Applying my license to 1Password 7?

Options
kaatmaca
kaatmaca
Community Member

I've had a license for 1Password for sometime - and I'm having trouble applying it to 1 Password 7.
I've managed to get

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaatmaca
    kaatmaca
    Community Member
    Options

Posted too soon...

I've managed to have my license sent via email - but I still can't apply it to the update version?

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

• rudy
    Options

@kaatmaca,

If the license for 1Password is one that you purchased awhile ago, for version 4/5/6 then that license won't work with version 7. 1Password 7 requires either a new license purchase or a subscription to a 1Password.com account in order to fully function.

Rudy

• kaatmaca
    kaatmaca
    Community Member
    Options

...How did I know this would be the answer..

thanks.

• dalonsod
    dalonsod
    Community Member
    Options

ok so I found this out after I installed 1Password 7.... how do I uninstall and go back to 6? and how is there not a discount code for existing customers perhaps an upgrade price versus regular price for new folks like all other software makers?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dalonsod,

Deleting the 1Password application bundle is all you need to do to remove 1Password 7. You should find 1Password 6 is still there but in a ZIP file so it doesn't interfere with 1Password, if you extract the contents you can return to 1Password 6 with no other hoops to jump through. If you don't have the ZIP file any more then you can download a copy of 1Password 6 from "Downloads - 1Password" page and clicking on the Using OS X El Capitan or earlier? link just below the Download button.

We currently have a launch special on instead of a discount code although it is worth noting the launch special is a time limited offer. Dave has said while he doesn't know how long it probably will be something like a fortnight.

• unsu
    unsu
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I also installed 1Password 7 directly from the website and did not find where to buy the licence for v7. There was only one option in the menu to buy the membership. I seached everywhere and did not find how to purchase perpetual license. I simply removed the v7 application and re-installed version 6 from the mac app store (go to your purchases, find 1password and click install)

• freddiecm
    freddiecm
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1Password7 installed and the license file but I can't seem to get the license to apply. Every time I open the app to choose License, I get the buy me screen. When I close it to choose to apply the license file, it quits/crashes. Help!!

• freddiecm
    freddiecm
    Community Member
    Options

I figured it out but, man was it convoluted. The secret is on the Buy Me screen, you have to click the buy a license link, THEN go to 1Password 7>License and navigate to the file. I'm surprised it was so complex - you guys are usually super user-friendly!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@unsu, are you interested in returning to 1Password 7 or do you want to stick with 1Password 6 for a while longer?

@freddiecm, I'm sorry to hear we made this tougher than it should be. I haven't mucked about with the licences much but it does sound like we've got some finessing to do.

• rodnem
    rodnem
    Community Member
    Options

Hello
    I don't want to subscribe.
    Please give me the link to renew or buy a license

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Download 1Password 7 and then follow the detailed steps set out in this AgileBits' post. (And, for those of using licences, it is pretty irritating that it's sufficiently convoluted that there has been an awful lot of questions like this on the forum.)

Stephen

• ag_kevin
    Options

Hi @rodnem @Stephen_C and others,

When you were using a standalone license in version 6 and upgrade to version 7, you are presented with "welcome" window to purchase a version 7 license or switch to a membership. There is a green button to switch to a membership, but just below that you can click the link to purchase a license. You are taken to a comparison screen where there is a button to purchase the license. Choose that option, and you will be presented with the lock screen. Once you unlock, you will be presented with a purchase window.

I know it seems a little convoluted, but we wanted to allow you to unlock first before showing the actual purchase window, so that you can choose your credit card and identity from your data to make purchasing easier. If just showed the purchase window up front, your data would not be available to fill in the purchase window.

We are continuing to refine this process, and thank you for providing feedback on the matter.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Noedels
    Noedels
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @ag_kevin,

I have the same problem here. I've got a license for 1Password 4 and my credit card is charged yearly. I simply want to upgrade to 1Password 7 but I need a licence file for that which I can't find.

I can't cancel my subscription since I also can't log in to my account.

When I try to sign up for a trial it tells me that there's already an account using my email (of course).

I haven't got a secret key so basicly I just keep running in circles here. Any tip on how I get to log into my 1Password account without a secret key?

I don't have any emergency kit anymore since it was probably stored on my old pc which now is somewhere in the junkyard.

Please help!

Kind regards,
    Nick

• Hi @Noedels

Please email our sales team at sales@1password.com from the email address associated with your 1Password account so that we can investigate the situation further. It sounds as though you may have a 1Password membership, but if you don’t know the credentials for that it may be necessary to start over. In either case our sales team will be able to better assist via email, as they’ll be able to research what you currently have.

