How to migrate from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7?

Options
emiel
emiel
Community Member

I bought a license for 1Password 7. Installed 1Password 7. Downloaded the license. But the app only gives me this 'Start your free trial' screen (https://cl.ly/rm9r/1P7_1.png). When I click 'back' and point 1Password 7 to the vaults in my Dropbox, it says "The file name will end in .opvault". But the file name in my Dropbox end in .agilekeychain. Doesn't work.

So no automatic conversion happened between version 6 and 7.

What to do? I can't use the application, all its menus are grayed-out. Tried opening the license file, I get the 'You are licensed!' confirmation… but no access to the application, it keeps showing this 'Let's get started!' screen.

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@emiel - I'm sorry for the trouble! I'm not sure how that would've not worked for you. What version of 1Password were you upgrading from? I'm curious about that -- but at this point, I'd like you to try the following:

• Quit 1Password completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    • Check to be sure no stray 1Password processes are running by opening Activity Monitor on your Mac (in the Utilities folder inside your Application folder) and searching on 1pass. If you find any, close them.
    • Restart your Mac
    • Re-launch 1Password 7 for Mac

See if you're offered the option to import your previous Agile Keychains. If not, at the startup screen, choose to create a standalone vault (under "More Options"), and give it the same Master Password as you were using in your previous setup. Once it's created go to File > Import and choose the 1Password Keychain option. Click “Choose File” and navigate to the location of your Agile Keychain file. Click “Open.” Let me know how that works for you!

• emiel
    emiel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I followed your quit + restart Mac scenario. No luck, still stuck on this 'Let's get started!' screen after opening 1Password 7. I'm trying to upgrade from 1Password 6.8.9.

Do I really have to start from scratch and import? Sounds so… 1995. How will I be sure this import is successful? Do I have to do this for every vault I have?

• emiel
    emiel
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I choose the option to restore from a '1p4_zip' backup file and set Dropbox as their sync method. I hope your iOS apps automatically recognise these new .opvault files.

A: no, I had to change the sync-settings for various vaults manually on iPhone and iPad. Weird transition from 6 to 7. Probably only issues for weird old non-subscribers.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @emiel,

I am sorry to hear it wasn't a smooth transition on the Mac from 6 to 7 as Lars has been trashing his Mac to repeatedly test this very scenario. Multiple devices attached to an older Agile Keychain were sadly always going to require a bit of manual work. Thankfully though it's a one-off so you shouldn't be bothered by it again.

• jan_spidlen
    jan_spidlen
    Community Member
    Options

same problem. I lost my computer so I got a new one.

Synced my DBX, downloaded the latest 1PWD 7 manager... and my 1Password.agilekeychain cannot be opened as the new version supports only .opvault.

now, I am stranded without having any of my pwds. I can't login into any of my services... this is as useless as it gets.

• emptyskies
    emptyskies
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in the same boat… I had to look up my password on my phone in order to even log in to comment on this thread

• TheVG
    TheVG
    Community Member
    Options

Same here -- this is bad. I followed the steps Lars outlined above, and after doing File>Import I got an error message: "Unable To Copy Item to Destination Vault" because it is not in a format 1P can understand. Just trying to import the Agile Keychain from Dropbox. About half of my login items and secure notes transferred; half did not. Now what?

• TheVG
    TheVG
    Community Member
    Options

I purchased 1P7 through a license if that helps.

• tmpz
    tmpz
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hello,

I have a copy of 1Password 6. Do I have to buy another license for 7 or does my license work?

I am trying to sync via Dropbox my passwords from 1Password 6 on Mac A to 1Password 7 on Mac B

On 1Password 7 I can only open .opvault files and on 1Password 6 I don't now how to convert my .agilekeychain to an .opvault

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @jan_spidlen! Sorry to hear about the upgrading difficulties. Not quite sure what you mean specifically by "synced my DBX," but it shouldn't make too much difference for what we need to do. I do have a question, however. Did you new Mac ever have 1Password 6 for Mac (or earlier) running on it, or did you install 1Password 7 for Mac onto it when it was new, and then try to sync your Dropbox keychain(s) in the Agile Keychain format?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @emptyskies! Looks like we've got a few people with upgrade difficulties -- sorry for the inconvenience. Can you give us a little more information about what you specifically tried to do? "Same boat" doesn't give us a lot to work with. Are you in the same boat as Jan, where you purchased a new computer? Or something different? Please let us know what version you had previously, and what steps you took. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@emiel - Yesterday for some reason your CloudApp link wasn't working for me, so I took a guess at what screen you were seeing. Today, for whatever reason, it IS working, and I can see that you've clicked the "start my trial" (for a 1Password membership). If you'll notice, on that screen, you'll see "Go Back" in the lower-right hand corner of the window. Clicking it should get you to a screen that looks like this:

