Beta 12 - Open and Fill crashes 1Password every time

ngocphamm
ngocphamm
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

As the title says, 1Password crashes every single time I click "Open and Fill" in a Login entry.

Same thing happens if I select the entry using 1Password Mini, and hit Enter on the link.

1Password Version: 7 beta 12
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ngocphamm: I'm sorry to hear that. Were you able to send a crash report? Did you have the same issue on any earlier betas?

• ngocphamm
    ngocphamm
    Community Member

Yes, every time it crashed, it had a dialog asking for sending the crash report. I did click "Send" several times.

And no, I did not observe this behavior in earlier betas.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ngocphamm: Awesome! Thank you! Did you submit the crash reports using the same email address you've used to sign up here on the forum? That could help us track them down. :)

• ngocphamm
    ngocphamm
    Community Member

I believe so. I might missed the personal info fields on one or two reports though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ngocphamm: That's no problem. I'd be lying if I said I'd never done that. We'll see if we can track down those reports to see what's going on there. :)

• @ngocphamm,

Do you happen to be using Choosy?

Rudy

• ngocphamm
    ngocphamm
    Community Member

Yes I do. Sounds like an issue with that, doesn't it?

• @ngocphamm

it definitely is an issue with that.

• ngocphamm
    ngocphamm
    Community Member

1Password 6 didn't have any issues, so I really hope this is gonna be fixed :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ngocphamm: 1Password 7 is sandboxed, so there are difficulties interacting with things that do not live in /Applications — browsers as well. We'll see if we can work around this issue though. Thanks for bringing it up! :)

• irrg
    irrg
    Community Member

So, it looks like this shipped without a fix for the Choosy crash?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@irrg: I can't tell if that's a question. :lol:

If it helps, what's happening is that 1Password cannot pass on its filling payload to anything but a its extension. We've made this change both to tighten security and to be compatible with Safari app extensions for Open an Fill, as we'll be using that going forward. But a number of us here use Choosy and similar apps to be able to open URLs in arbitrary web browsers, so we are looking into ways to have similar functionality in the future. In the mean time, you can always use the 1Password extension in the browser itself to Open and Fill, and we'll continue to work on a solution.

• irrg
    irrg
    Community Member

It was a bit of a snarky rhetorical one, sorry about that. I understand your situation and applaud the security approach. Just happened to me a lot yesterday as I was cleaning up my passwords and I forgot that clicking on a link would crash 1P… 😜

At this point I'd be happiest if clicking the link didn't do anything if Choosy is my default browser. At least I wouldn't have to start over…

• @irrg,

The release version that was released yesterday should actually have the behavior you describe, in that it would do nothing. The beta release specifically has an assert so its crashing on purpose.

Rudy

• irrg
    irrg
    Community Member

@rudy Strange. I got a notification that there was a new version, but when I went to update there wasn't anything available. I'm on 1Password 7
    Version 7.0 (70000019)
    AgileBits Store

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@irrg: That is a bit odd, that you got a notification but no update. We did a bit of a staged rollout, but you shouldn't have gotten a notification if you weren't getting the actual update yet. Can you check again for me? Worst case scenario, you can grab the latest stable release here:

https://1password.com/downloads/

And if you stay opted into betas, you should get the next once one is available. Let me know if that helps. :)

• irrg
    irrg
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@brenty sorry for the delayed response, just got back from a trip. Updated to 7.0.1 is still crashing for me. https://gist.github.com/irrg/d6aca386ef466b7f609e40aa042ebc98 is my crashlog.

• northernv
    northernv
    Community Member

Can confirm. Choosy causes 1password 7 to crash. I tried setting a rule in Choosy to automatically open up the default browser, but it still crashes. Oh well. I don't use that often enough to care.

• irrg
    irrg
    Community Member

Still crashing in 7.0.3

• irrg
    irrg
    Community Member

@brenty Still crashing in 7.0.4. I'll stop posting these until you need the issue verified as resolved.

• @northernv @irrg To get a better idea of what the issue is, please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email, and send it to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a confirmation number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• irrg
    irrg
    Community Member

@Jacob I went too fast and sent it to support@ without the google apps +forum filter. My bad. BBC-33245-984 is my confirmation.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@irrg: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you! :)

ref: BBC-33245-984

This discussion has been closed.