Vault Security: DropBox (2 factor authentication) vs 1Password Account

Options
Leboyf
Leboyf
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

My Dropbox is secured with a strong password and a Two-factor authentication.

Is my vault about as safe using Dropbox as using a 1Password Account?

Thanks,

1Password Version: 7.0.553
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Leboyf: Using Dropbox to sync 1Password data is by no means insecure. 1Password uses end-to-end encryption, so it simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data.

However, 1Password.com accounts have an additional layer of security with the(128-bit, randomly-generated) Secret Key. The whole purpose of this is to prevent brute force attacks against your Master Password in the case of a server breach.

If you're using a long, strong, unique Master Password, you really shouldn't worry in either case. But this is an important difference between the two. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Leboyf
    Leboyf
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your short and clear answer. Really appreciated.

The safest way for me was to: not used the Internet to sync. That's why I was using WiFi sync.

I kind of disappointed it's not offered anymore.

Thanks,

• MikeT
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi @Leboyf,

Your local devices are as exposed as anyone else, especially with Wi-Fi network. How often have you revisited your network settings, change its passwords to keep it protected? Remember, your Wi-Fi network is accessible by anyone nearby and it can be hacked. There has been many weaknesses exposed in the past several years where anyone can drive by and attack your network, pull data out of it, and you won't even notice.

We've explained all the security benefits between WLAN sync, Dropbox and 1Password.com, 1Password.com is definitely not less secure than WLAN sync, please read the section Security of WLAN versus 1Password accounts in this first post: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/87524/on-wlan-sync-in-1password-7/p1

Your 1Password data is as protected as can be, it does not matter where you're syncing it. WLAN sync does not reduce the risk to your 1Password data.

This discussion has been closed.