1P7 and Dropbox path requirements?

Options
aal
aal
Community Member

After upgrading to 1P7 via the MAS, one of my Macs can't setup Dropbox sync to the 1Password.opvault file and shows a message:
"This does not appear to be the Dropbox folder. Please choose the folder with the name "Dropbox".

The full path shown in the 1Password window where the error is displayed is:
/Volumes/Macintosh HD 2/Linked//Dropbox/1Password/1Password.opvault

The Dropbox (v49.4.69) folder location on this Mac (10.12.6) is not in the standard (~/Dropbox/) location. It is a symlink (Dropbox@ -> /Volumes/Macintosh HD 2/Linked//Dropbox) to another internal drive. This is an iMac with a relatively small SSD, so I've used this technique for a long time to store large folders on the much larger internal SATA drive.

Does 1P7 require the the Dropbox folder location must be ~/Dropbox (i.e. /Users//Dropbox)? And is Dropbox refusing to follow the symlink?

Thanks,

Aaron

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• aal
    aal
    Community Member
    Options

Update: the editor removed the username portion of the path in the original post. It should be:
    /Volumes/Macintosh HD 2/Linked/username/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.opvault

And symlink should be:
    symlink (Dropbox@ -> /Volumes/Macintosh HD 2/Linked/username/Dropbox)

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hmm. Sandboxing means that only a few very narrow locations are supported. 1Password can access ~/Dropbox/1Password/* and ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password. You may be able to get it working with other locations by selecting the file explicitly, but I don't believe that will work with symbolic links because you've only granted it access to the path of the link, not the actual path to the files. Try actually selecting the vault on the other drive instead of using the link. While not supported, I think that may work. Otherwise you may need to relocate the vault to a supported location. 1Password may not recognize it as syncing with Dropbox at that point, since you're using an unsupported Dropbox folder location, but it's just doing folder sync anyway, so that's no problem.

• aal
    aal
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response. I just tried setting sync directly to the 1Password.opvault file in the actual location /Volumes/Macintosh HD 2/Linked/... but 1Password still doesn't allow that path. Is Sandboxing more stringent for 1P7 vs. 1P6 (I'm wondering why this wasn't an issue in 1P6 MAS)? What about MAS vs. non-MAS 1P7, do you think this other Dropbox path would work if I installed the 1P7 version from the website? Thanks!

• Jacob
    Options

@aal What happens when you try using that path? Does 1Password give an error?

• aal
    aal
    Community Member
    Options

On the Pref > Sync tab for the Primary vault, when I choose the /Volumes/Macintosh HD 2/.../Dropbox/1Password/1Password.opvault file, or the folder containing it, 1Password 7 displays the message "This does not appear to be the Dropbox folder. Please choose the folder with the name "Dropbox". The "Continue" button is greyed out. In 1P6, this .opvault file was able to chosen as sync file. Thanks.

• rudy
    Options

@aal,

Are you running 7.0.1 or 7.0.2 at this point? There was an issue in 7.0 that was addressed in the subsequent versions.

Rudy

• aal
    aal
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running the 1P 7.0.1. So far, 7.0.2 is not available through MAS for me. Thanks.

• rudy
    Options

@aal,

One option to check 7.0.2 now would be to download the version from our website. Both versions are sandboxed and both versions share the same data folder so there isn't any transition needed to switch between the two versions.

Rudy

• aal
    aal
    Community Member
    Options

I installed non-MAS 7.0.2 and get the same result - trying to choose for Dropbox sync the 1Password.opvault that is located in a non-default location (not ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.opvault) is not permitted; 1Password shows the message: "This does not appear to be the Dropbox folder. Please choose the folder with the name "Dropbox".

Is Sandboxing more stringent for 1P7 vs. 1P6?

Thanks.

• rudy
    Options

@aal,

If you move the 1Password folder to ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password then it should work. We need to improve the dropbox specific picker so that it recognizes paths outside of the few dropbox paths we've requested exceptions for.

1Password 6 from our website was not sandboxed at all, 1Password 7 all the core components are sandboxed.

