1Password7 beta 12 dropbox sync issue

Options
remyleroy
remyleroy
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

when I launched 1Password7 beta 12 for the first time, it required to look at the sync preferences. I had to re-enter my choice of Dropbox, but 1Password7 wants to create a new synchronisation file on my Dropbox called 1Password.opvault.
I wonder whether it will create synchronisation issues if I use simultaneously 1Password 6 that uses 1password.agilekeychain in my Dropbox, either on my Macs, iPhone or iPad...

1Password Version: 7beta12
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1Password7 beta 12 dropbox sync issue

Comments

• jonathanmorgan
    jonathanmorgan
    Community Member
    Options

I am having issues with beta 12 and Dropbox, as well.

On the mac I am currently using, I have 4 vaults synced with Dropbox. 3 are opvault files, 1 is agilekeychain. I hadn't turned this computer on for 4 or 5 days, so the local vaults are all potentially out of date (of the 4, only 1 actually is - my main vault).

When I updated to beta 12, I got the message that I had preference conflicts, no indication of which, and was told to open preferences.

When I opened preferences, I guessed that it might be the sync, so went there. All vaults were no longer synced, regardless of file type. I backed up my main vault just in case, then connected the three that use opvault files back (I tried the agilekeychain one, too, but it wouldn't go - also good - no corruption of my spouse's vault!).

For each, it said it was merging the vaults. The two haven't changed since I last turned the computer on. No harm, no foul.

My main vault had changed. When it "merged", it favored the local copy over the more recently updated remote copy and overwrote 4 to 5 days worth of changes. Even at that, I didn't lose much - just some twitter login changes. But, still, not so good.

I have tried to turn off sync, then put the backup in place, but each time the stale local info overwrites the opvault info.

So.

1) Is there a way to ask 1Password to favor the Dropbox opvault file rather than the local information when starting to sync and merging into an existing Dropbox file?

2) Any suggestions of how to fix this? The vault in question is my primary vault, so it is the source of my one password. I guess I could just wipe the 7 install and start from scratch, using my 1Password account as master rather my actual primary vault, and then adding the Dropbox vaults on top of my 1Password account rather than having any of them be primary. Would that work? Then if it does something like this again, I can just drop the vault entirely and re-add it from the Dropbox file?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonathanmorgan, @remyleroy: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password 7 is sandboxed now, so you'll run into this issue if you have vaults in unsupported locations:

Only ~/Dropbox/1Password/ and ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/ are supported. That's the bad news.

However, the good news is that once you setup sync with those vaults again, you shouldn't run into further issues, as that will grant 1Password access to the locations you select.

@jonathanmorgan: But more to the point regarding your questions:

1. No. There is no way to "favor" one device's data over another. Dropbox doesn't work that way. But it should sort things out for you when you merge the data. If not, you'll have local backups.
    2. Yes. If you like, you can use the data on one device and sync it to the others after you reset 1Password on those devices. Also, be sure to backup your data, and then remove the vault(s) from Dropbox (maybe drag them to the Desktop

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes! :)

• remyleroy
    remyleroy
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Sorry but I'm not sure to understand the answer to my question?
    Should I accept that 1Password7 creates a ~/Dropbox/1password.opvault file in my Dropbox instead of reusing the existing ~/Dropbox/1password.agilekeychain?
    (I guess it's what you mean by 1Password can not sync with your selected keychain file)

But if so, what will be the consequences?
    Will I have issues using 1Password6 in parallel on my Macs or synchronisation discrepancies with my iPhone and iPad?

• jonathanmorgan
    jonathanmorgan
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi. I think I got it all sorted - your folder-to-nested-tags import functionality in the 7 beta is ready in the nick of time for me to just move all my stuff to 1Password account. In case it helps someone in the future, here is what I did:

• I completely uninstalled 7.
    • I restored my opvault and agilekeychain files from backup.
    • I reinstalled 6.
    • I let 6 sync against the opvault and agilekeychain files. This got everything caught up in the 6 database, including all the current changes in the agilekeychain vault.
    • I installed the latest 7. This once again cut off the Dropbox sync - so vaults were set aside in their latest state, unmerged.
    • I did the import to 1Password account on the database for the 6 installation (so "~/Library/Application Support/.../1Password.sqlite" or whatever the actual path and file name are, rather than the place where 7 stores its database - not sure if this mattered - probably could have used either since the new install of 7 copied from 6, if I understand right, and so was also up to date to start). This moved all the things from Primary into my private vault, then moved all the other vault stuff to shared vaults.
    • I made a shared vault in account for my stuff and moved everything from private to there (we share everything, so nothing in private vaults for now).
    • Before my wife woke up, I "Reset all 1Password data" in 1Password on all our macs, then just signed them into the 1Password Account and set each to default to the appropriate shared vault, so got all the same stuff, but from the account rather than Dropbox, and then on our ios devices, removed 1Password, reinstalled, and then did the same - logged into account rather than using Dropbox and set the vault it defaults to opening.
    • now everything seems to be working, I have current data in 1Password account, and it appears I didn't lose anything. We use the same master passwords from the Dropbox vaults as our 1Password.com logins, so it all should just work...

We'll see. All the folder information is captured in the tags, and it all looks OK to me. Did I miss anything obvious?

But, I think this did what I needed.

It might be good to give a little more detailed explanation on the Sync Preferences tab/page if the sync is cut off because of sandboxing, and maybe give recommended ways of proceeding. It would have helped me understand what was going on, at least.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry but I'm not sure to understand the answer to my question?
    Should I accept that 1Password7 creates a ~/Dropbox/1password.opvault file in my Dropbox instead of reusing the existing ~/Dropbox/1password.agilekeychain? (I guess it's what you mean by 1Password can not sync with your selected keychain file)

@remyleroy: Correct. AgileKeychain vaults will not work in 1Password 7. So the app will convert it to an OPVault so you can use that instead.

But if so, what will be the consequences? Will I have issues using 1Password6 in parallel on my Macs or synchronisation discrepancies with my iPhone and iPad?

Nope. All of those support OPVault. You'll just need to configure each of them to sync with the new vault, not the old AgileKeychain. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi. I think I got it all sorted - your folder-to-nested-tags import functionality in the 7 beta is ready in the nick of time for me to just move all my stuff to 1Password account.

@jonathanmorgan: Glad to hear you're enjoying nested tags! We're just getting started with that, so keep an eye out for more usability improvements. ;)

now everything seems to be working, I have current data in 1Password account, and it appears I didn't lose anything. We use the same master passwords from the Dropbox vaults as our 1Password.com logins, so it all should just work... We'll see. All the folder information is captured in the tags, and it all looks OK to me. Did I miss anything obvious? But, I think this did what I needed.

You covered everything it sounds like — and all while the family was asleep, so no downtime. Kudos! :)

It might be good to give a little more detailed explanation on the Sync Preferences tab/page if the sync is cut off because of sandboxing, and maybe give recommended ways of proceeding. It would have helped me understand what was going on, at least.

I agree. We'll see what we can do to improve the experience. Thanks for your feedback! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.