1Password 7 purchasing options

Hello!

In regards to 1Password 7 standalone/non-subscription:

1) Is it possible to purchase a 1Password 7 license for Mac without actually having to download it? I'm not sure how purchasing licenses work, I thought I read it was done through the app itself?

2) Will 1Password for Windows work with earlier versions of 1Password for Mac with Dropbox syncing?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @ScarySulley

Good questions.

1) No. At present 1Password for Mac must be purchased from within the app. We don’t have a web store set up, and I’m not aware of any definite plans at this point to do so.

2) I could give a more detailed answer given specific version info, but in general: yes. Both 1Password for Windows and 1Password for Mac have supported Dropbox and OPVault for some time now (with the notable exception of 1Password 6 for Windows, which is subscription only).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Hi @Ben,

Thank you for your reply.

1) No. At present 1Password for Mac must be purchased from within the app. We don’t have a web store set up, and I’m not aware of any definite plans at this point to do so.

Out of curiosity, how does this work when purchasing the license through the app? Do you just enter your billing information into a window within 1Password and it sends you an email with relevant information? I'm assuming it's the same way for both Mac and Windows?

2) I could give a more detailed answer given specific version info, but in general: yes. Both 1Password for Windows and 1Password for Mac have supported Dropbox and OPVault for some time now (with the notable exception of 1Password 6 for Windows, which is subscription only).

My Mac version is 4.3.3. My Windows version is 4.6.2.626. I don't think I'm using the OPVault, which is the newest and latest one right? How can we check which vault format we're using?

Also regarding the different vault types, what is the diffierence between the agilekeychain and OPVault formats? Is it possible to convert to the newer OPVault?

Thanks again!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks again!

You’re very welcome. :)

Out of curiosity, how does this work when purchasing the license through the app? Do you just enter your billing information into a window within 1Password and it sends you an email with relevant information? I'm assuming it's the same way for both Mac and Windows?

Essentially, yes.

My Mac version is 4.3.3. My Windows version is 4.6.2.626. I don't think I'm using the OPVault, which is the newest and latest one right? How can we check which vault format we're using?

Look in Dropbox and see what the file extension on your keychain is. It’ll either be agilekeychain or opvault.

Also regarding the different vault types, what is the diffierence between the agilekeychain and OPVault formats?

This page should explain:

About the OPVault format

Is it possible to convert to the newer OPVault?

Yes. Instructions can be found here:

How to switch to the OPVault format from Agile Keychain

Ben

• Hi @Ben,

Thanks for the info.

I think this part of my question was accidentally skipped (bolded):

Would there be any issues using 1Password 7 for Windows and 1Password 4.3.3 for Mac with either vault format and with Dropbox syncing

Thanks again!

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@ScarySulley: I have to be honest, I have no idea if that will work. We don't test with 1Password 4, and even I haven't had a Mavericks VM in a while, much less a Mac that could run that OS. The best advice I can give you is to backup before you try it. 1Password 7 only supports OPVault, so if you have an AgileKeychain in Dropbox it will be converted (or you'll have to import from it) when you upgrade. Provided the old Mac can read and write to it without trouble though that should be just fine.

• Why are you guys so evasive and vague when it comes to how to buy a license? If people want to pay you a one time fee of $50 or more, then I don't understand why it's so difficult to find out HOW to do that. This is what I mean:

From ScarySulley: Out of curiosity, how does this work when purchasing the license through the app? Do you just enter your billing information into a window within 1Password and it sends you an email with relevant information? I'm assuming it's the same way for both Mac and Windows?

From Ben: Essentially, yes.

How about a step-by-step instruction of HOW to buy the license within the app on Mac? I have clicked on literally every menu for the past 30 minutes and can't for the life of me find how to do this. I get you guys want to drive everyone to the monthly subscription, but this is beyond difficult to find how to get the one-time purchase.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@dpaulino

If you launch 1Password 7 and aren’t signed into a membership account it’ll imediately display a window asking you to either sign up for a membership trial or purchase a license. If you aren’t seeing that you may be signed into an account. You cannot purchase a license while signed into an account. Please sign out of the account first (1Password > Preferences > Accounts > select the account > click the “-“ button).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• I’ve also spent the last couple days spinning my wheels trying to upgrade to 1PW 7 license. Ideally, I would be able to just purchase and go! Unfortunately, it’s not so easy.

The membership trial v. purchase license window that you mentioned @Ben only has the single-user license option. Where can I go to purchase a family/Team license?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited June 2018

@linseyf,

There isn’t such a thing. Licenses are single user. If you’d like 1Password Families or 1Password Teams those are subscription services. You can read more about each of them here, respectively:

We also have 1Password Business memberships available.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• JeffoisJeffois
    edited June 2018

I currently have a license via the Mac App Store. I'd prefer to keep the license option, rather than subscribing. What are the terms of the license at this stage? I know that I can only purchase a license via the web download. I have more than one computer in the house, may I install on each? Thanks.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @Jeffois. Licenses are per-person, per-platform, per-major version (e.x. 1Password 7 for Mac Single User). You can install 1Password on any number of computers of the platform(s) you’re licensed for, but each person using 1Password on those computers would need their own license/membership. Major upgrades (e.x. v7 -> v8) would likely require a separate purchase.

Ben

• So, I have more than one Mac; do I have to purchase separate licenses for each machine?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Nope:

You can install 1Password on any number of computers of the platform(s) you’re licensed for, but each person using 1Password on those computers would need their own license/membership.

Ben

• I'm thoroughly confused. How many stand-alone licenses do I need if I have both a desktop and a laptop on one platform? (Mac in this case, in case that makes a difference.)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited June 2018

It depends entirely on how many people are using 1Password on those devices. The number of Macs is irrelevant. You can use 1Password on any number of Macs if you buy a 1Password for Mac license. Other people cannot use 1Password on those Macs unless they have their own license or a membership.

