Comments

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

The new mini window is far much to large
    not necessary for me

include an option to have reduce size or large to let us decide which one is proper for our us

• Kobes
    Kobes
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

A radical move, this new "mini" view. I must say, I was shocked as well. But also seriously want to give it a shot. I have already seen a couple of improved uses here and going back will make that harder.
    One of the things I found is that it is a lot easier to find 'duplicate'-like items, because the suggestions are more prominent, including passwords. It is about time I clean that up, and the new 'mini' view makes it much more visible. If there only were a way to immediately ditch something from the mini view into the trash. So, that is my request:

• Allow me to trash items straight from mini.

Others will probably hate me, because now it gets even closer to 'full 1P', but it would allow me to clean up in a very agile way (that should resonate with Agilebits, not? ;) )

-1 on customisation options; please don't make 1P a config [removed] like many corporate apps. I pay 1P to think about the UX for me, don't put the burden on making this app work on me.

For those who are missing the proximity of the window to their previous click, please use the cmd(+alt)+/ shortcut more often. The keyboard is a much faster way to get your stuff done.

By the way, I am not saying that everything is perfect on this 'mini' update, but in general I like the direction taken.

• rudy
    Options

@kobes,

There is a way to delete items straight from mini, but its not as straightforward as it once was. If you navigate such that you can see the item details and edit the item there's a move item to trash button at the very bottom.

We're definitely listening to the feedback and looking to improve upon the current design.

Rudy

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I am on the fence with the new mini, I don't prefer that large of a size, but I am getting older so yeah it is somewhat useful. It just really gives me the spotlight feel. I am use to the go your own way and break ground approach you all usually take.

Ill live with it, but just feels so spotlighty. My 2¢. But on the other hand you usually have a very good pulse on deeper integration with Apple. So Ill allow you this excursion into a different time, a different place. Oh wait that sounds like twilight zone, sorry for my references today, just being nostalgic.

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @thightower ,

Thanks for the feedback. I just want to make sure, though I'm sure you know, that if you find any specific pain points in your workflow, you are welcome to bring them up. This new mini is still in its infancy and there are still changes we can make to improve it.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• ryan_short
    ryan_short
    Community Member
    Options

The main annoyance I'm having with the new one on Mac is that if the 1Password app is open and hidden when I click on the mini icon in either Firefox or the menu bar it not only pops up the mini window but also unhides the main 1Password application and brings it to be at the front just behind the mini window. So if I click the button I then have to rehide the 1Password window.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ryan_short

That’s a bug. Hopefully we can get that fixed up shortly. If that’s the worst of it then I think we’re in really good shape. 😁

Ben

ref: apple-1157

• Ben
    Options

I merged a couple of threads here, so apologies for any disjointedness that now appears in conversations.

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Narius - are you using a browser-selector such as Choosy or Browser Fairy?

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member
    Options

The new "1P midi" (it's no longer 'mini') was a shock, but I guess there's no way AB will return to the old faithful mini, so I'll embrace the new while trying to configure it to be as minimal as possible.

My view of 1P mini is that it should be a convenient front end to access information as quickly and efficiently as possible ie. frequent search and fill. Any other reviewing or editing of the information can easily be accomplished with 1P maxi.

Anyway, for your consideration...

• Ability to further reduce the width of 1P midi in order to reduce the large amount of unused space in the second column. Happy to lose the pointless (to me) space allocated for the display of the icon (is it a wand?) and the words "Open & Fill".

• I like previous suggestions of exploring the possibilities of a single column design. That is ye olde 1P mini without the flyout boxes.

Watchtower banner:

• Ability to switch it off within 1P midi or maybe collapse the banner down to a small subtle indicator bar once acknowledged.

This is an awesome feature for 1P maxi, but it's unnecessary in 1P midi.
    For example: I know some websites don't use encrypted connections, it's great to get a warning ONCE, but it's not something I have any direct control over if there's no alternative, so I don't appreciate a big yellow blob continually obstructing the information, such as for my router settings login.

The big warning blob doesn't scroll out of the way.

• Ability to reorder my Favourites, as was possible up until this change.

Minor tweaks which are more 'fit & finish'...

• Reduce the size of icon & the title font - I'd be happy to lose the icon completely
    • Align Password Generator panels

Many thanks.

• nils_enevoldsen
    nils_enevoldsen
    Community Member
    Options

Earlier I mentioned that the two-column layout was what caused midi (I like it!) to feel "heavier" than mini. I think I slowly realized a second psychological factor that threw me off: midi doesn't feel like part of the browser chrome. Invoking midi is a lot like invoking Spotlight: opening it from the browser button feels like switching contexts, whereas I expect a tool that fits within the context of the webpage I'm using. I don't know what this would look like without significant UI changes (e.g. graphically connecting the midi window to the browser button) or feasibility concerns (e.g. opening a midi "sidebar" in the browser).

