1Password Prompted for Update - Now I don't have a license?

derekkgilbert
derekkgilbert
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

1Password prompted me to update today and I went ahead and updated to the beta without realizing that 1Password 7 is a separate product with a separate license. Now my 1Pass stuff is all read-only and I can't use it without somehow downgrading back to 1Password 6. How can I downgrade back to 1Pass 6 and why does 1Pass 6 beta channel even offer the update to 1Pass 7 for people that don't have a license?

1Password Version: 6 and 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AndyChirch
    AndyChirch
    Community Member

I'm in the same boat. I've been a beta tester for a good while now, and was really disappointed how this feels like a forced purchase out of nowhere for me. Not that I'm unwilling to buy a great product, but I just accepted the new beta as usual, and now I'm feeling like my data is held for ransom.

• newswede
    newswede
    Community Member

Same here. The was no warning and now I'm locked in read-only mode. Please help!

• derekkgilbert
    derekkgilbert
    Community Member

Yeah... this is exactly what bothers me about this too. I have no issue upgrading to a new license but there was no warning or anything on the update itself. The notices are all over the beta forum and on the announcement post but nowhere on the actual beta update notice that the software throws up.

Luckily, this doesn't affect the other users in our organization using this since I'm the only one on the beta channel specifically to catch things like this. That being said, it totally feels like a forced purchase out of nowhere and that totally sucks. I cannot use 1Password until I figure out how to downgrade (which hasn't worked so far) or I purchase a license. On top of that, I don't feel comfortable purchasing a license yet but it feels like I have to because I'm at the mercy of a response from AgileBits support for the downgrade. If that's their intent, then that sucks even more. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, though, and hope that this was all just an unintentional misunderstanding and that it's a bug in the update mechanism rather than an intentional attempt to force an upgrade.

• Hi folks,

With the latest beta the intention was to offer the 1Password 7 beta to all 1Password 6 beta customers who have a 1Password membership. If you have a 1Password membership v7 doesn't require a separate license. If you're seeing this without being logged into a membership account... that isn't the intention.

To revert to 1Password 6 please quit 1Password completely (Ctrl+Opt+Cmd+Q) and then drag v7 to the trash. You can then download a fresh copy of v6 here:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/

Please confirm that you are not using any 1Password memberships yet were offered the upgrade from the v6 beta channel to the v7 beta.

Thank you.

Ben

• derekkgilbert
    derekkgilbert
    Community Member

I do not have a membership and I was offered the v7 beta. I work in government and, unfortunately, the monthly recurring fee isn't going to happen in our budget. The standalone licensing is the only way I have managed to work 1Password into our budgets.

As for the downgrade, I deleted the 1Password 7 app and downloaded v6 but the app just pinwheels for me when I open it. I will try it again downloading from your link and report back.

• Hi folks, I just wanted to reach out for a moment and apologize for the trouble. 1Password 6 has the ability to update to 1Password 7 automatically for those who have a 1Password membership. (1Password memberships include free updates to all major versions). Unfortunately when we rolled out the change to our update server it also handed out the update to everyone using a standalone license as well, putting you in read-only mode.

I am sorry this happened. We would never hold your data for ransom or pull a super shifty maneuver like this. For now we've rolled back the change to our update server and we're working to see what went sideways. In the mean time, as @Ben mentioned above, you can go back to 1Password 6 just by trashing the 1Password 7.app from your Applications folder and reinstalling 1Password 6 from our website.

• Henk_D
    Henk_D
    Community Member

Please help quick i cannot use my mac anymore, I get the popup to install the new beta. I have done that but the popup does not go away!

I use the mac for work with customers...quick action please. It is not possible to put de .7 app to trash

• Good morning Henk. I'm sorry for the trouble you're running into. Nothing should be preventing you from dragging 1Password 7.app to the Trash. Can you reboot your computer and try again?

• Henk_D
    Henk_D
    Community Member

Sorry that is not possible everytime the popup is there, even if i force stop the programm.

(Sorry english not so good) all programm are blocked by the popup!!

• Can you try Force Quitting any 1Password apps that are open? Click on the  menu and choose Force Quit…

• Henk_D
    Henk_D
    Community Member

I have done that but after quitting. The poput inmiddiately appears. And block everything

• Hi @Henk_D

Could you please post a screenshot of what is popping up?

https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

You can post the screenshot in a reply here using this button:

Ben

• Henk_D
    Henk_D
    Community Member

I have done that

• Henk_D
    Henk_D
    Community Member

I cannot stop the proces everytime i quite version 7 inmiddiately it popup again. So it blocks other programms

• @Henk_D We have not received your screenshot. Could you please either post it in a reply here, or email it to us at support+forum@agilebits.com? If you email it please post the support ID that you get back here.

Ben

• Henk_D
    Henk_D
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Sorry i can not make a screenshot because the popup blocks the use of my macbook!!!!!

It is the popup that tell that i need to download and install the new beta because the olde one is expired

[screenshot found and added here by AgileBits]

• Henk_D
    Henk_D
    Community Member

I have solved the problem!

I restart the macbook in the safe modes..than you can put 1password 7 in the trash.

• Thanks for the update @Henk_D. I'm sorry for the trouble caused, but glad to hear that you were able to resolve the problem. If this is a production machine that you're using to interact with clients you may want to consider sticking with non-beta software releases going forward, and keep the betas on a machine where some downtime is acceptable.

Ben

• paymonvafa
    paymonvafa
    Community Member

What about those who purchased the legacy version (I paid for the Mac version and the iOS version separately)

I am stuck on read only in v7.

Please advise.

• @paymonvafa,

1Password 7 isn't a free upgrade for 6.

Your options:
    1. buy a standalone license for 7
    2. subscribe to a 1password.com account
    3. switch back to version 6.

You can access the first two options by clicking on the read-only button.

• paymonvafa
    paymonvafa
    Community Member

@rudy
    Got it.

Thank you for you’re help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing! If it helps, you can find more details in the announcement detailing what's new:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

Cheers! :)

• TimTastic
    TimTastic
    Community Member

I purshased 1Password 6 but I can't install it from the Mac App Store. How do I get my license activated when I download version 6 from your website?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TimTastic: You'll only be able to download 1Password 6 from the Mac App Store if you originally purchased it there, and you're using that Apple ID. Then you'll have it in your purchase history:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201272#apps

Otherwise you'll need to install it from our website, as indicated in your license email.

This discussion has been closed.