With your email please also include a link to your comment: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/458629/#Comment_458629

Thanks.

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@code_snoop

look we want a STANDALONE license...

Great news, then! We have standalone licenses available for 1Password 7 for Mac. If that's all you were worried about, problem solved. :)

Regarding the rest of your argument, I confess to not really understanding the logic behind it. Or, if I do understand it, I don't think it holds very well. It's beyond the scope of this forum or my job to discuss the ins-and-outs of other platforms/products, but are you really suggesting that Netflix or Spotify should offer you their full catalog for a one-time fee, permanently? If so, I wonder if you really understand how subscriptions work, and what they're for. Regardless, those are content providers who are fundamentally different from what we do.

Any commercial software application that you plan to use for a long period of time will have periodic charges unless you plan to stick with the increasingly outdated version that you purchased originally. The traditional software model is: new charges for new full-version upgrades (in-version updates are typically free). So a user who wants to use a product over the long term will have these charges periodically -- they just won't be at exactly-predictable intervals, rather, it'll be whenever the developer releases new versions. But that's really the only significant difference between that and a subscription model. A 1password.com membership gives users a predictability to what they spend, and how often - once a year, or monthly. And they know in advance what the charge will be.

So what ARE those charges, especially in comparison to the standalone version? Well, which is a better deal depends on how you want to use 1Password. But let's take just a single, individual user to start. That actually gives the best "weight" to a standalone license's value. A standalone license of 1Password 7 for Mac costs $64.99, regular price. It's currently on sale for $49.99 at "launch special" prices, but that's not going to last forever, and it's not the regular price. A single individual 1password.com membership costs $2.99/mo if you pay annually ($35.88/yr). We do not have ANY plans which cost $10 a month, so I'm not sure where you heard it -- but you can verify for yourself that’s not the case on our pricing page.

Anyway, if you purchase a standalone license at regular price of $64.99, it would take you just under 22 months to spend the same amount at $2.99/mo on your 1password.com membership. That's nearly two years. So the question becomes: will we release a new version in 22 months? If we release earlier than that, then the 1password.com membership is actually a better deal. It's a closer call, certainly, and a single user might decide either way. If it took us 26 or 28 months or longer to release a new version, then the standalone license starts to become a better deal incrementally with each passing month.

Or it would become a better deal if there weren't many other advantages of a 1password.com membership. But there are. One of the most significant in terms of this discussion is that with every 1password.com membership, you get access to all four of our native 1Password apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). Do you use multiple platforms? If so, you'd need licenses for each. Not with a membership. Change phones from an iPhone to the slick new Google Pixel 3 when it comes out? That's another license to purchase...but not if you have a membership. I think you get the idea.

There's also multi-user benefits in the form of 1Password Families, which is where the equation really starts to tip in favor of 1password.com memberships. A 1Password Families account is $4.99/mo...but it includes up to five family members for that price - that's under $1/mo each if you have five family members. But even with just a couple of people, it's still a much better deal financially than purchasing two separate licenses for each person. $4.99/mo is $59.88/yr, while TWO 1Password 7 for Mac licenses would be $129.98. And five 1Password 7 for Mac licenses would be $324.95. If best-bang-for-your-buck is your main goal, it's pretty hard to argue with those numbers.

I guess, to sum up, I'm not really certain what the angst is about. Don't like subscriptions and/or don't need the additional benefits of a 1password.com membership? We have standalone licenses for both platforms (Mac and Windows). And if you DO like the sound of effortless, no-setup syncing, iterative item backups (restorable), easily-budgetable costs, and access to the latest versions on all platforms as soon as they're released with no extra charges, then 1password.com is for you. Whatever you choose, you're getting 1Password 7 for Mac. Everybody wins. :)

• thejase
    thejase
    Community Member
    Options

I am not speaking for @code_snoop, but your response above precisely defines the frustration. Why should I have to pay an ongoing fee and guess which is the better deal when I simply want one license for whatever platform I may use in the next year or two? This fragmented pricing model seems purposefully complicated in order to convince people to "subscribe."

It's not really that hard to comprehend the original comment. @code_snoop's apparent exhaustion with the latest subscription trends is quite sound if not a bit disjointed in presentation. Bottom line: I want y'all to be well-supported, but I'd much rather pay to own (as much as logically possible), not rent–it's too easy to "forget" about micro-transaction subscription models, and you know it. The fact that you have to spell out the options and formulae in three paragraphs should speak for itself.