Granted, midi has more than one use. We're not always invoking it in order to do some operation on the current webpage. In fact, I think the new UI is great when I'm opening it from the menubar (like Spotlight). And in general I think the Spotlight-esque UI feels breezy and modern.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TonyHall - thanks for the thoughtful analysis and the screenshots!

Align Password Generator panels.

Yep, you're absolutely right, there looks to be a one or two pixel misalignment; not sure why. I've filed that as issue 1287; we'll get that taken care of. Thanks for reporting! :)

Ability to switch [Watchtower banner] off within 1P midi or maybe collapse the banner down to a small subtle indicator bar once acknowledged.

A lot of people use the mini exclusively or nearly so, and we want to make sure they're as aware of potential vulnerabilities from among their passwords/logins as possible. I'll pass along your comments, but off the cuff, my opinion is that in this - as in much of 1Password - the bar is set pretty high for inclusion/creation of yet another toggle or preference, because having too many not only clutters the interface but also puts too much of the onus for security on the user and presents an opportunity for people to forget they've switched something on (or off) and then wonder why something isn't working as advertised (or expected). You sound like you wouldn't be one such user, but a lot of people don't spend the time digging into the intricacies and preferences of their software in the way you clearly do.

I'd be happy to lose the icon completely.

We can certainly look into reducing the title font, but here again, we have users on the less-sighted end of the spectrum who are actually asking for us to increase font sizes in various areas, so it's a matter of balancing users' different needs/preferences against one another. With regard to the icon specifically, if you have only a Primary vault (which seems the case based on your screenshots), then this might not be obvious to you, but if you have multiple vaults, the icon is actually the vault menu for the mini. There will be a small down-arrow which, when clicked, will give you the option to search among any particular vault or the All Vaults view:

ref: apple-1287

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars with all due respect, "over preferencing" is only an issue if the defaults are something most users need to change. Most users don't even go into the preferences. Visible toggles: Yes. Preferences: No.

The more accurate reason is that additional preferences cause additional development work.

Allowing the banners to be collapsable by default so that you don't get noise when you don't want it, or a jarring transition when going from one non-bannered app to another bannered one is a perfectly reasonable request.

This is made more acceptable by the fact that the banners are not always actionable:

• On many logins an HTTPS URL is not available
    • On many logins (especially in shared vaults), setting up 2FA is not a single person's choice
    • On some logins (such as for logins storing PINs) the password is always going to be "weak"

So you're showing noise to the user that they can't do anything about. This is not great UI design.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian and say my first impression of the new 1Password Mini is very positive. I haven't used it enough to provide detailed feedback, but here my first preliminary impressions:

1. I really like that it's larger and that all the categories are visible without expanding them. Needing to hover to expand all the time in the previous 1PW slowed me down.
    2. I like that there's a more detailed description of what will happen when clicking on a login (i.e. Fill or Open and Fill). I don't yet have my parents on my 1PW family account, but it's probably inevitable. They are exactly the kind of user who will benefit from this kind of explicit and clear labeling.
    3. Related to #2, is it me or is the font just a tad smaller? I know there's a trade-off between font size, padding, and the overall size of the UI, but my aging parents would definitely appreciate a larger font. (I probably would, too, although I can manage).

That's all for now. Keep up the good work!

Cheers.

• dem
    dem
    Community Member
    Options

I just now needed to fill out a form with identity and credit card information and it's much better in the new mini. It's right there and no more fighting with flyouts.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfelchner

The more accurate reason is that additional preferences cause additional development work.

With an equal amount of due respect, I have to take exception to this, primarily because it's simply not true. Well, I mean, of course it IS obviously true that making changes causes additional work, but what's never been true for 1Password is that additional work means we're less likely to make any given change. If we'd wanted to keep our energy/work expended, we'd have stuck with the old mini -- you can already see several people in this forum alone who've grown accustomed to it suggesting we should've done that very thing: nothing. Can't get much lower-impact in terms of development work than doing nothing at all.

I also mentioned my answer was "off the cuff," which it was - those were my initial thoughts on that particular feature request. It may well be that we'll rethink our approach to this based on user experience and wishes as well as our own observations over time. Either way, we appreciate both your observations and Tony's. Thanks for being part of the beta program for 1Password 7 for Mac!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @dem and @EnerJi!