Ben

• Got it! Thank you.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You’re welcome. :)

Ben

• Ok, I guess I too was confused with the licensing I have multiple Macs and PCs. I just bought 2 PC licenses, and it sounds like I only need one Mac and one PC license can I use the extra PC license on my Mac?? If not how do I trade that in for a Mac license? Yes, I am the only user.

• Can somebody say me, what's the upgrade price from 6 to 7 is (What a secret!!!) ? I didn't want to download and start 1pw 7 to just see the price. Ido it in the public beta and it was a bit to tricky for me to remove it to simply let run 6 again.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @net_geek,

Please email our sales team at [email protected]. They should be able to refund one of the Windows licenses for you so that you can purchase a Mac license instead.

Ben

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@berlinhimmel

There is no ‘upgrade’ price, per-se. It is a separate purchase. There is currently a limited time introductory price of $50 USD before the price ultimately is set at $65 USD. I’m not entirely sure when that will end, but Dave has said he only expects it to last “a week or so” and that was over a week ago.

Ben

• @Ben

thanks for the info. Than I will stay on my version 6. 65 USD is to much for me and to much for a long time customer. I always upgrade 1PW since Version 2 and also for the app on the iPhone and bring you some new customers to. But without any upgrade option I'm not willing to pay a price like a full version (Greetings to @Dave for that strange decision). And no... I will not use a monthly subscription.

Sadly this Info wasn't also available at the special offer price at the beta time (it was 35 USD or?). So I set my hope to get an normal upgrade price.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

We talked about the beta pricing here:

The 1Password 7 Beta for Mac Is Lit and You Can Be, Too - AgileBits Blog

I agree that it is a little different than how we’ve done things in the past, but the process has been greatly simplified, which gives us more time to focus on making 1Password the best password manager available.

Ben

• which gives us more time to focus on making 1Password the best password manager available

Good point, but I'm a private person, working in Germany in a Kindergarten with not so much money each month. So I need to save my money to have_ the best future available for me_.

I really appreciate your work over the years, but that's really to much. Looking forward to get a deal in the future from you. Thanks.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Understood. I would bet that the intro pricing currently available is going to be about the best we’re going to see on licenses, but if you’d like to discuss a discount on upgrading to membership please feel free to reach out to our sales team at [email protected].

Thanks!

Ben

• I've been using 1PW since version 4 and it's an amazing product. I'm always excited to upgrade to the latest version. So it's hard to understand why AgileBits has chosen not to post the price of a standalone license on its pricing page for 1PW7. Maybe there's a good reason for this, and if so I would be happy to hear it. But as things stand this is not a good look for a company whose entire business model relies on the trust its users place in it. That looks like a business decision that fails to take the value of that trust into account. Just tell us how much a license costs! Forcing a download to see the price is no way to treat longtime customers. Also, although it's noted above that "There is no ‘upgrade’ price, per-se", the promotion page for 1PW7 says: "See your upgrade options". Therefore it's natural for a current license holder to think that there would be some kind of discount for upgrading.

Charge whatever you want, but my suggestion is to make those charges clear on your pricing page: A standalone license for 1PW7 is $50, and it doesn't matter whether you're a current license holder. Users might be mad about the price but that is of far less concern than creating a feeling that AgileBits is trying to hide something.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@jael: Indeed, there's a very good reason: we did just what you're suggesting for over a year after 1Password.com was introduced. It does, on its face, seem like a good idea. We certainly thought it was. We showed both options — license and subscription — side by side for all that time, both on the website and in the apps during setup, and it was a disaster. It feels super busy now, and new releases can always be a bit crazy, but the thing is, with even less going on in the way of major updates during that time period, the number of messages we saw then make the dual Windows/Mac version 7 releases this past month seem quiet. We spent the better part of that year just trying to get back to everyone, and after making adjustments to the presentation in the apps and site — pricing, feature comparison, FAQs (plural) — it wasn't until we finally decided that since 1Password.com memberships are the best option for most people, the apps and website should focus on that. Now, pretty much anyone who prefers a license will dispute that, but the facts aren't in dispute: overwhelmingly, the messages we received from people were along the lines of "I purchased a license, but 1Password won't work on all of my devices. What gives?" Thousands. So since we were giving those people credits and helping people move to 1Password.com memberships anyway, it made a lot of sense to save ourselves and our customers a lot of extra work. So, today, the pricing page on 1Password.com reflects pricing for 1Password.com. New users get the option that's best for most people by default, and anyone already using 1Password with a standalone license and local vaults who wants to continue to do so can find all of the details in our announcements for these releases that go over what's new, and upgrade from right within the app:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

1Password 7 for Windows: The Best Ever

I don't think that's trying to hide anything. All of this is on our very public website. We have also had a similar problem in the past with folks trying to figure out upgrade pricing, so we've simplified things by offering a launch special to everyone. I'm sorry if this resulted in some confusion and frustration for you, but we don't have plans to go back to the bad old days of creating unnecessary confusion and frustration for thousands more people. I hope this helps clarify things. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

• @brenty, thanks for your response. Directing me to a blog post from May 22 only helps to make my point ;)

On a separate note, is there any difference in core functionality between the subscription and the standalone license? If there's a webpage addressing that or another thread I'm happy to go there.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@jael

This page may be what you’re looking for:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Sharing, Documents, Related Items, 2SV/2FA, Travel Mode, and 1st party sync require membership based vaults which require a subscription. I’m not aware of a more comprehensive list. Everything (including standalone vaults, if desired) is included with a subscription.

I hope that helps!

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file