Safari extension is a window

TomWolsky
TomWolsky
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

In this build and the previous build of 1P the Safari extension is opening a window. Previously a menu dropped down from the extension, with the website content or a search box, now a window opens that is centered on the screen, usually covering the log in boxes or other essential information. Hopefully this isn't by design. Can we have the old way back please?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7b18
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @TomWolsky,

What you see before you is the new mini, it is mean to be centered and treated similar to spotlight.

Rudy

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Never have been a fan of Spotlight. It's not much brighter than Siri, which isn't saying much.

Spotlight is designed to search for something, on your computer, on the internet. It's an exploration. You don't know what's going to appear. With the extension, in almost all cases, you know exactly what you want. You know exactly what's going to appear. You want it to come up and load into the required places. This isn't an exploration.

The problem for me now is that the window completely obscures everything in the website, especially the most important information usually in the center of the page. Two problems, one, if it works, fine, if not, you now have to hunt, which means the window is covering the website response to the initial failure. Second problem, more and more sites are using multiple page logins, so you have to make sure you're getting the items loaded into the right boxes before you execute. That's a bit more difficult with the 1P window covering the interface.

Just my view. Thanks.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

The problem for me now is that the window completely obscures everything in the website, especially the most important information usually in the center of the page.

I appreciate this doesn't address your other concerns but in respect of that one you can drag the window to anywhere you like and next time you open it that position will be remembered.

Edit: corrected typo.

Stephen

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Thanks for that Stephen. Good to know.

Tried it. Doesn't work for me. Can't find anywhere to grab and drag. Can resize but not reposition.

Wait found it. About an ⅛ inch strip around the search box. That's going to be hard to find for users.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky: Yep. Not ideal. I have an issue filed for this. We'll see what we can do to make it easier — though at the same time we're trying to make the window smaller due to feedback. :lol:

ref: apple-1063

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thank you brenty.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for your help. :chuffed:

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Can't find anywhere to grab and drag. Can resize but not reposition.

It’s easier to grab and drag the new 1Password mini window to where you want it to be when 1Password is locked. That’s how I’ve been doing it. :chuffed:

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thanks sjk. I’ll have to look at that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• NomadUK
    NomadUK
    Community Member

Just have to add that I totally agree with TomWolsky's thoughts and find the new Mini window highly problematic from a UI perspective, compared to its previous incarnation. For what that's worth, which probably isn't much.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for weighing in. It's appreciated, otherwise we wouldn't know that some folks feel that way. We'll take it into account along with all of the feedback we receive as we continue to iterate on the new design. :)

This discussion has been closed.