Folks, my devices are not syncing. I was using iCloud but changed to Dropbox. Help.

Options
kias350
kias350
Community Member

I have two Macs - one desktop and one laptop and one iPhone. I use 1Password daily. I have been a loyal user for five years or so. When the three devices were not syncing data, I was reading the chat threads in your help section and it seemed that Dropbox might be more reliable than iCloud. So I switched from iCloud to Dropbox, yesterday. Now it seems my Dropbox has two, not one vaults. I tried to merge them but am unable to do so. One sits in a folder entitled 1Password and the other just in the regular Dropbox files. I think I am more comfortable keeping the vault in iCloud but will do whatever it takes to make the system sync. HELP!!!! Thank you!

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Now Dropbox Before iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:sync

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @kias350! Sorry for the syncing difficulties. I wouldn't necessarily describe Dropbox as more reliable than iCloud; each is a 3rd party sync solution that comes with its caveats and peculiarities. With iCloud, you need to make sure you're signed using the same Apple ID everywhere (and that there are no issues with iCloud in general on any of your devices). With Dropbox, all of your devices that share 1Password data need to be pointing at the same sync file(s), whether OPVault or Agile Keychain.

All of the above are actually one of the main reasons we developed 1password.com memberships. There are many advantages to a 1Password membership, but one of the big ones is that we wrote our own, specialized sync engine that doesn't have to worry about syncing your Excel spreadsheets or videos of your cat; it focuses on and is optimized for your 1Password data. And all you do (once you've subscribed) is sign into your account within 1Password on any device you use, and your data is synced automagically.

That's not going to solve your existing issue, but it's something to think about for the future. Especially if you have family members who also use 1Password -- or whom you'd like to have start using it. In the meantime, a couple of questions: are the two vaults you notice identical to one another? Or did your data somehow get split between the two? And why do you think you need to merge them? To help you answer these quetsions, the first thing to do is review the steps here. Let us know if that helps.

This discussion has been closed.