How to use 1Password 7.0.BETA-11 (and later) in Safari

If you've been using the previous betas of 1Password 7 within Safari, you'll need to do a little legwork with the arrival of beta 11.

We have made the tough decision to hold back our new Safari App Extension until a later release and have restored our previous Safari extension.

After you install 7.0.BETA-11 (and later), restart Safari and visit https://1password.com/browsers/ to reinstall the Safari extension.

If you have any trouble at all, please leave a comment below. Thanks!

Comments

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@MrRooni Thanks for giving us a solution! Great work.

• Thanks for the kind words, @iamecho

• thomas089
    thomas089
    Community Member

I cannot install the Safari plugin 4.7.1. I click on "trust" and nothing happens, it does not shop up.

• jdmass
    jdmass
    Community Member

I just installed beta 11 and, as instructed downloaded the Safari extension from the link provided: 1Password-4.7.1.safariextz. I double click on the file to install the extension. The Extensions popup asks if I'm sure I want to install this extension. I click Trust, and nothing happens. No 1PW Safari extension is installed. Any suggestions?

• @thomas089 @jdmass I'm sorry to hear that you've run into a spot of trouble. I just tested it myself and was able to successfully install 4.7.1. Have you installed 1Password 7.0.BETA-11 already? I wonder if an older beta is interfering here.

• jdmass
    jdmass
    Community Member

I'm running beta-11

• thomas089
    thomas089
    Community Member

yes:
    1Password 7
    Version 7.0.BETA-11 (70000011)
    AgileBits Beta

• Interesting. We're not seeing that internally at all. What OS version are you running?

• jdmass
    jdmass
    Community Member

I rebooted my Mac and then was able to successfully install the Safari extension.
    I am running MacOS 10.13.4

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

I seem to have ended up with both extensions in my Safari (and Safari Technology Preview), ie. both "1Password 4.7.1 by AgileBits" and "1Password 7.0.BETA-10 from 1Password 7". I disabled the 7.0 BETA-10 one, as it couldn't be uninstalled. The message was "The '1Password' extension is part of the '1Password 7' application. - To uninstall '1Password', you must remove the '1Password 7' application." Anyway I assume disabling the beta extension was the right thing to do for now.

• @mirv Until you update to beta 11 you won't be able to install version 4.7.1 of our other extension.

@jdmass Glad a reboot kicked things into gear. @thomas089 any luck with that for you?

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

Yes I did update to the 1Password beta 11 app, and as I said the 4.7.1 extension installed but the earlier beta extension stayed around, both enabled.

• thomas089
    thomas089
    Community Member

Yes, indeed. Reboot did the trick, now the extension was able to install. Thanks.

• ojix2
    ojix2
    Community Member

I applied beta 11 and installed Safari extension 4.7.1.safariextz successfully, but clicking the 1Password icon in the Safari menu bar caused nothing. It did not start 1Password app, nor filled in passwords.

So I removed the 1Password app from the Application folder to the trash, and rebooted my Mac.
    Then I reinstalled both beta 11 and the 4.7.1.safariextz again, and now it works fine.

I am not sure which did a trick, reinstallation of 1Password app from a scratch or rebooting the Mac, but I am ok anyway.

MacOS 10.13.4
    Safari 11.1 (13605.1.33.1.4)

• andrewjanjigian
    andrewjanjigian
    Community Member

no dice, none of these tricks helped. double clicking the extension does nothing at all. Reinstalled the beta, rebooted, quit safari and restarted, nada.

• andrewjanjigian
    andrewjanjigian
    Community Member

Downloaded 4.7.0 from the Apple extensions gallery, and I have it back, but I take it that's not the "right" extension. If I try double clinking the 4.7.1 ext, I get "An error occurred while installing the extension “1Password”."

• macjeffva
    macjeffva
    Community Member

I got it to work but dont have the time to figure out exactly. I created a new user and it installed fine in that user.

So I went to my user/Library folder (~/Library) and I did process of elimination and figured out the culprit is in the LaunchAgents folder. If someone has time and verifies the same thing I would love to know what it is but before I thought about it, I deleted anything in there with dates older than 2018 in the LaunchAgents folder and I am working fine now. But the proper procedure would have been this.....

Remove that folder and log out and back in. Verify the extension installs.

If it does put back in 1/2 of the files. (log out and back in) and verify the extension installs.

If so try 1/2 of the remaining files. If it does not work remove 1/2 of the files you just put in. Keep doing this until you can narrow down the file. If you tell me the exact name I can let you know if I had it and even help identify it.

But my goal now was to get working so I took the easy route.

• cwisniewski
    cwisniewski
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

My copy of the v7 beta just announced on one of my Macs that an update was available, so I happily updated that machine. I noticed the "We have made the tough decision to hold back our new Safari App Extension until a later release and have restored our previous Safari extension. / Please visit our browser extension page to reinstall the Safari extension after you install this beta." instruction (my emphasis) in the release notes.

