1password 6.9.2 not syncing and forcing update to 1password 7.x

xlopez
xlopez
Community Member

I have just migrated from a stand-alone iCloud sync license to 1password.com subscription trial, but once adding all my data to the web, when I open my 1password on IOS 10.2, it tries to sync, then I get a modal message saying:

1password Update Required
1password is out of date and needs to be updated to continue working with your account ..

Ideally, I do not want to update my iphone to ios11. I have read some things on this forum mentioning that 6.9 is not completely compatible with ios10? Is this true? Is it possible to sync with 1password.com while keeping ios10?

Thank you

1Password Version: 6.9.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.2
Sync Type: 1password.com
Referrer: forum-search:1password 6.9 required updated

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@xlopez: Can you please clarify? I'm not familiar with a 1Password version "6.9.2". What kind of a device are you using? You may be having trouble updating because you'e not only not running iOS 11, but you're way behind on iOS 10 updates. iOS 10.3.3, the last release, have been available for nearly a year. We can't recommend using an outdated OS no matter what, as you'll be missing important security fixes with each version you've skipped, but you should be able to use 1Password on iOS 10.3.3 for a bit longer. When we make changes to the service that obsolete versions don't know about in the future though, it will no longer work. Let me know what you've got.

• xlopez
    xlopez
    Community Member

Hey @brenty, thanks for your response.

Sorry, my iOS 1password version is 6.9.1. I would like to update to iOS 10.3.3, but seeing as iOS 11 is out, it only gives me the option for 11.x, right?

While I respect it's ideal to use the latest software, it's not always accessible for people to have the hardware that can support (or run well with) the latest software. For example, my girlfriend uses an iPhone 5, I would like her to still be able to use a 1password family account in the near future (given this trial goes well). If she updates to iOS 11, her iPhones performance will be sluggish (if iOS 11 even supports iPhone 5 I am not sure).

1password syncing should be backwards compatible? By not supporting ios versions < 2 years old you're essentially saying only people who can afford to buy new iPhones every 2-4 years can use our software.

Should i cancel my subscription and go back to a primary iCloud synced account?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

Sorry, my iOS 1password version is 6.9.1. I would like to update to iOS 10.3.3, but seeing as iOS 11 is out, it only gives me the option for 11.x, right?

@xlopez: I'm not sure I understand. 1Password for iOS version 6.9.1 is the newest version compatible with iOS 10, and will also work with 1Password.com for the time being. I've got it on a test device myself.

While I respect it's ideal to use the latest software, it's not always accessible for people to have the hardware that can support (or run well with) the latest software.

Understood. But at the same time we're just not going to hold back the security of all 1Password.com members because some people are unable or unwilling to update. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but we can't offer a security product and then be lax about security. That's literally what our customers are paying us for. :(

For example, my girlfriend uses an iPhone 5, I would like her to still be able to use a 1password family account in the near future (given this trial goes well). If she updates to iOS 11, her iPhones performance will be sluggish (if iOS 11 even supports iPhone 5 I am not sure).

I think iOS 11 may require an iPhone 5S or newer, due to the 64-bit requirement, since that was the first 64-bit device, if memory serves.

1password syncing should be backwards compatible? By not supporting ios versions < 2 years old you're essentially saying only people who can afford to buy new iPhones every 2-4 years can use our software.

That's not correct. This isn't even about sync. When we make changes on the server to improve security, changes are needed in the clients too. If you're not updating, you won't be able to benefit from those changes. The outdated app will not be able to communicate with the server. And this isn't really about 1Password either. An iPhone 5 is much older than 4 years (2012), and an outdated device that cannot update is missing critical security fixes for known vulnerabilities and isn't secure to use on the internet period; trying to use security software like 1Password on it at that point unfortunately won't solve that. :(

Should i cancel my subscription and go back to a primary iCloud synced account?

You could do that, but I don't see how it solves anything. It sounds like the only problem you're having is that you're being notified that you should update. I think that's a reasonable thing for 1Password to do. After all, if you couldn't use the app at all, you would not be able to receive the notice. It still works. Certainly it won't indefinitely, but the same goes if you're using a local vault and iCloud.

This discussion has been closed.