[Feature request] Always have the random-password generator available, even if not authenticated

When I signup to a new website, I have to type in my master password to access the random-password-generator function. It would be very useful to have the random-password-generator function available outside of the authentication window (so that I can generate a random password without having to enter in my master password.) Since the random password generator does not require access to any of my other passwords, it doesn't appear that there would be any security concerns (that I know of.)

This would increase efficiency and allow me to generate passwords more quickly for new accounts.

1Password Version: 6.8.534
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

Greetings @equilaterial,

Whenever you use the Password Generator in 1Password it creates a Password item with the generated password and stores it in your vault. It's a safety net should you need to recover the password for any reason. Due to this safety net it does require 1Password be able to write to your vault. Assuming you intend to save a new Login item for the new account after registration you would need to have 1Password unlocked anyway. Given the importance of ensuring any used generated password is retrievable I cannot see us changing the existing behaviour. I hope the reason why makes sense :smile:

This discussion has been closed.