Rudy

• aal
    aal
    Community Member
    Options

Rudy,

Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. Moving the Dropbox sync data to ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault/ works fine on all computers and mobile devices, except on the iMac. On the iMac, the Dropbox folder can't be located on the small SSD, and has to be located on (the much larger) "Macintosh HD 2". ~/Dropbox is a symlink that points at /Volumes/Macintosh HD 2/Linked/username/Dropbox/.

When I try to setup vault syncing via Dropbox on the iMac, and whether I choose ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password or /Volumes/Macintosh HD 2/Linked/username/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault, 1Password still displays the error: "This does not appear to be the Dropbox folder. Please choose the folder with the name "Dropbox".

I'm currently running 1P version 7.0.4 on all of the Macs. On the iMac, it is the Agilebits website store version.

Is it the case that sandboxed versions of 1Password (7) require Dropbox sync to be in ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password, and that any symlink at that location pointing to another location will violate sandboxing? BTW, this configuration worked fine with all versions of MAS 1P through version 6, and then stopped working on version 7.

Thanks,

AAL

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi all, I too am having 1P7 not be able to recognise one of my vaults. It syncs with my main vault fine, (it was in ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password), but can't see my other vault opvault file. It was in a different folder, so I moved it into the same ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password folder, but still no dice. What else is possible here? (I have posted a separate support request on 4 June, still waiting for the queue to get to answering there.)

• warpspeed
    warpspeed
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Keen to know when this is fixed. Glad I came across this thread as it would have broken me big-time.

My 1Password files are all stored in custom folders in Dropbox. eg. /Dropbox/1P/Private/x.opvault (I have multiple private vaults) /Dropbox/1P/Shared/[shared folder name]/a.opvault (vaults shared with others).

Works perfectly with v6.

• ted_c
    ted_c
    Community Member
    Options

I'm getting this same error looking for a folder named exactly 'Dropbox'

In 1Password 7 you appear to have completely broken Dropbox based syncing for users who have both a personal and business dropbox account synced to a single machine. Because I have two accounts synced with the official app, my personal dropbox folder is named 'Dropbox (Personal)' and my company folder is 'Dropbox (Company Name)' - these names are managed by the Dropbox app, and cannot be changed by the user.

How am I supposed to sync my .opvault if 1Password won't allow me to choose the file in my Dropbox? Super disappointed at the clear second-class support for Dropbox syncing after so many flawless years as a customer, I wish you were doing better here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your patience, folks. This is pretty baffling to me, but I wonder if there's just a misunderstanding.

@jd007: Just to clarify, it appears that 1Password is asking you to select your Dropbox folder in the screenshot. Have you tried that? We're able to do that to grant 1Password access to non-standard Dropbox locations here. Please let me know if that helps.

@aal, @warpspeed, @ted_c: Are you perhaps running into the same issue? Make sure you're selecting the Dropbox folder when 1Password asks for its location, not the vault itself.

• warpspeed
    warpspeed
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I've not actually upgraded yet. I'm an old Families License customer, and I'm in decision paralysis about what to do next.

But reading what's been said in this thread, it seems as if something is happening on the Mac v7 version whereby it's restricted to only the exact Dropbox folder path, and any deviation of that is causing issues. As noted above, I store my vaults in multiple different folders. I have multiple private vaults for myself which are in my /Dropbox/1P/Private/.opvault folder (something it seems isn't supported by the subscription service), and then I have multiple vaults shared with other people in /Dropbox/1P/Shared/shared-persons-names/.opvault

By the sounds of it, if I upgrade, my Dropbox folders aren't going to work, due to a new sandboxing feature that only works with the exact standard Dropbox folder paths for the expected location of a .opvault file.

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty yes I did try choosing just the Dropbox folder itself to see if that worked, (which seemed a strange concept to me since the opvault(s) are not there, they are in a folder nested within it, but yes I tried it in case 1P was able to look in nested folders), but alas, same error message.

I have now however had the problem fixed, I emailed support (even though was told support is quicker on these forums, I have yet to receive any response to my forum post after a week), and got this suggestion:

Deleting your problem vault and importing it again:

1. Update 1Password 7 for Mac to the latest version: https://support.1password.com/update-1password/
    2. Choose Vault menu > Switch to Vault > (Vault name)
    3. Choose Vault menu > Delete Vault.
    4. Open Finder and find your (Vault name).opvault file, double click it to import your data again.

