How to use 1Password 7.0.BETA-11 (and later) in Safari

Options

Comments

• bgareffa
    bgareffa
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Cool! Yeah, I think I've caught on a bit! Thank you for the explanations.

I really appreciate everything you all do to constantly iterate and improve. I always love seeing new updates to 1Password everywhere I use it - and that seems like a weird thing to say about a password management utility! Goes to show the strength of the service you provide and the customer service and connection that goes along with it.

Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Brently.....The launch agent is preventing some extensions from installing NOT JUST 1Password.

@macjeffva: Aha! That's different than what I thought you were saying. Thank you! I'm really interested in this because of some other known issues with Safari (which I alluded to earlier) failing to install extensions.

If I installed from the safari gallery they worked. But if I downloaded extensions and double click to install they would act like they installed but never would. I wish I had figured it out now. I deleted the launch agents I did not need (old remnants of stuff) and it worked. I bet others will run into this but its not your issue. I just wanted you to be aware that this is out there and if anyone else cant install the extension to temporarily disable the user launch agents to see if it fixes.

Definitely! I really appreciate it. Hopefully you won't encounter further issues, but if you do please let me know. :)

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

@brenty I also can't install the extension with the new beta. I even tried to completely reinstall 1Password 7 (after a wipe with CleanMyMac). But still, Safari doesn't want to load the extension.

The extension version number is 4.7.1, even for the beta?

1Password 7
    Version 7.0.BETA-11 (70000011)
    AgileBits bêta

macOS 10.13.4 (17E202)
    Safari 11.1 (13605.1.33.1.4)

• thibaut
    thibaut
    Community Member
    Options

@EVERYONE

If you encounter the issue of not being able to install the Safari extension after beta 11 upgrade, the solution is below. I just tried and it worked directly.

For those having difficulty installing the extension, there is a years-old bug in Safari whereby clicking “Trust” does nothing. Try navigating via keyboard to the “Trust” button and press the Spacebar.

If you can't navigate the controls via the keyboard:

Enable Full Keyboard Access for “All Controls" in macOS Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/429053/#Comment_429053

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cool! Yeah, I think I've caught on a bit! Thank you for the explanations.
    I really appreciate everything you all do to constantly iterate and improve. I always love seeing new updates to 1Password everywhere I use it - and that seems like a weird thing to say about a password management utility! Goes to show the strength of the service you provide and the customer service and connection that goes along with it.
    Thanks again!

@bgareffa: You're very welcome! And likewise, thanks for the kind words, supporting us, and participating in the beta so we can make 1Password better for everyone! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I also can't install the extension with the new beta. I even tried to completely reinstall 1Password 7 (after a wipe with CleanMyMac). But still, Safari doesn't want to load the extension.

@thibaut: Just to clarify, we definitely do not recommend using "cleaner" apps to uninstall 1Password, as they often also delete people's 1Password data, which is generally not what we want. It does sound like the issue you're having is with Safari though. More on that later.

The extension version number is 4.7.1, even for the beta?

Yep! All of the 1Password desktop apps use the same extensions. :)

If you encounter the issue of not being able to install the Safari extension after beta 11 upgrade, the solution is below. I just tried and it worked directly.

For those having difficulty installing the extension, there is a years-old bug in Safari whereby clicking “Trust” does nothing. Try navigating via keyboard to the “Trust” button and press the Spacebar.

If you can't navigate the controls via the keyboard:

Enable Full Keyboard Access for “All Controls" in macOS Settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/429053/#Comment_429053

Thanks for sharing! Honestly, that's one Safari issue I'd almost forgotten about. I'm glad you were able to work around it.

But anyone else having issues, definitely reach out, especially if that doesn't help you. Even when something is broken with Safari, we can probably at least point you in the right direction. We encounter many of these issues ourselves after all. :blush:

• Tanax
    Tanax
    Community Member
    Options

@thibaut Thanks man, this worked!! I didn't want to have to reboot the computer as I'm in the middle of working right now. Your solution did the trick fabulously! :)

Sad to see the built-in extension being pulled but that's what beta's are for. I trust that it will be refined and improved in time for the 1P7 release!

• Absolute
    Absolute
    Community Member
    Options

All my previous woes with Beta7 & Safari have disappeared since Beta7-11 & the older 4.7.1 Safari extension.

Every autofill now works super fast and reliably. Also good to see 1P back in Services.

Keep up the excellent work towards a final release.

• Phil7
    Phil7
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Install the Safari extension
    2. When clicking, it shift to 1Password, so I can't use it in Safari.
    3. After restarting the Mac, all is right

Excuse me for my bad english spoken.

• dansteeves68
    dansteeves68
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @thibaut , using the keyboard to select "Trust" solved the issue for me.

• babauer
    babauer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi-
    Nothing works to install the extension 4.7.1

• restarting
    • downloading 4.7.1 from Agilebits
    • using keyboard to hit "trust" button
    • installing from Safari gallery
      I'm running

• 1Password 7
      Version 7.0.BETA-11 (70000011)

• Safari Tech Preview Release 55 (Safari 11.2, WebKit 13606.1.15)

• MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5 Beta (17F66a)
  • neonate48
    neonate48
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I did this this morning ---> "After you install 7.0.BETA-11, restart Safari and visit https://1password.com/browsers/ to reinstall the Safari extension." Everything thing works fine until I close Safari. When I open it again the 1Password extension is completely missing... I have tried this about 5 times with the same result...