TLDR: I just want 1Password 7 (not 8/9/10) on any platform without being double-licensed or chained by my VISA. It's that simple. This business model has existed for years.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thejase

Why should I have to pay an ongoing fee and guess which is the better deal...

you don't have to guess, you can do the math and find out (relatively) precisely which is the better deal, if out-of-pocket cost is your main motivator in how you choose your security software.

I simply want one license for whatever platform I may use in the next year or two

OK, then please purchase a standalone license, we're glad to have them available for you. Licenses are, however, sold per-person and per-platform, meaning you'd need to purchase a license for the platform you want, as Mac licenses do not work for Windows, and vice-versa.

I want y'all to be well-supported

Thanks. :)

but I'd much rather pay to own (as much as logically possible), not rent

This is where I stop understanding the reasoning: if you (or I) didn't write and don't own the code for ANY software ourselves, then we can't "own" it -- only the authors/copyright holders own it. What you can get is a set of terms which license you to use certain forms/versions of it, under certain conditions, for a certain amount of money. There are different methods made available to do this. If you prefer to make your ongoing payments to us or any other provider of software that you use in larger, farther-apart chunks (licenses for specific versions), you're welcome to do so. If you prefer smaller and more regular and predictable intervals, you can choose those terms as well. We're happy to offer you both. Thanks for dropping by and sharing your views on this. :)

• Wunk
    Wunk
    Community Member
    Options

To be honest, the way personal vaults and one-time licenses are hidden and the subscription model is pushed, leaves a bit of a bad taste. I actually have NOT upgraded to 1Password7 because I seriously thought this wasn't an option anymore.

I love 1Password, but I absolutely do not like the convoluted way the local/dropbox/icloud vaults are hidden. You mention that these are "complicated and we want to make it easy as possible", but the reason is complicated is because you seem to have purposely have MADE this complicated in the interface. I cannot reason otherwise when I see how 'hidden' the non-subscription vaults are in the interface. You have to go through 3 or 4 steps for the option and license purchase to even show up at all. Sorry but that's VERY shady (bad trait for a company selling security if you ask me)

And I don't trust my passwords at a password-vault provider. I understand it's all secure etc, etc. But you've got a huge bullseye on you for hackers as you ONLY store password vaults. When I use my own (private) encrypted cloud, the attack vector becomes a lot more fuzzy and less centralized.

Honestly, I don't mind paying for updates in a model that gives me full control over my own vault locations. But the fact that this is so obscure right now honestly made me stop spending money and stick to 1password4 on Windows and 1Password6 on mac. The license isn't on your website, it's not mentioned and I only see monthly subscription models for online vaults.

So I stopped paying for upgrades for years. I might consider an upgrade now that I know I can.
    But do know that this really stains your image imho.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Wunk! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. The de-emphasizing of standalone licenses is a very conscious choice, not an oversight. 1password.com memberships are by far the best way for new users to use 1Password these days, for many reasons. Standalone licenses are still sold for both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows and are available for those who already know what they are and know they want them. But most people new to 1Password just...want to use 1Password. A 1password.com membership allows them to download the correct app for whatever platform they're using (Mac, Windows, iOS or Android) -- or no app at all, if they want to use 1Password X -- then sign into their account and be done; no licenses to make sure exist and are downloaded across apps, no advanced-yet-limited 3rd party sync services to set up.

I actually have NOT upgraded to 1Password7 because I seriously thought this wasn't an option anymore.

Glad you learned that's not the case! :) You can download both 1Password 7 for Windows and 1Password 7 for Mac and purchase a license for both, directly in the Purchase Options window. They're $64.99 each, but currently they're on sale for $49.99 (over 23% off). I can't say how much longer that will be the case, however, since they've been on sale quite a while now. Let us know if you have any questions or difficulties getting upgraded.

• davebarnes
    davebarnes
    Community Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

I am so frustrated.
    I have 1Password 7 with a license on 2 Macs.
    However, on the 3rd Mac, the word "license" does not appear in the 1Password 7 pulldown menu.
    When I click on the 1P extension button in Safari to use a login I get a popup screen with a big green button to subscribe.
    I don't want to subscribe to anything. I just want to add the license to this copy of 1Password 7.
    How do I do this?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @davebarnes! Sorry for the frustration. My guess without knowing more is that you probably downloaded 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store instead of from us? You can check in the 1Password menu > About. If that's the case, you'll need to Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then delete that Mac App Store version. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Then head over to our downloads page and grab our own version, which will allow you to apply your license file here as well. Let me know how that goes for you. :)

• davebarnes
    davebarnes
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Lars.
    Problem solved.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@davebarnes - awesome! Glad I was able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.