Can I use a local vault on a family account?

user12345
user12345
Community Member

Hi!

I'm thinking about getting a family subscription but I'd like to know if it's possible to also create a local vault for my personal passwords in addition to a cloud one for sharing passwords?

Or if sharing is not important, can I use a local vault on a family subscription if I don't want to sync to the cloud?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm thinking about getting a family subscription but I'd like to know if it's possible to also create a local vault for my personal passwords in addition to a cloud one for sharing passwords?

@user12345: That is possible, but it sounds like you're under the impression that this is the only way to have private information when using 1Password Families. That's not the case. Eac family member has their own account and login credentials, along with a Private vault which only they can ever access. This is completely separate from the default family Shared vault and any others that are created.

Or if sharing is not important, can I use a local vault on a family subscription if I don't want to sync to the cloud?

You can, but I have to ask, why? Apart from not being able to use the sharing features, not using 1Password.com to store your encrypted data means you'd have to sync it between devices yourself, and you wouldn't be able to use the web interface and many other features as well. Let me know what you're trying to do and I'll see what I can recommend. :)

• user12345
    user12345
    Community Member

I know that other family members will not have access to my data, but I'm just really uncomfortable about storing my password data in a cloud filled with lots of password data (such a big target would presumably be very interesting to hackers).

While I know that you are doing a great job about protecting this data (I have read the white paper on your security design), I also know that sometimes security critical bugs are discovered that could potentially compromise data no matter how well it's protected. And if someone manages to gain access to my encypted data now, they could maybe decrypt it a year later as new ways are discovered. Any accounts for which the password has not changed since then could be at risk. It's a slim and very theoretical issue, but it's a concern.

As of right now I manage my 1Password data myself, and I'm fine with it, although other family members probably want to use the cloud, and the pricing for a family subscription is beneficial.

Just to clarify, can I still share passwords with other family members in a separate vault in addition to having my own local vault? Would this require me to manually switch between vaults (maybe even relaunch the client, or could I have access to multiple vaults simultaneously?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I know that other family members will not have access to my data, but I'm just really uncomfortable about storing my password data in a cloud filled with lots of password data (such a big target would presumably be very interesting to hackers).

@user12345: Indeed, I wouldn't be comfortable with that either! Fortunately 1Password.com never stores anyone's actual passwords. The only thing it receives is an encrypted blob, and only you ever have the keys needed to decrypt it. And the same goes for each family member: everyone has their own 128-bit, randomly-generated Secret Key, chooses their own Master Password, and neither of these are ever transmitted.

While I know that you are doing a great job about protecting this data (I have read the white paper on your security design), I also know that sometimes security critical bugs are discovered that could potentially compromise data no matter how well it's protected. And if someone manages to gain access to my encypted data now, they could maybe decrypt it a year later as new ways are discovered. Any accounts for which the password has not changed since then could be at risk. It's a slim and very theoretical issue, but it's a concern.

Definitely, and that's why we simply never have the keys to anyone's data in the first place. Even if we have the best intentions, having them means that someone could potentially coerce or steal them from us. We just don't want to be in that position. So, quite literally, in order to get into your data, an attacker would have to stealth encrypted database and also your Master Password and Secret Key from you. It just isn't possible to decrypt the data without both, and at least one of those is effectively unguessable — and if you use a long, strong, unique Master Password, that makes two!

As of right now I manage my 1Password data myself, and I'm fine with it, although other family members probably want to use the cloud, and the pricing for a family subscription is beneficial.

I think you'll also find that it's really nice to be able to setup a device by signing in, and to be able to share a vault with your loved ones without them having to do anything: it just shows up for them when they sign in. :chuffed:

Just to clarify, can I still share passwords with other family members in a separate vault in addition to having my own local vault? Would this require me to manually switch between vaults (maybe even relaunch the client, or could I have access to multiple vaults simultaneously?

Nope! You can access both local vaults and 1Password.com account vaults simultaneously in the app — no restart required. :)

• user12345
    user12345
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Yes, but that encrypted blob contains all login items including passwords. I am perfectly aware that you don't store the keys to decrypt this blob (again, I did read the white paper). Even knowing that, I'm not comfortable in storing my passwords in anyones cloud at this moment (not even a cloud managed by the best, which you are definitely one of).

I'm happy though that I can use local and 1Password.com vaults simultaneously, and I have now started a trial. If everything works out I'll stay with the family subscription.

Thank you for you assistance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good! Happy to help, and we're here if you have any other questions. Enjoy the trial, and your weekend! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.