Firefox extension not downloading

pjain
pjain
Community Member

Firefox 59.0.2
The Firefox extension does not download.
It keeps saying - the add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure. If I try downloading manually, it downloads the chrome extension that doesn't open with Firefox.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:firefox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@pjain: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! That means that a secure connection cannot be established to our server. In that case, it will be rejected. You should be able to download the extension using a different web browser and drag it to Firefox as a workaround (you can select Firefox on the bottom of the page), but you should definitely look into what's preventing Firefox from connecting securely on your system. Often "security" software is the culprit, but 3rd party content blockers can cause this too. Let me know what you find.

• pjain
    pjain
    Community Member

Thanks
    It worked when I downloaded using Chrome, not with Safari - though I'm not sure why it says desktop app required - my friend's browser doesn't say that.

I do have an anti-virus (AVG) and some 3rd party content blockers as well, but I don't know how to look into what's preventing Firefox from connecting securely on my system.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It worked when I downloaded using Chrome, not with Safari - though I'm not sure why it says desktop app required - my friend's browser doesn't say that.

@pjain: That's actually the the name of the extension, as we want people to know that it won't function without the native app. It can be a real bummer when people try to install it and use it by itself!

I do have an anti-virus (AVG) and some 3rd party content blockers as well, but I don't know how to look into what's preventing Firefox from connecting securely on my system.

It is interesting that it works in Chrome but not Firefox or Safari. I can't remember offhand about Chrome, but I know that Safari uses the system Keychain for root certificates for validating secure connections to websites, and Firefox uses its own built in root store for that purpose. So perhaps some software on your system is modifying those, which prevents Firefox and Safari from connecting securely. That's not uncommon, as many "security" suites actually inject their own self-signed certificates so they can decrypt all of your web traffic — even for secure connections — and scan it. Often this is called something like "web shield", "SSL/TLS scanning", "HTTPS filtering", etc.

But you're right that you can probably still access other sites. Most are less strict about this, but at AgileBits we absolutely want to be sure that the connection is secure. After all, you're coming to us to help you be more secure online, and it would be an absolute horror if anyone malicious were able to perform a man-in-the-middle attack in order to spy on your financial transactions with AgileBits or offering you false information or files to download while masquerading as us. If we can't establish a connection that's encrypted from us to you, we'll refuse it.

Ultimately I can only give you suggestions about what to look for, as you'll need to get things sorted out on your system yourself. it isn't something we can do for you, and we're not going to weaken the security of our systems, as that would affect all of our customers. :blush:

• Bob213
    Bob213
    Community Member

I'm having exactly the same issue. I've tried white-listing agilebits.com and 1password.com in my security software. I've even tried turning off a feature titled "Scan secured connections" but nothing I've tried works. Additionally, when I try to manually download the extension, my browser grabs a ".crx" file titled "1password-4.7.190.crx" but according to your support page, shouldn't it be downloading a .xpi file? Firefox doesn't seem to know what to do with .crx files.

I found this add-on through Mozilla's official add-ons site. Is this a legitimate plug-in from AgileBits? Is it safe to install this?
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1password-x-password-manager/

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2018

Hi @Bob213,

Please try this link directly:

https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/ext/1Password-4.7.1.90.xpi

The one you see in the Mozilla extension gallery is from us, and will work if you have a 1Password membership.

Ben

• Bob213
    Bob213
    Community Member

Hi @Ben thanks for the help. That link worked back when I needed to install it on my computer. Unfortunately, I was trying to setup one of my family member's Mac last night and had the exact same issue. However, when I tried the same link you posted on their computer it wouldn't work. Is that link out of date since you sent it a few weeks ago? Also, is there a reason why this is happening on more than one Mac and on more than one internet connection when I try to install from the downloads page on your site? The Mac my family member had was brand new, and 1password was the first thing we installed. And there was definitely no sort of firewall on the internet connection. Any ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bob213: That link definitely works. I'm not sure what's going on with your Macs. Are you and your family all using the same "security" software or 3rd party extensions that are interfering? I went into a lot more detail about this above:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/429113/#Comment_429113

You should be able to work around it by using a different browser to download the extension. But, suffice to say, it's worth looking into why you're unable to do that in Firefox. That isn't something we have control over I'm afraid.

This discussion has been closed.