Prior to trying this I did a Time Machine back up just in case I needed to restore to previous, but this procedure worked and my vaults are now both syncing, including to my iOS devices.

@aal @warpspeed you could give this a go.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty yes I did try choosing just the Dropbox folder itself to see if that worked, (which seemed a strange concept to me since the opvault(s) are not there, they are in a folder nested within it, but yes I tried it in case 1P was able to look in nested folders), but alas, same error message.

@jd007: Thanks for confirming. That's pretty odd since the same process works here, but I think perhaps we had a bug that impacted this in an earlier release, and you'd set it up before that. I suspect that's why removing the vault and adding it again helps. I'm sorry for the trouble there, and that this was necessary though.

I have now however had the problem fixed, I emailed support (even though was told support is quicker on these forums, I have yet to receive any response to my forum post after a week),

I don't quite understand that since I did reply to you here. But certainly when posting in multiple places that can confuse things and slow down response times. We'll try to do better. :(

and got this suggestion:
    Deleting your problem vault and importing it again:
    1. Update 1Password 7 for Mac to the latest version: https://support.1password.com/update-1password/
    2. Choose Vault menu > Switch to Vault > (Vault name)
    3. Choose Vault menu > Delete Vault.
    4. Open Finder and find your (Vault name).opvault file, double click it to import your data again.
    Prior to trying this I did a Time Machine back up just in case I needed to restore to previous, but this procedure worked and my vaults are now both syncing, including to my iOS devices.

Glad to hear that did the trick for you!

@aal @warpspeed you could give this a go.

Indeed, and just to clarify, you can also backup your data in 1Password itself before making this change, as that will make it easy to restore to the previous state if that doesn't help. If you do restore from a 1Password backup though, please note that you will need to setup sync in Preferences again. Definitely let me know if that also works for you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

But reading what's been said in this thread, it seems as if something is happening on the Mac v7 version whereby it's restricted to only the exact Dropbox folder path, and any deviation of that is causing issues. As noted above, I store my vaults in multiple different folders. I have multiple private vaults for myself which are in my /Dropbox/1P/Private/.opvault folder (something it seems isn't supported by the subscription service), and then I have multiple vaults shared with other people in /Dropbox/1P/Shared/shared-persons-names/.opvault
    By the sounds of it, if I upgrade, my Dropbox folders aren't going to work, due to a new sandboxing feature that only works with the exact standard Dropbox folder paths for the expected location of a .opvault file.

@warpspeed: From your description, it doesn't sound like you're in a similar situation at all. The main issue seems to be that some folks have Dropbox setup in different places. In either case, it is possible for the user to explicitly select a different location to allow 1Password to access it. 1Password can fairly easily use a vault that's within a different folder in Dropbox if you grant it access, but it seems that there have been some edge cases with accessing a different Dropbox folder. If you do decide to upgrade, we're happy to help; and if you decide later to revert to version 6, that is also possible.

• ted_c
    ted_c
    Community Member
    Options

Completely wiping 1Password 7 (after the automatic and hidden-to-the-user migration from 6) and starting fresh solved my "Dropbox (Personal)" issue - what a terrible onboarding experience!

Dropbox as second-class sync option frustration continues: my Dropbox-synced vault is automatically ordered after 1Password-synced vaults, even if the 1Password vaults are added after the Dropbox vault. This needlessly breaks years of muscle memory for ⌘1, ⌘2, ⌘3 vault usage in the app, browser extensions, and 1Password mini. Why is the first vault added to 1Password not set as the ⌘1 vault?

• tkrombac
    tkrombac
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there. I had this same issue with a sync refusal on a 2nd Mac via Dropbox. I solved it by choosing "Sync with Folder" instead of "Sync with Dropbox". I could then select the folder (which is actually a Dropbox subfolder) and syncing started. 1Password 7 even now correctly shows the vault as syncing with Dropbox, even though I picked another value in the dropdown. Maybe this helps...