Ben

• zzzamboni
    zzzamboni
    Community Member
    Options

Looking at this thread, I must be the only one who was pleasantly surprised by the new Mini window! I think it looks great and I love the "suggested items" section :)

I noticed that "Suggested items" recognizes some non-browser applications like Spotify and Evernote, and suggests the appropriate items when Mini is opened over them. I think this is an awesome feature. Is it possible to configure it? It would be nice to, for example, include my chat accounts when I invoke Mini from within Adium.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EnerJi - thanks for the feedback! :) We're pretty excited about the new mini as well. And yes, there are likely to be some bug fixes and little tweaks to the UI as time goes on (including things like potentially adjusting font sizes, etc). Our user-base has changed over time, from the initial tech-savvy bunch that jumped aboard early back in 2006, 7, 8. These days, more and more "normals" are finding their way to our door (I use that term with love, having been one of those early adopters back in 2007 and having a mother and brother who just want stuff to work). And we at AgileBits want 1Password to be something everyone can use to increase their security, not just the command line-warriors or tech cognoscenti. Let us know what happens when you DO get your parents on board with 1Password Families!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dem - Excellent! Glad to hear things are smooth and improved for your workflow with the new mini. Let us know if you have any questions or hit any problems! :)

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for saying so, @ZZamboni! I don’t believe those are currently user-customizable but I’ll certainly pass the feedback along to development that this feature is appreciated and could be expanded.

Ben

• Narius
    Narius
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Sorry, should have outlined it all. Safari mainly, Chrome 2nd. OS 10.12.6
    MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch, Mid 2014
    2.8 Intel Core i7
    16GB 1600 mhz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

How do we turn off the new yellow 2 factor authentication warning? It's showing on logins where I do have 2-factor enabled through Duo and there appears to be no way to get rid of it, and it even keeps covering the login details if you scroll down. Do we just have to turn off Watchtower completely?

EDIT: Okay, I see there is an option to turn off the 2FA warning separately.

Beyond that, I like the direction of the new design, mostly that the credit cards and identities are always visible and you don't have to click to see more than 5 items. I would appreciate greater contrast than what's currently present with the thin black font on a dark-ish gray background (especially with the light gray font of the url) when using the light theme. Same with the dark theme actually, be nice if the font was thicker/bolder.

Oh and I also like that the transparency is gone!

• Kobes
    Kobes
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy thanks for the pointer to the feature. I was not aware. Unfortunately, though, for me it does not work. When I click the move item to trash button, nothing happens.
    I guess that is a bug, so hopefully that will also come across in this passionate thread about the new 'mini'. :)

+1 on the suggestion by @TonyHall for making the watchtower banner collapsible. If we can do that on an item-per-item basis from within 'mini', then it does not need another 'setting' of sorts (as @Lars's comment seems to suggest), which would lead to a terrible trade off (never see important warnings because you want to hide some).

• rwakeford
    rwakeford
    Community Member
    Options

Just had a little play with the new Mini and I love it! Line spacing is far more compact and the size of the box just accommodates all the categories without any scrolling. I'll be using this far more than the main 1Password I think! Open and fill is far more easy to select and viewing the site information seems easier to read too, although I think that's maybe my imagination. Anyway, one thumbs up from me.

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thanks for replying.

We can certainly look into reducing the title font, but here again, we have users on the less-sighted end of the spectrum who are actually asking for us to increase font sizes in various areas, so it's a matter of balancing users' different needs/preferences against one another. With regard to the icon specifically...

I don't think I made it clear as to which icon I was referencing...apologies. The icon and title I was referring to are the ones within the details section (the generic icon labelled 'Hu').

I had a quick play (I'm not a designer, so may be demonstrating my ignorance) but by reducing the icon size and tweaking the positioning of the various elements you can display a little more useful information.

In the demo below the font size, and size of all the other elements, remains unchanged.

I've also reduced the Watchtower banner to a status bar (it irritates me that this large and distracting warning will permanently persist, unscrollable, even tho' it's beyond my control to fix :) ).

Many thanks.

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

As an addition to the persistent Watchtower 'Unsecured Website' warning...

There's already a preference setting to turn off 2FA warnings (which can also alternatively be hidden by tagging items as "2FA"); so two ways to avoid undesired 2FA warnings, but no way to exclude these unsecured websites banners.

To be clear, I'm grateful that these warnings exist in the main app, I just feel they are overkill in 1P midi.

Warn me once but allow me to make the decision to not be bothered by the persistent banners. I can always review the status of the numerous unsecured websites through the excellent Watchtower in the main app.

Many thanks.

• JBB
    JBB
    Community Member
    Options

For me, ⌘\ opens 1P Mini in any app, not just the browser, but that's supposed to be what ⌘⌥\ is for…

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member
    Options

For me, ⌘\ opens 1P Mini in any app, not just the browser, but that's supposed to be what ⌘⌥\ is for…

+1
    Same here.

• mlebarron
    mlebarron
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going to give it some time to adjust personally, but one thing I already don't like is it being untethered. Previously I knew that if I clicked in it in the browser, the menu would be right there, if I did it from the menu bar, boom there's the menu right there.

Now it's just in one place. On a 4k display with my browser on the left, it's either going to be way over to the right if I leave it by the menu, or over to the left if I leave it there (but won't adjust position when I change the browser size).

My guess is it's designed to sit in the middle of the screen?

This discussion has been closed.