I just wanted to check whether the gift cards can be used on 1password.eu

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@danco: Unfortunately gift cards are only available for 1Password.com currently, but we do hope to add them for 1Password.eu and 1Password.ca in the future. Cheers! :)

• @Brenty Could I ask why ? I'm surprised because the codes are generated by your company itself (I think), so I wonder what would be the issue in generating gift codes for other instances of 1password. Personally I would use 1password EU (Because of where I live, RGPD, privacy laws, etc.) if I decide to use your subscription plan and someone of your team @Ben I think, suggested me in another thread, the use of gift cards to prolong my eventual subscription more than one year. Luckily I found this thread before buying, but now I'm sincerely curious to know why it's not actually possible.
    Thanks,

• robrob Agile Customer Care

Team Member

Hi, @tetardbleu.

We do plan to offer gift cards for 1password.ca and 1password.eu eventually. The reason gift cards do not work on all three is that those three systems are completely separated. EU data is stored in Germany, CA in Canada, and COM in the US. They cannot share data between them, including gift cards.

Of course this isn't ideal for gift cards, but it was simplest to go ahead and make them available for 1password.com customers and then work on making them available for all customers. Otherwise, if we waited until they were available for everyone, we simply would have no gift cards at all right now. :)

• edited July 2018

I totally understood the complete geographical separation. Bottom line that's why I wanted to use .eu. I read, however, that all three 1password had the same features, that's why I wonder what's technically or maybe legally blocking gift cards for other countries. To be clear, I understand that 1password.com's gift cards cannot be used in Canada or Europe, but as the cards are in fact virtual (we receive a code by e-mail that we can use when purchasing, right ?) why not then creating separates codes (cards) for other systems ? I'm happy to know you'll do it one day, but I don't understand what's keeping you from doing it until then, still assuming that we are talking about randomly generated codes, of course.

• robrob Agile Customer Care

Team Member

I believe one of the hurdles right now is determining how to sell them without customers getting confused and buying one for the wrong environment. Ideally we'd find a way for gift cards to work in any environment instead to avoid this problem.

• OK that would be great, but if cards are clearly categorized in your store, or if the user has to choose for which region he wants a card before buying, it could also work. Just an idea. In the meantime, I'll wait thanks.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

OK that would be great, but if cards are clearly categorized in your store, or if the user has to choose for which region he wants a card before buying, it could also work.

Fingers crossed. :)

Ben

• edited July 2018

Plus I forgot to add : as you've chosen not to advertise about .eu and .ca, I guess only people who "know what they are doing" will choose a specific region/country card. I admit, however, that observing how many people seem confused about membership/family/standalone, I may be wrong...

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

I admit, however, that observing how many people seem confused about membership/family/standalone, I may be wrong...

Heh, welcome to my world. :)

Ben

• Apologies (again :S) for reviving an old thread, however it was earlier said that gift-cards will work on the .com - is this specific to only that suffix? Or are they applicable to other top-level domain signifies? Such as, I dunno, maybe a .com.au ?
    Or by you sayinh
    >Unfortunately gift cards are only available for 1Password.com ....
    Do you really mean American-only (even though when I login my domain is the as previously posted).

I'm quite keen on buying some so I would be quite happy if this isn't the case.

Keep up the great work guys!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@tyrael: Correct. Only 1Password.com gift cards are available. Hopefully we'll be able to offer others in the future too though.

We do not, however, have a server in Australia at all. So that's a bigger ask. ;)

Just keep in mind that you don't need to be in a specific place to use a membership for 1Password.com, 1Password.eu, or 1Password.ca.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file