Old "Family" license upgrade and questions

Options
srhuston
srhuston
Community Member

I've been a 1Password user for a long time, and when my wife started using it we bought a family license (some time around 1Password 4.x I believe). We both currently are running 6.x on our Mac OS machines, as well as the app on our mobile devices. We each have our own vault, plus a shared vault (which was an easier way to handle password sharing at the time than what I believe exists now).

Looking at upgrade paths, the first problem I see is that her Mac is not running Sierra, and so v7 won't work there. But I also fail to see the family license purchase option, or even mention of standalone licenses on the pricing page - only the subscription model. Like another on a recent thread here, I understand the encryption and how it works and what is actually being stored on AgileBits servers, but have reservations against storing the encrypted blob there, so a subscription model that limits how I sync my data is something I will have to think long and hard about. It's one of the main reasons I've stayed away from services like LastPass and loved (and promoted) 1Password instead.

My questions then (and I'll newline these to make a reply easier since there's more than one :D ), what options exist other than the subscription model and where are they detailed on the website?

It looks like following the "Downloads" link at the bottom of the screen might be key, so is pricing detailed inside the app when you run it?

Is there a way I can upgrade our current license to something so that when we're ready to get her a new computer that can run Sierra she too can upgrade to 7?

Can vaults sync between 6 and 7 on individually licensed copies that don't use a subscription or AgileBits-hosted syncing?

If I were to decide to move to the family plan, is it possible to still sync data with my wife's Mac running v6 or would I have to hold off on the upgrade until she gets a newer machine and can run v7?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• TomD
    TomD
    Community Member
    Options

My question is very similar. I have an old family license for the standalone 1Password. I am not interested in the cloud option, What are my upgrade options & costs for the standalone? Will 1Password 6 continue to be supported?

• Arpan
    Arpan
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same question. I purchased the family license pack a couple years back. I would like to upgrade to the latest family pack. But you are only giving an option to purchase a single license. How do I purchase the family license?

I'm really hoping you are not going to discontinue the family license -- I can't afford to buy individual licenses for each person in my family -- would make 1Password too expensive for me to utilize.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have the same question. I purchased the family license pack a couple years back. I would like to upgrade to the latest family pack. But you are only giving an option to purchase a single license. How do I purchase the family license?

@Arpan: We introduced 1Password Families back in 2016. That includes 5 family members in the base price, and allows to you not only share vaults securely and use all of the apps:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

But also help them recover their accounts if they get locked out.

I'm really hoping you are not going to discontinue the family license -- I can't afford to buy individual licenses for each person in my family -- would make 1Password too expensive for me to utilize.

Licenses are per-person, but if you're sure you want licenses and to sync your own data, you can get a discount by purchasing them during the launch special. And we're happy to help at sales@1password.com :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

My question is very similar. I have an old family license for the standalone 1Password. I am not interested in the cloud option, What are my upgrade options & costs for the standalone? Will 1Password 6 continue to be supported?

@TomD: 1Password licenses are per-person. You can get a discount by purchasing them during the launch special. And we're happy to help at sales@1password.com

1Password 6 is no longer under active development, but if there is a critical security issue it will be addressed.

• Arpan
    Arpan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty. I'm not asking about the family sharing features -- I'm using dropbox to share a vault. I was asking about the family license. I can't afford to purchase 5 individual licenses for my family. Previously the family licenses (5 user) was around $60. Now it would cost me $200 to upgrade to 1Password 7. That's a price increase of over 300%.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My questions then (and I'll newline these to make a reply easier since there's more than one :D ), what options exist other than the subscription model and where are they detailed on the website?

@srhuston: There are no details about licenses because it's really straightforward: they are sold per-person directly within the app: https://1password.com/downloads/

It looks like following the "Downloads" link at the bottom of the screen might be key, so is pricing detailed inside the app when you run it?

Yep! If you don't already have a license, you'll be asked to buy one to unlock the app.

Is there a way I can upgrade our current license to something so that when we're ready to get her a new computer that can run Sierra she too can upgrade to 7?

Reach out via email at sales@1password.com and we can help with that. :)

Can vaults sync between 6 and 7 on individually licensed copies that don't use a subscription or AgileBits-hosted syncing?

Yep! 1Password 6 and 7 both support OPVault, so you can sync between them.

If I were to decide to move to the family plan, is it possible to still sync data with my wife's Mac running v6 or would I have to hold off on the upgrade until she gets a newer machine and can run v7?

Yep! The latest version of 1Password 6 is still compatible with 1Password.com accounts, just as version 7 is. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Arpan: I'm sorry I missed your comment earlier. I guess you were replying while I was.

Hi Brenty. I'm not asking about the family sharing features -- I'm using dropbox to share a vault. I was asking about the family license. I can't afford to purchase 5 individual licenses for my family. Previously the family licenses (5 user) was around $60. Now it would cost me $200 to upgrade to 1Password 7. That's a price increase of over 300%.

"Family" licenses have not been available for years now. We introduced 1Password Families memberships since then because, frankly, it was a pain for a lot of our loved ones and many of our customers and theirs to deal with sync configuration for 3rd party services just to share passwords with each other and secure their own data. I've been a Dropbox user myself for a decade now, and while I was skeptical at first (I definitely know how to use Dropbox!) it's saved me a ton of hassle personally, and because it's now much easier for my family to use without my "tech support". And, as you note, that can save you a lot of money over purchasing multiple licenses, on top of adding a ton more convenience, security, and features.

This discussion has been closed.