So I did what was asked of me and dutifully tried to reinstall the extension afterward. I have both standard Safari and Safari Technology Preview running on this machine (as well as Firefox and Chrome).

In version 11.1 (13605.1.33.1.4) of Safari, the extension was identified as "1Password 7.0 BETA-10." Selecting the only button available to me, "Uninstall," results in an alert message: "The “1Password” extension is part of the “1Password 7” application. / To uninstall “1Password”, you must remove the “1Password 7” application." -- that seems at odds with your intention/instruction.

In release 55 (Safari 11.2, WebKit 13606.1.15) of Safari Technology Preview the extension was identified as "1Password 4.7.1." Selecting the only button available to me, "Uninstall," results in an alert message (as I have long come to expect) : "Are you sure you want to uninstall the extension “1Password”? / You can’t undo this action."

Not exactly sure of what you might have been referring to by 'restored our previous Safari extension' (the beta-10 version or the non-beta version), I uninstalled the extension that was visible from within Safari Technology Preview's extensions Preferences pane (version 4.7.1), then visited AgileBit's Safari extension page via Safari Technology Preview, downloaded the beta version of the extension, and installed it. Version 4.7.1 is once again running. Ah, I thought, the word 'previous' in the release notes must be referring to the non-beta version of the extension! So far, the extension seems to be working.

But in plain, ol' Safari, to avoid uninstalling 1Password v7 beta 11, I merely visited AgileBit's Safari extension page via Safari, downloaded the beta version of the extension, and installed it. Version 4.7.1 of the extension was then installed along side the still-remaining 1Password 7.0 BETA-10 copy of the extension. I left the v 4.7.1 extension enabled (checked) and disabled (unchecked) the v 7 beta 10 extension. As with Safari Technology Preview, everything seems to work just fine. Indeed things are working A LOT better in both Safari and Safari Technology Preview than they were when I was using the previous version of the program (beta 10) and its accompanying extension. That is, even before installing the beta 11 version of the program, when visiting many sites that have matching URLs for various 1Password entries, clicking on the 1password icon in the toolbar of the browser window (any browser, not just Apple's) nevertheless often resulted in no response whatsoever (no helper popped up). That wasn't a universal problem, though, and I had not yet figured out the pattern of why or which some sites worked while others did not---so that is why I had not yet filed a bug report. But the now-active extension, 4.7.1, does seem to be universally working.

After that long preamble, here is my question: Do you know if I will have to, at some point, uninstall the application itself to remove the 1Password 7.0 BETA-10" extension from Safari, or will, upon AgileBits issuing a new 7.0 beta-related extension in the future automatically cause the 7.0 beta-10 extension to get replaced with what is then the correct version of the extension (at which point, I presume, I can delete/remove the 4.7.1 version of the extension)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cwisniewski: Glad to hear that things are working better for you in Safari now! :)

After that long preamble, here is my question: Do you know if I will have to, at some point, uninstall the application itself to remove the 1Password 7.0 BETA-10" extension from Safari, or will, upon AgileBits issuing a new 7.0 beta-related extension in the future automatically cause the 7.0 beta-10 extension to get replaced with what is then the correct version of the extension (at which point, I presume, I can delete/remove the 4.7.1 version of the extension)?

It sounds like you've got some stuff hanging around from the previous version. Please do the following:

1. Do a Spotlight search for "1Password"
    2. Drag any copies of the app you find to the Trash (you can Shift-double-click on a search result to show the file in Finder)
    3. Remove anything named "1Password" that you can from Safari Preferences > Extensions
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. Install the latest beta: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7
    6. Install the latest extension: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So I went to my user/Library folder (~/Library) and I did process of elimination and figured out the culprit is in the LaunchAgents folder. If someone has time and verifies the same thing I would love to know what it is but before I thought about it, I deleted anything in there with dates older than 2018 in the LaunchAgents folder and I am working fine now. But the proper procedure would have been this.....

@macjeffva: I'm not quite sure what you're doing here. What are you deleting exactly and why?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Downloaded 4.7.0 from the Apple extensions gallery, and I have it back, but I take it that's not the "right" extension. If I try double clinking the 4.7.1 ext, I get "An error occurred while installing the extension “1Password”."

@andrewjanjigian: Indeed, sorry for the trouble! It sounds like Safari is a bit mixed up, giving you that error when you try to install the new extension rather than simply removing the old one for you. Are you able to remove it manually from Safari Preferences > Extensions?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I am not sure which did a trick, reinstallation of 1Password app from a scratch or rebooting the Mac, but I am ok anyway.

@ojix2: Good to know! I suspect the reboot helped, since macOS may have still had part of 1Password running in the background. Glad to hear you're all set, but we're here if you need us. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yes, indeed. Reboot did the trick, now the extension was able to install. Thanks.

@thomas089: Thanks for letting us know! I suspect that may help others. :)

Yes I did update to the 1Password beta 11 app, and as I said the 4.7.1 extension installed but the earlier beta extension stayed around, both enabled.

