Help pages seem to be disconnected from 1Password reality

aubreyapple
aubreyapple
Community Member

https://support.1password.com/item-history/ is 'View and Restore...' Under restore items, it says open the vault, select the item and click 'View Item History' I see no such ability in the 1Password window!

In https://support.1password.com/backups/#mac-restore-a-backup:
It says open 1Password and choose File->Restore. No such menu item exists!

These are dated October 2017, so they should not be for version 7.0, are they?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• @aubreyapple,

I don't think anything has changed there. the item-history is actually referring to the web interface, which is they only place you can currently access item history.

The second link, for restoring from backup also appears to be correct.

Is that not what you see when you click on the File menu in 1Password?

Rudy

• aubreyapple
    aubreyapple
    Community Member

No, both backup and restore are missing from the menu.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@aubreyapple - sorry for the confusion. And yes, these instructions are for version 7, which went live to the world yesterday and has been in beta testing for nearly two months prior to that. If you're looking to restore from a backup in 1Password 6 for Mac, however, the steps should be the same. Can I ask what version of 1Password 6 for Mac you're running? Here’s how to find your version if you don't know.

• aubreyapple
    aubreyapple
    Community Member

As it said in the initial post, it is 6.8.9.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@aubreyapple - you did indeed, sorry for the confusion. Can I ask: do you have standalone (local) vaults? Or are all your vaults part of a 1password.com subscription? If it's the latter, that would be why you have neither backup nor restore available to you in the File menu. 1password.com accounts are not backed up locally, but rather on the 1Password.com server.

• aubreyapple
    aubreyapple
    Community Member

My only vault is on the 1Password.com server, but I still do not see any instructions about how to access the 1Password.com server for backups; see also below:

Also, regarding the first question: You stated that I can only access the 'View Item History' item by logging into 1Password.com. However, I do not see any way to do that when I login. I DO see my 1password items, but no way to 'View Item History' there.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@aubreyapple

You stated that I can only access the 'View Item History' item by logging into 1Password.com. However, I do not see any way to do that when I login.

Choose any item. Look down towards the bottom. If the item has changed in any way since it was first uploaded to 1password.com (or created there), you will see a button that says "View Item History," like this:

If you don't see that for a given item, it is because the record you're already viewing (the current one) is the only record 1password.com has. If you DO see "View Item History," you will see a record of the changes and the state things were in prior to that. You can restore individual item states, dating as far back as the history goes.

• aubreyapple
    aubreyapple
    Community Member

Ok, I have only a short time ago switched to 1Password.com, so I guess most of my history is erased, sadly. I did find one that was changed on May 4th, and then I saw the 'View Item History' button.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aubreyapple: Indeed, item history cannot go back further than when you started using the account. Do you have your original vault from before that, or backups from that time?

This discussion has been closed.