Don't click "I'm a New User" (since you're not), and don't click "1Password.com," since that's what takes you back to the screen in your screenshot -- setting up a new user account. Instead, do the following:
    1. Choose More Options at the above screen
    2. Choose Search My Mac at the next screen. You should get a screen that looks like this:

3. Choose the data from your previous installation (it will either say, as this one does, "1Password from our website" or "1Password from the Mac App Store" if you had the Mac App Store version of 1Password 6).
    4. Click "Use Selected Vault" in blue at the bottom, and 1Password should show you the lock screen.
    5. Enter your Master Password, and you should see your data in the same condition it was in when you were using 1Password 6.
    6. Visit Preferences > Sync and check whether your vaults are syncing. If not, choose to sync via Dropbox, and 1Password will write out a new OPVault to replace any old Agile Keychains.

Remember, you'll need to switch any other instances of the 1Password you use (on mobile devices or other computers) over to use the new OPVault, as well. Let us know how that works for you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @TheVG! Sorry the above steps did not work for you. Don't worry; your 1Password 6 data is still where you left it. It's stored in a different place from 1Password 7, so you won't affect it by resetting 1Password 7 data. In fact, that's what I'd like you to do right now: open 1Password 7 and choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data. This will remove all 1Password 7 data and quit 1Password. Next, please follow the steps I gave to @emiel, above. Just the numbered ones, 1-6. Let us know how that works for you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @tmpz!

I have a copy of 1Password 6. Do I have to buy another license for 7 or does my license work?

Excellent question! It depends on the date of your purchase. Any licenses for 1Password 6 for Mac which were purchased on or after March 27th, 2018 will be automatically accepted. If you purchased version 6 prior to 3/27/18 or your license is for an earlier version, you'll need to purchase a new license to use 1Password 7 for Mac.

Your other option would be to take this opportunity to choose a 1password.com membership instead of a license. That's the best and (depending on your setup) usually the least-expensive way to use 1Password. If you choose a license, however, they are on sale during this launch period for $49.99, instead of the usual $64.99.

On 1Password 7 I can only open .opvault files and on 1Password 6 I don't now how to convert my .agilekeychain to an .opvault

No worries! For your information, 1Password 7 no longer syncs the Agile Keychain format. If you have Agile Keychains in 1Password 6 for Mac on another Mac, please follow these instructions to get your sync keychains converted from Agile Keychain to OPVault. Once you've done that on your other Mac, you should be able to use the Dropbox option on the Mac with 1Password 7 to sync your data. Let us know if you run in to any difficulties!

• fmorgan
    fmorgan
    Community Member
    Options

So I have 1P 6 from the Apple store, using both an iCloud (personal) and a 1P Account (work) and only this last one was offered to be migrated.
    Both 1Password versions are from the Mac AppStore

• TheVG
    TheVG
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars -- thank you. I followed the steps above and hit a snag at step 3. What shows up when I search my Mac for the data is a file in ~/Library/Containers -- I don't see either "1Password from our website" or "1Password from the Mac App Store" as an option.

I have 1P6 as a license, not a subscription, and sync through DropBox -- if that is relevant.

• TheVG
    TheVG
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

To follow up: the snag at step 3 is that when I select the file it found, it asks for my master password, but won't accept it when I enter it. It returns an error message: "Failed to unlock. Cannot locate keychain with the specified identifier."

• jb360
    jb360
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in the exact same boat as TheVG. When I search for the vaults on my Mac, it's showing a vault in /Library/Containers and I can select this, but then it won't accept my password for the vault.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TheVG - sounds like you may have moved some things around over time; without taking a closer look it's difficult to say for certain. Or possibly it may be that the Agile Keychain is corrupted. You said originally that only some of your items were imported; that shouldn't even be possible, which -- combined with this -- is making me think things are not good with that Agile Keychain. Let's try this: Quit 1Password 7 and the extension helpr by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Then drag 1Password 7 to the trash. Open your Dropbox folder on your Mac, and drag the Agile Keychains out to your desktop temporarily. Reinstall 1Password 6 for Mac if you have a copy of the installer. If not, you can download a fresh copy from this link. Run the installer and open 1Password with your Master Password. You'll get a sync error (since the Agile Keychain doesn't exist any more). Visit Preferences > Sync and turn off syncing for each vault you have. Then, turn it back ON again. This will cause 1Password to write out an OPVault instead of an Agile Keychain, which will have two beneficial effects: one, it should take care of any corruption of the keychain, and two: it will be directly importable into 1Password 7. Give everything a chance to sync with Dropbox, then Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) again.

Once that's done, In Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder, then copy and paste the following in the pop-up: `~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/~

• Locate the folder called Data and delete it by dragging it to your Mac's Trash
    • Empty your Mac’s Trash
    • Restart your Mac

When you restart, locate your installer for 1Password 7 and run it. This should re-start the entire process. Let me know how that works for you!