@mirv: Please follow my instructions here to make sure you clear out the older stuff and install the new. Rebooting will help with that. Let me know how it goes. :)

• macjeffva
    macjeffva
    Community Member

All I know is one of the launch agents was keeping one password extension from installing.

I would click on the extension, click trust, and it would not install.

Rebooted and nothing.

Removed all launch agents and it worked.

Added 1/2 back in and problem came back.

Removed that 1/2 and added the other 1/2 and it worked.

I could have kept narrowing it down but did not have time.

So I uninstalled it and deleted old launch agents in the bad 1/2 that are from apps I don’t use anymore or that are older than 2 years. And then put the test back in and it’s working now. I can uninstall and install the extension at will now.

There are people out that that have installled beta 11 and rebooted and still can’t get it to install. So I was posting my finds.

Jeff

• bgareffa
    bgareffa
    Community Member

Hi everyone,

I'm afraid I've missed some news at some point and I want to learn more about what's going on with the Safari extension. What was this new Safari extension you were working on and why did it need to happen for 1Password 7? How does the previous extension differ?

Sorry that I'm uninformed!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi everyone,
    I'm afraid I've missed some news at some point and I want to learn more about what's going on with the Safari extension. What was this new Safari extension you were working on and why did it need to happen for 1Password 7? How does the previous extension differ?
    Sorry that I'm uninformed!

@bgareffa: No need to apologize. Thanks for asking! Apple has introduced Safari app extensions, which allow more direct integration with their browser. I don't want to squander your goodwill here (or anyone else's) by going too far into it, but there are a few key benefits that we'd like 1Password to be able to take advantage of, if not now then in the future:

• Reliablity — Traditionally we've used WebSockets to communicate between 1Password and the browser, but often 3rd party software can interfere with this. Safari app extensions can help with direct communication. Nice!
    • Convenience — By now, you're all familiar with installing browser extensions separately. Safari app extensions mean that this ships in the app itself, so Safari automatically has the latest version whenever you update 1Password. Easy!
    • Security — It isn't insecure as-is, but removing a moving part (separate extension) means that we can have a single signed app that integrates directly into the browser, without having another thing to have to download and install.

There are obviously some kinks to work out with Safari app extensions, but we'll continue to work on it so that we can bring it back in the future once it's ready. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

All I know is one of the launch agents was keeping one password extension from installing.

@macjeffva: How do you know that? Is there an earlier post of yours that I'm missing? Sorry if I've overlooked something! I'm intrigued. :)

I would click on the extension, click trust, and it would not install.
    Rebooted and nothing.
    Removed all launch agents and it worked.
    Added 1/2 back in and problem came back.
    Removed that 1/2 and added the other 1/2 and it worked.
    I could have kept narrowing it down but did not have time.
    So I uninstalled it and deleted old launch agents in the bad 1/2 that are from apps I don’t use anymore or that are older than 2 years. And then put the test back in and it’s working now. I can uninstall and install the extension at will now.
    There are people out that that have installled beta 11 and rebooted and still can’t get it to install. So I was posting my finds.

Thank you for doing so! I guess I'm just confused because 1Password doesn't currently use a launch agent. And I can't think of why another app's launch agent would affect 1Password — though there may be some 3rd party software out there that does. Any additional details you can provide will be appreciated, as it may help others. Cheers! :)

• bgareffa
    bgareffa
    Community Member

@brenty Ok, gotcha. So it's more of an under-the-hood thing with the way that the extension integrates with the Safari, but a pretty similar piece of software and GUI on top? Seems like a step forward to be able to interface directly with the browser, but this is still Safari's own special format - not the same one as Chrome and Firefox use right? Hence the 1Password X on Safari challenge...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ok, gotcha. So it's more of an under-the-hood thing with the way that the extension integrates with the Safari, but a pretty similar piece of software and GUI on top?

@bgareffa: Haha you ask the best questions! Confusingly, the UI isn't anything in the browser. The 1Password desktop extensions are really just a way for us to connect there; the UI is all the 1Password app itself. Does that make sense? I hope I'm explaining this well! :lol:

Seems like a step forward to be able to interface directly with the browser, but this is still Safari's own special format - not the same one as Chrome and Firefox use right? Hence the 1Password X on Safari challenge...

Exactly! Firefox and Chrome got their new extension stuff last summer, so while there were some growing pains there too, things have settled down since then. The Safari app extension is brand new for us, so we — and you — are getting a bit of a bumpy ride starting out, but I'm sure that we'll get through the turbulence to clear skies in time. :sunglasses:

• macjeffva
    macjeffva
    Community Member

Brently.....The launch agent is preventing some extensions from installing NOT JUST 1Password. If I installed from the safari gallery they worked. But if I downloaded extensions and double click to install they would act like they installed but never would. I wish I had figured it out now. I deleted the launch agents I did not need (old remnants of stuff) and it worked. I bet others will run into this but its not your issue. I just wanted you to be aware that this is out there and if anyone else cant install the extension to temporarily disable the user launch agents to see if it fixes.

This discussion has been closed.