firefox 1PX and down arrow

Hello,
1PX conflicts with firefox autocompletion using the down arrow key
Since, sometimes 1PX recognises incorrectly a user/password field, or sometimes I use a password not saved, I've seen that disabilng the icon inside forms changes this behaviour, but consider if it could be useful to keep icon in form (accessible using mouse pointer) and leaving the key to firefox

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

1PX conflicts with firefox autocompletion using the down arrow key

@lcorsini: Thanks for getting in touch! I'm not sure we're going to design around browser autofill — it is always recommended to disable that for both security and usability reasons ("where is my stuff saved?"), but it's something we can look into. Can you clarify what the conflict is though?

Since, sometimes 1PX recognises incorrectly a user/password field, or sometimes I use a password not saved, I've seen that disabilng the icon inside forms changes this behaviour, but consider if it could be useful to keep icon in form (accessible using mouse pointer) and leaving the key to firefox

It sounds like the real issue may be that 1Password X is misidentifying the field. Is that the case? If so, that's definitely something we need to investigate. Can you tell me the URL?

We do want 1Password X to be accessible using the mouse cursor, as that allows people to use assistive devices — or just use the keyboard because they prefer it. But either way we want to improve whatever we can. :)

• Hi brenty,
    Let me explain better:
    Firefox caches the content of most form fields (and it's not related to the internal password manager) and this cache is accessible by pressing down arrow, the same (when internal password manager is disables) happens with username fied.
    For me, some password are better stored in my mind or I nedd to use a different user that is not stored in 1P, so mostly I autocomplete the username and insert the password by hand, and in this case 1px gets in the way trying to autocomplete the desired field

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member
    edited May 23

Hi brenty, Let me explain better:
    Firefox caches the content of most form fields (and it's not related to the internal password manager) and this cache is accessible by pressing down arrow, the same (when internal password manager is disables) happens with username fied.

@lcorsini: Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. But again, there are known exploits of browser "autofill" in the wild that can result in this information being collected by websites, so we do recommend disabling it.

For me, some password are better stored in my mind or I nedd to use a different user that is not stored in 1P, so mostly I autocomplete the username and insert the password by hand, and in this case 1px gets in the way trying to autocomplete the desired field

You may prefer it for some reason, but it's definitely not "better" for either usability or security. 1Password exists because we have too many passwords to remember, or not enough to keep us safe and secure online. 1Password solves this saving and filling passwords for us so that it is feasible to have a unique, randomly-generated one for each. Storing weak passwords in our brains and trying them ourselves is the thing that people got 1Password to escape from, so it's just not something we're going to design around.

• MitchMitch

AgileBits Team Member

Hey @lcorsini,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with Brent that you may have compatibility issues if you try to use the built-in auto fill at the same time as 1Password X. On the other hand, I’d like to add more control over keyboard shortcuts in a future release and the down arrow will be one of the ones on the list. :)

Mitch

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file