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member
    Options

@tkrombac interesting, didn't think of that. My problem is solved now but good to know that's another possibility to try.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Completely wiping 1Password 7 (after the automatic and hidden-to-the-user migration from 6) and starting fresh solved my "Dropbox (Personal)" issue - what a terrible onboarding experience!

@ted_c: I couldn't agree more. That sucks. I'm not sure why this is only happening to some people, and I'm sorry that it happened to you and caused such a headache.

Dropbox as second-class sync option frustration continues: my Dropbox-synced vault is automatically ordered after 1Password-synced vaults, even if the 1Password vaults are added after the Dropbox vault. This needlessly breaks years of muscle memory for ⌘1, ⌘2, ⌘3 vault usage in the app, browser extensions, and 1Password mini. Why is the first vault added to 1Password not set as the ⌘1 vault?

Sorry for the trouble there. Most folks aren't using both local vaults and 1Password.com, and those that are have given us feedback letting us know they'd expect to be able to access the vaults in their accounts more easily. So if we change this, we'd have even more people upset. Probably not something we're going to do. I do hope that we can make it possible for people to set shortcuts for these or order them themselves in the future though. Time will tell.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi there. I had this same issue with a sync refusal on a 2nd Mac via Dropbox. I solved it by choosing "Sync with Folder" instead of "Sync with Dropbox". I could then select the folder (which is actually a Dropbox subfolder) and syncing started. 1Password 7 even now correctly shows the vault as syncing with Dropbox, even though I picked another value in the dropdown. Maybe this helps...

@tkrombac: Thanks for letting us know! We'll investigate that aspect of it as well to see if we can figure out why user circumvention of the sandbox doesn't work in some cases.

ref: apple-1601

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jd007: Thanks for letting us know that worked for you. I'm glad to hear it! :)

• halt001
    halt001
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Aaagh, version 7 is keeping me busy for hours now. Not a nice experience. At first I thought it was due to the old vault format but after reverting back to 1Password v6 and removing the dropbox sync (on 3 devices) and recreating the dropbox sync in the new format on those devices it still doesn't seem to be good enough for v7. The only thing I have different from default is the path: /Users/Username/Dropbox/1Password/Sync/1Password.opvault. From what I read above this should already work. Are you really going to make me change the path and restore the syncing process again on 3 devices to move it to /Users/Username/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault ?

Pardon my frustration but I'm a little disappointed after first spending a lot of time finding out whether or not to switch to a subscription while still using Dropbox sync. And when I conclude that all or most of the new security advantages can't be used with Dropbox sync hence I buy the license version, I 'm finding out that Dropbox sync is not only a second class citizen but also not working at all.

Edit: I've copied 1Password.opvault to all locations mentioned, the root of the Dropbox, the Apps/1Password and the '1Password' sub folders. Nothing works. Not when selecting the Dropbox root folder nor any other folder. But I notice that when selecting a folder with the vault directly in it I get a spinning ball for a moment like it does recognise the vault but still leaves me with the disabled 'continue' button.

• halt001
    halt001
    Community Member
    Options

@tkrombac workaround works on my machine too but I'm afraid there are Dropbox related differences between folder and Dropbox sync hence I'm worried that choosing 'folder sync' on a Dropbox folder may corrupt my Dropbox vault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

workaround works on my machine too

@halt001: Thanks for confirming!

but I'm afraid there are Dropbox related differences between folder and Dropbox sync hence I'm worried that choosing 'folder sync' on a Dropbox folder may corrupt my Dropbox vault.

Nope. 1Password doesn't handle syncing the data at all in either case. It's just creating a vault in the specified location. So long as Dropbox is functioning properly on your Mac it will be fine. :)

• halt001
    halt001
    Community Member
    Options

That is good to know, thank you for letting us know (on a Sunday no less!).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@halt001: Hey, you're very welcome! I'm guessing it's probably Sunday for you too, and even if it's not, thank you for taking the time to chime in to let us know you've encountered this issue as well, and that the Folder Sync workaround tkrombac shared helped you too. :chuffed: :+1:

We're hoping to find a way for 1Password to help with this as well, but I'm glad this will do the trick for folks encountering this today. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.