• a.jaffe
    a.jaffe
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem, getting to "Cancel" vs "Trust" but being unable to actually install. For what it's worth, the upgrade from beta 9 happened automatically, while I was away from the computer for a whole week until just now, and when I woke from sleep the program upgraded and then I went to the extension web page, downloaded, and encountered the problem. I could install from the Apple Safari extension gallery, but not the *.safariext download. Eventually after various Safari restarts and machine reboots, it did work, but I'm not sure what exactly happened... (But I may have either more or less trouble when I get back to my other machine tomorrow...)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@a.jaffe: Indeed, I think we're seeing more of these Safari issues because of switching back and forth between the new Safari app extension (currently not in 1Password 7 beta) and the older extension setup we've been using. Glad you were able to get it working, and hopefully some of these issues get ironed out over time as Apple continues developing Safari.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sad to see the built-in extension being pulled but that's what beta's are for. I trust that it will be refined and improved in time for the 1P7 release!

@Tenex: Thanks for the encouragement! Indeed, this wasn't something we wanted to do either, but we'll continue to work at it to get things to the point where we can hopefully reinstate the Safari app extension in the future. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

All my previous woes with Beta7 & Safari have disappeared since Beta7-11 & the older 4.7.1 Safari extension. Every autofill now works super fast and reliably. Also good to see 1P back in Services. Keep up the excellent work towards a final release.

@Mike of Oxford: Glad to hear that helped! Thanks for the kind words, and for participating in the beta so we can work to make 1Password 7 the best it can be. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi- Nothing works to install the extension 4.7.1

@babauer: Can you elaborate? Are you getting some sort of error message? Please be specific so we can help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I did this this morning ---> "After you install 7.0.BETA-11, restart Safari and visit https://1password.com/browsers/ to reinstall the Safari extension." Everything thing works fine until I close Safari. When I open it again the 1Password extension is completely missing... I have tried this about 5 times with the same result...

@neonate48: Thanks for the info! I'm sorry you're having trouble. Please follow my instructions here and let me know if that helps.

• neonate48
    neonate48
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty --- I posted the same question to another topic area. (sorry --- i am new to posting here)

@rudy responded with this:
    do you have multiple copies of 1Password 7 installed? the most likely scenario is that Apple's pkd (plugin kit daemon) is detecting one of those other copies which is instructed to remove the non-Safari App Extension version of the extension.
    Rudy

I followed @rudy suggestion: My problem was I had a clone of my hard drive always mounted. As soon as I elected the cloned drive the 1password extension starting working as expected....

Thank you for responding to my query --- Cliff

• Rez
    Rez
    Community Member
    Options

I was also unable to get the extension to install and tried all the work arounds documented but nothing worked. This is on a machine that I access mostly via ARD and on a hunch I went to the machine and used it's attached mouse to click on Trust and that worked.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I posted the same question to another topic area. (sorry --- i am new to posting here) [...] I followed @rudy suggestion: My problem was I had a clone of my hard drive always mounted. As soon as I elected the cloned drive the 1password extension starting working as expected.... Thank you for responding to my query --- Cliff

@neonate48: You're totally welcome! I did come across that a bit ago. Just glad to hear all is well again. We're here if you need us! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I was also unable to get the extension to install and tried all the work arounds documented but nothing worked. This is on a machine that I access mostly via ARD and on a hunch I went to the machine and used it's attached mouse to click on Trust and that worked.

@Rez: That's really interesting. Thanks for letting us know! Perhaps that will help others as well. :)

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Even after following the instructions you provided twice, it still won't install for me. I've tried multiple uninstalls and multiple restarts at different stages of the process. Is there a way to do a complete clean uninstall and re-install other than using something like CleanMyMac which you frown upon?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jcsully217: I don't have anything against "cleaner" apps personally, just that they often delete people's data and that sucks. :blush:

I appreciate you reaching out about this. I suspect we're dealing with a known Safari issue, but I don't want to assume anything. Can you clarify what's happening in your case, when you say "it still won't install"?

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I downloaded the Safari extension then double click to run, click on Trust nothing happens. Restarted Safari, it doesn't show, restart the Mac it doesn't show, try again, still doesn't show.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled 1Password 7, three times now as well.

• robbyberman
    robbyberman
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Anyone else having entire-system freezes in Safari since going back to the extension? I did all the clearing out stuff, and I got the extension to install, but now my entire Mac locks up — no mouse movement, no keyboard, etc — intermittently in Safari for about a minute before letting go. I'm by no means sure this is the 1PW extension causing this, but I thought I'd ask. Last night I disabled all other extensions, so we'll see. Also it seems to coincide with the regression.
    Just asking.

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

I don't .... all working as designed...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Gilles9: Glad to hear that it's working for you! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

I downloaded the Safari extension then double click to run, click on Trust nothing happens. Restarted Safari, it doesn't show, restart the Mac it doesn't show, try again, still doesn't show. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 1Password 7, three times now as well.

@jcsully217: That’s the issue discussed above. It isn't something with 1Password, but rather a known Safari bug. thibaut shared the workaround for this earlier.. Let me know if that helps. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

Anyone else having entire-system freezes in Safari since going back to the extension? I did all the clearing out stuff, and I got the extension to install, but now my entire Mac locks up — no mouse movement, no keyboard, etc — intermittently in Safari for about a minute before letting go. I'm by no means sure this is the 1PW extension causing this, but I thought I'd ask. Last night I disabled all other extensions, so we'll see. Also it seems to coincide with the regression. Just asking.

@robbyberman: That does sound very strange. It isn't possible for an extension to impact the system like that, as they're all sandboxed within the browser. But it's possible that Safari is hanging things up for some reason. Are you still experiencing this? If so, what is macOS telling you after you restart? There should be an error report.

This discussion has been closed.