Dropbox sync with 1password 7 for Mac

Megatron1
Megatron1
Community Member

Hello,

I have just installed 1Password 7 for Mac and it looks beautiful.

I do have a lot of vaults that I share with other stand alone 1Password users through Dropbox. All those synchronisations have now been disconnected.

My question is whether or not I will make incompatible changes to those vaults now that I am on 1Password 7 and the other users are on older versions on different platforms.

Is there any risk that I may damage the contents or break compatibility by being on the newest version and synchronising through Dropbox?

Kind regards,
C Malcolm

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Dropbox sync with 1password 7 for Mac

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Megatron1! The only reason sync should be disabled from upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac would be if any of your vaults were in the Agile Keychain format. 1Password 7 no longer syncs the Agile Keychain format. If you had any vaults in the Agile Keychain format, then when you installed 1Password 7, you should have been notified. 1Password should have imported your Agile Keychains and offered to sync your data using the newer OPVault format.

If that didn't happen or you bypassed the sync opportunity at install time, you can re-establish this sync now by visiting Preferences > Sync and re-enabling Dropbox sync. 1Password 7 will write out a new OPVault keychain into the same shared Dropbox folders (check to be sure it's the same folder), after which you'll need to have all your colleagues switch over from the Agile Keychain to the OPVault, on every device they use.

• Megatron1
    Megatron1
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your reply. About half of my 20 Dropbox synced vaults are on OPVault and the other half are on the old .agilekeychain type. Still, all my Dropbox syncs were automatically disabled during the upgrade for some reason.

However, my question is more to make sure that I will not cause backward compatibility issues with users that are still using 1Password 6. As I re-sync with these OPVault vaults and start using 1Password 7 features - will that do any damage to those cards in older versions?

Many thanks,
    Megatron1

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Megatron1 - no, no difference. The OPVault format doesn't change from version to version of client apps. You should be fine -- but make sure you and everyone else you share with disables Dropbox sync with the Agile Keychains and re-enables it with the OPVaults.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@Megatron1 are we going to have issues? :lol:

Nice name. Sorry, nothing to do with the post, just a fellow Transformers fan too ;)

• Megatron1
    Megatron1
    Community Member

Lol, thanks Prime.

Thanks Lars. Good to know we can all continue using the versions we have, although I will upgrade those .agilekeychain vaults.

Cheers,
    Megatron1

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Let us know if we can be of any further assistance :smile:

• sebaz
    sebaz
    Community Member

It is possible to export vaults from 1password 7? I want to go back to 1password 6 and I can't sync with dropbox.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

There are very detailed instructions for reverting to 1Password 6 in this AgileBits' post. However, if I were you I'd hold off doing that for a while because someone will come along and help you with your Dropbox problem.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sebaz - I'm sorry for the trouble! If you've taken the time to look over the post @Stephen_C refers to, you'll have seen the bolded section that says we don't recommend using anything but the latest version of 1Password (and your OS, and other related software - outdated versions are often vectors for attack).

However, if you're resolved to revert, those instructions will work well for you. Can I ask: did you have trouble with 1Password 7 we could help you solve, or do you just prefer version 6? If it's the former, we'd be happy to help get you squared away. Just let me know! :)

• sebaz
    sebaz
    Community Member

Yes, I couldn't find a way to buy a license. I don't want to use the membership option and I didn't see the option to buy 1Password 7 on the UI.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sebaz - If you're in Read-Only mode in 1Password 7, (with it open and unlocked), click on 1Password 7 > Purchase 1Password from the menubar at the top of your screen.

• sebaz
    sebaz
    Community Member

Hey, I can't find that option

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sebaz - that looks very much as if you downloaded 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store instead of from us directly. If that's the case, it explains why you can't see either the option to view your license or - if you don't have one - the option to purchase: because we are not selling standalone licenses on the Mac App Store.

If you want to purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac, please follow these steps:

• Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    • Delete the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac (Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash)
    • Visit our downloads page and grab the latest version of 1Password 7 for Mac
    • Run the installer

Depending on the state of your previous install, you'll either get asked to purchase a license (or subscribe) as part of the install process, or you'll just get the lock screen again. If you enter your Master Password, you should now be able to see the purchase options in 1Password 7's menu item.

• sebaz
    sebaz
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Great Lars! Thanks!

I complete all this steps and now I have v7 up and running :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sebaz - excellent! Glad I was able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.