1 Item - Multiple Vaults?

Hi,

We currently use a vault for each of the teams within our business. Some of our accounts are used by multiple teams (e.g. MailChimp is used by marketing as well as product). Is there a way to have the same item in both their vaults, with both staying up-to-date?

Aka/eg - If I make a copy of the MailChimp login in the marketing vault we have, to the product vault - when marketing updates their password through 1PW, will this also update in the product vault?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @gaiacorno,

1Password does not currently have any concept of “linked items” across vaults, whereby updates to an item in one vault would be reflected on an item in a different vault. In cases like this the best solution, currently, may be a third “marketing + product” vault in which to store items that are shared across teams. This is definitely an interesting idea though. I can see how having the ability for items to exist across vaults would be handy. I’ll certainly pass the suggestion along to the rest of the team. :)

Ben

• Ben,

I would also like the feature of one item living in multiple vaults so that I only maintain one item and the changes are reflected across multiple vaults. The use case that I have right now is to share the credit card details for our company with some but not all people. The credit card lives in the "financial" vault, but it needs to be used in the "marketing" vault.

Thank you!

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

Welcome to the forum, @jjdahl! I can't say what might be coming in the future but for now, there's no mechanism to do what you're asking for. You can certainly make copies of data and put multiple copies of items in multiple vaults...but we don't recommend this because those copies are independent of one another; they will not sync with one another. For the present, 1Password's shared syncing is vault-based: if you have a record (or more than one) that needs to be shared with certain people, and they need ongoing access to it including any changes (i.e., sync), then those items need to be put into a vault by themselves. Access to that vault can then be given to any subset of team members you wish (assuming you're an Administrator or Owner of the account).

• I'd really like to see this feature, too.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@sponch - thanks for weighing in. :)

• This seems to be the most important thing to focus on given that LastPass and Dashlane do this. I’m coming from LastPass and feel that this feature is a showstopper for completely leaving that system. This is the most common use case we have for using a service like this. So, please escalate this. I would think using a tag system across vaults to share would be ideal. But, at the very least, sharing individual or folders of paswords with multiple intersecting groups is what we are looking for.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@Bjdavis22: Tags do not offer security. Please see my reply here, and stop posting the same thing in multiple places, as that just slows down response times for everyone — including you. You can share vaults with groups of people.

• @Bjdavis22 You're wrong anyway - you can't save sites to multiple folders in Lastpass https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=4426

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

Welcome to the forum, @TheHooond! Thanks for the link. :) :+1:

• Thanks @Lars. I’ve just moved over from Lastpass. Your integration with HIBP won me over.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@TheHooond - that came together very quickly. Troy announced it, and as soon as we saw it, we loved it -- and also realized that we could integrate it into Watchtower without too much difficulty. I'm glad you're a fan of HIBP and 1Password's integration of it -- welcome! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file