Share through email/whatsapp/others

vishalsheth
vishalsheth
Community Member

Is it possible to share items through email? I may need to share with someone but can't say it. I'd like to share securely. I should get option to share with other through different means. The item remains secure and only can be opened by the person with whom it's shared.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2018

Hi @vishalsheth,

The difficulty with trying to share 1Password data this way is that in order for the person on the other end to be able to do anything with the data we have to send it unencrypted. If we sent it encrypted they would need to know a pre-defined secret in order to decrypt it, which seemingly defeats the purpose (if you had a secure way to share the encryption key with them you’d use that method to share your other secrets with them as well). Email is an inherently insecure protocol. It wasn’t designed with security in mind. Messages sent through email are not encrypted, and so if you were to email someone 1Password data it would (generally 1) not be protected at all.

The recommended solution to all of this is 1Password membership. With 1Password membership each person you wish to share with will set up an account within your membership and that way data can be shared securely (encrypted), and the only people who will have the keys to decrypt the data are those who you invite to create accounts. You can read more about this here:

Create, share, and manage vaults in your team

You can learn more about the benefits of membership here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

And if you decide you’re interested you can learn about how to migrate here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

P.S. I see you specifically mentioned WhatsApp as well. I don’t know enough about WhatsApp to speak intelegently about it. I understand that it does do some level of encryption of conversations, but I don’t know much beyond that. If you were to send unencrypted 1Password data through it you’d be relying entirely on whatever level of protection WhatsApp provides for that data.

I hope that helps!

Ben

1. It is possible to encrypt email, but it involves using technologies that can be rather complex and intimidating. The two more popular options are PGP and S/MIME. If you have secure email set up between yourself and the person(s) you want to share with using one of those options then you could email 1Password data. The trick is to make absolutely certain that the data is PGP or S/MIME encrypted before hitting send. ↩︎

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member

Lastpass does share through email. I'm aware of it as I've used it. It was secure. So I was wondering if email and other platforms would be a good option to share with someone if needed. It's convenient.
    You've share link to move 1Password data to 1Password account. Why? How would it help?

• It was secure.

How so?

You've share link to move 1Password data to 1Password account. Why? How would it help?

A 1Password membership would allow you to set up vaults that can be securely shared with others that you invite to your membership. They do not need to know your Master Password, and would instead set up their own Master Password that they would use to access 1Password. The information you share with them would be end-to-end encrypted.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.