1Password 7 for Windows Release Candidate is here and yep, it is totally lit.

2»

Comments

• Hi @BrokenHope,

Thanks for writing in and no, not yet. Markdown rendering is on our list for the future, including Watchtower 2.0 that 1Password 7 for macOS just got.

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

Hi @brenty , following on from our earlier discussions I've been trialing the subscription version.

I'm liking it from my initial testing, but now I want to try and set it up for real, and from what I understand from the security white paper my existing password will always be able to unlock my vault, even after I change the password and the secret key. That's far from ideal given I used a comparatively sloppy password for my testing (sloppy versus my real one anyway). As I understand it I could initiate an account recovery and this will properly reset all my encryption keys, but I don't have any other members invited yet so I can't actually do a recovery.

What's my best option?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018

@wraith: That's correct. I guess I hadn't ever thought of using a bad Master Password for testing! I'd recommend setting up a new account — with a serious Master Password — and copying your data over to it.

P.S: Thank you for reading the white paper! That would have been very difficult to explain from scratch. :lol:

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member

@brenty That makes sense, just to clarify I assume if I do that I'll lose the 30 day trial (which I can live with) but what happens to the "Family name"?

In terms of design, I understand why the master password is separate to the technical encryption (as in it's the key for another key) but I must admit I can't understand any situation where you'd want old keys to be able to decrypt. Given this I can't see why it's possible to change the master password at all, and certainly suspect many people won't understand that aspect.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wraith: Well, it's more complex than that, and not really a risk in normal usage. After all, both the Master Password and Secret Key are used to encrypt the data. But it can definitely be confusing. Windows is a special case because its internal database is currently not governed by the server, so we cannot have the Master Password changed there yet and updated on the account. We're working on that. But if you change your Master Password and/or Secret Key on the server and setup the app from scratch afterward, you mitigate the risk of someone having an easier time of things by grabbing the local database with the old "keys". The only reason I'd recommend a new account in this case (or recovery if that were possible) is because you were (presumably) using a very weak password when you originally setup the account for testing purposes. Better safe than sorry, as they say. Regarding the name, the best thing to do would be to reach out via email at sales@1password.com and they'll help you get everything moved over. :)

• MarcoZ
    MarcoZ
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT!

Sorry that I am just now replying to the ping as 1Password 7 was just released.

The accessibility improvements are truly awesome! It is a joy to use with both NVDA and Narrator on Windows 10.

I did find some unlabeled buttons here and there, though, which I'd like you to know about. They are easy fixes, so hopefully can make it into an update quickly.

• The Switch Vaults button has a description (additional information), but no label. The label would be spoken before the word "Button" with NVDA and Narrator. Right now, the text "Switch Vaults" (without the shortcut) should be the label I think.
    • If you have Windows Hello, and 1Password asks you to unlock, the two buttons have funny labels. The Hello button has none, only the description /tooltip. And the other button, that is for entering the password, has a label of "H".
    • When tabbing to the vertical tabstrip in Mini, the announcement could be improved a little. The tabs themselves are labeled, but the fact that this is the tab list isn't obvious from what both NVDA and Narrator speak.

I think those are the only items I found so far. The other stuff works really nicely!

Thanks,
    Marco

• Hi @MarcoZ!

Thank you for the great feedback, you've always been a tremendous help in our effort to improve accessibility in 1Password for Windows. I will look into what you have found so far and get an update out soon. If you find anything else, please, let us know so we can get it corrected. On behalf of @MikeT and the rest of the team, thanks again for all of your help!

• Hi @MarcoZ,

Just a heads-up, we've released 7.1 beta 1 with fixes for the bugs you've reported. Let us know if it is working the way you expect it to.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.