• TheVG
    TheVG
    Community Member
    Options

Haven't moved a thing -- Agile Keychain corruption is what makes sense to me. I'll give what you have outlined here a whirl and let you know. Thanks!

• tmpz
    tmpz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Lars, I wish this information was somewhere more accessible.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tmpz - you're quite welcome! I'm not sure what information you'd have liked to have more accessible, but I'm glad I was able to assist.

• jbiedlin
    jbiedlin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars - I was having the exact same problem as mentioned above by emiel. I was also a 6.8.9 license user and performed the recommended steps on your website (https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/) to upgrade to v. 7. I purchased the license, completely closed 1P6 as recommended, and then performed the steps to migrate my data from 6 to 7. Unfortunately, this did not work for me either and my Dropbox sync also did not work. Strangely, the new opn vault that was created had no data in it.

I found this forum and I cleared the 1P7 data as you suggested above by doing help/troubleshooting/reset all 1p data. I then performed the 6 steps that you outlined above and this WORKED! 1P7 is up and running now and Dropbox sync seems to be working fine. I would encourage other users to make sure and clear that 1P7 data and then trip the six-step process you outline above.

Separately, any tips for safely and completing removing 1P6 once I feel confident everything is working correctly?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@jbiedlin - glad to hear my earlier instructions worked for you as well! In terms of removing version 6, if it is still in your Applications folder, you can delete it by dragging it to your Mac's Trash. Because version 6 and version 7 store their data in different locations within your library folder, there's no reason to do anything more than remove the app itself. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash, then empty the Trash. Cheers! :)

ref: XTV-61464-874

• jan_spidlen
    jan_spidlen
    Community Member
    Options

re 'Synced my DBX' -> I meant that I synced the 1pwd file (1Password.agilekeychain) from my Dropbox to my computer

ok so update on my end... somehow magically 1Password6 started. I have never downloaded it. I have downloaded the 7 version but after restarting the computer 1pwd6 was present so I was able to open the 1Password.agilekeychain

when 1PWD7 was running it didn't let me open 1Password.agilekeychain -> please fix that issue.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jan_spiden - 1Password 6 can't "magically start" without it existing somewhere on your hard drive or attached drives, and that means you or someone with access to your Mac downloaded it at some point. I'm glad you were able to gain access to your 1Password items again in version 6, but you really should not be running both version 6 and version 7 at the same time; serious conflicts can and likely will ensue.

when 1PWD7 was running it didn't let me open 1Password.agilekeychain -> please fix that issue.

1Password 7 no longer syncs the Agile Keychain format, and this decision is intentional; we won't be "fixing" it. However, if you had any vaults in the Agile Keychain format, then when you installed 1Password 7, you should have been notified. 1Password should then import your Agile Keychains and offer to sync your data using the newer OPVault format. You’ll get a choice of where to place the new OPVault - the default is in the same Dropbox folder as your Agile Keychain. After writing out the new keychain, you’ll need to switch all other 1Password apps to the new OPVault keychain instead of the older Agile Keychain.

Can I ask: when you open your /Applications folder, what do you see there under 1Password?

• TheVG
    TheVG
    Community Member
    Options

I got help via email around the same time Lars posted the suggestion just above, and the path suggest in the email seemed simpler, so I tried it. And it worked! It was:

1. Open 1Password 7 and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data, and follow the prompts.
    2. That will take you back to the Welcome window. Click More Options > Restore from Backup.
    3. Click Choose Backup and navigate to ~Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups and select the latest file.
    4. Once that gets imported you'll be able to re-enable Dropbox sync by going to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@TheVG - glad you got things sorted. :) For the present, it's probably OK to use backups from the previous version to restore into the current one, but I wouldn't count on being able to do that reliably for too much longer; a single schema change may give you decidedly unexpected results...and we do change things around from time to time. But all's well that ends well. Can I ask a favor of you? If you have questions or issues in the future, please choose a method of contacting us and stick with it -- if we have to try to connect the dots between multiple responses among multiple coworkers here across various channels of communication, it slows down the support times for everyone, including you. Thanks, we appreciate it.

ref: QQH-31997-464

• murphy
    murphy
    Community Member
    Options

Hello little helpers from AgileBits,

thanks for the cool program :) Now i have a problem here :)

I have a new MacBook and trying to start with 1Password 7. I synced my Dropbox to the new Mac and i cannot import the old agilekeychain file in 1Password 7. I does not find it when i try "Sync with Dropbox". Also i cannot use "more options" and "Search my Mac". How to i import the agilekeychain in 1Password 7? Just again: It's a new Mac. I'm upgrading from an old Mac with OSX 10.11 to a new Mac with 10.13. The old one does not run 1Password 7. I don't want to clutter the new one with 1Password 6. Any chance for the import of the file?

Thanks,
    Torsten

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@murphy: Indeed, it isn't possible to use an AgileKeychain with 1Password 7. But if you go to File > Import you can add the data there. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.