Improvements to Password Category

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

What I do and did previously was to save a new login for changed passwords as if I have e.g. 300 passwords without a history, I don't know which passwords belong to which login. I do so so as to have a link? Passwords never had a link, like Apple passwords don't reflect apple.com or icloud, etc.

Watchtower is great but I still have a lot of stray passwords.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Indeed, we only get more of this stuff over time. The duplicates feature in 1Password for Mac version 7 should help with this, and we'll see if there are other things we can do to make it easier as well. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Brent

Unfortunately, I am not getting 1Password 7 for Mac as my aging Mac hardware can't run Sierra/High Sierra. My Mac can only run El Capitan. I'll be stuck with 1Password 7 for Windows, iOS, and in future, Android, when it gets to 1Password 7.

iOS and Android are still behind the Desktop versions and 1Password X is also new. 1Password.com is also catching up though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, we're making progress on a number of fronts. One step at a time. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

What is the best way to handle concatenated passwords as there have been requests to go further than what is being offered now?

Adobe I think allows for 100 characters max in their login passwords, although it seems extreme.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

What is the best way to handle concatenated passwords as there have been requests to go further than what is being offered now?

@wkleem: What did you have in mind?

Adobe I think allows for 100 characters max in their login passwords, although it seems extreme.

That does seem like overkill, but no harm in it. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

In previous discussions about bitcoin, the bitcoin wallet passphrase is quite lengthy and longer than what 1Password can handle.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/82291/bitcoin-12-word-code-in-1password

I would like to be able separate current passwords with a '-' (dash). The limitation of 1Password for Windows does not allow viewing more than half of the characters in 1Password Generator : (27/64 visible/hidden).

I would possibly need to cut and paste passwords and add a separator.

On the positive side, I looked at 1Password X v1.7.1 Password Generator and found PIN code there. :) 1Password 7 does not yet support all numeric PINs.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We'll be rolling out the changes we've made to this in 1Password X in the other apps as well in the future. :)

Getting a bit off-topic, but a 12-word generated password suing 1Password's Wordlist would be roughly 169 bits of entropy. Creating an equally strong character-based password would require only 26 characters in 1Password X (using both numbers and symbols, along with alpha — ~170 bits total).

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thanks, although partially obscured passwords are a nuisance. Agilebits couldn't make the window adjustable or have "tool tip"/large text capability from within 1Password Generator? I suppose I will have to live with it. I previously commented on how in iOS the Password Generator is capable of word wraparound.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: It's not possible in the current design, but perhaps that will be possible in the future. Can you elaborate on the use case though?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

It's not possible in the current design, but perhaps that will be possible in the future. Can you elaborate on the use case though?

Hi

Because too long a password gets truncated (obscured) in the Password Generator, I was hoping there will be a way to seeing all 64 characters before the password gets into the login. I keep generating passwords but sometimes just to see them whole in a login. I suppose I don't like truncated or obscured passwords in 1Password Generator?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I guess what I mean is...why do you need to see it? What are you trying to do with it?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@brenty,

Just trying, if I cannot see the whole password length, 1Password Generator allows me to insert breaks into the Generator but I haven't yet tried if other characters are ignored, like 6 spaces in a 64 character password inside the Generator = 70 characters?

Mainly I get want to see the whole password.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not aware of any plans to change this, but if there are enough compelling arguments to do so perhaps we can consider.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben

• @wkleem: Not that it's the most fun thing to do in the world, but if you place your cursor near the end of what you can see, then use the right arrow key, you scroll through to see the rest of a long password in the generator on Windows. You can also drag your mouse to highlight the password text causing it to scroll to the right and reveal more. That goes a bit fast for me to read the password, personally, but with adequate fine motor skills, perhaps you could manage. :wink:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! bundtkate,

It never occurred to me to select passwords by highlighting them. I'll try it out.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1::chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.