1Password 7 Suggested Items almost always shows credit cards

Toshen
Toshen
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

Happens even when viewing a website that has no commerce, and even though I rarely use credit cards online. I'd rather not see credit cards in the Suggested Items list at all, but certainly not almost all the time. Thanks.

1Password Version: 70000019
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password 7 beta suggested items

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the confusion! 1Password doesn't have any way of knowing which items have commerce and which don't. But it knows that it can fill credit card and identity information into web pages, so it will display those as options below any matching logins for the website. Cheers! :)

• mlkecdr
    mlkecdr
    Community Member

I've got the same issue.. I think it is a behavioural change in 6 vs 7:

• 6 would immediately fill a webform when there was a direct/single match with a website entry
    • 7 will always show a popup with one form suggestion and my credit card(s) as options which do not make sense

It feels like an unnecessary step and gives we a bit the feel "hey, what is 1password doing ?! don't suggest my cc# for a loginname"

Can the 6 behaviour be reintroduced?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mlkecdr: I'm not seeing that at all. Can you give me the exact steps you're taking, and an example URL that you have a login saved for? I use 1Password dozens and maybe hundred of times per day, and, in my experience, pressing ⌘ \on a webpage where I have only one matching login fills it -- no popup window.

• OAW
    OAW
    Community Member

Count me in for a vote to leave the Suggested Items feature as it is! It is much more useful in 1P7 than in 1P6. Previously the "mini" would only display logins ... and then when you needed to fill in identity or credit card information you had to move and hover the cursor in order to navigate the menu structure to those items. So I would encourage anyone who has found this change to be a bit jarring to consider this. The new "Suggested Items" feature is an enhancement designed to allow quick access to any fillable information in one easy to access view .... Logins, Related Logins, Identities, and Credit Cards ... in that specific order. It's much faster and more efficient. And if you don't require a particular category on a given site then it's easily ignored. Now I'm certainly not against implementing a preference to control which categories appear in Suggested Items but I can understand how AgileBits may not be inclined to have an explosion of preferences from a codebase perspective.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback @OAW! As far I know, we'll be keeping that exact behavior when you use the "Show 1Password" shortcut (Option-Command-), though the behavior mlkecdr is seeing on Command-\ sounds like a bit of a bug.

• itp
    itp
    Community Member

Previously the "mini" would only display logins ... and then when you needed to fill in identity or credit card information you had to move and hover the cursor in order to navigate the menu structure to those items. So I would encourage anyone who has found this change to be a bit jarring to consider this

Personally, I find suggesting credit card info in every occasion a bit too intrusive: now my credit cards info seems to shout at me (pick me! buy more stuff!) every time I do a look-up for userid and password, especially when a colleague is looking over my shoulder while at work. To be honest: I'd have more peace of mind if the option to fill credit card info was tucked away in a sub-menu again

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think you're reading too much into it, but you make some interesting points. It's something we can consider. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• mlkecdr
    mlkecdr
    Community Member

@brenty To come back to my remark about 1Password7 presenting additional login as option: it happens once in a while with our on-premise JIRA deployment. It happens intermittently, I have not figured out a way to reproduce it. This JIRA instance itself presents it on a single fqdn, no aliases.

In 1Password I have one login with multiple website fields (one exact match for JIRA's url). This always me to update a single 1Password entry when my on premise password changed. Is this a supported way of doing things? (In the far past I had a 1Password entry for each internally deployed service, now just one with a handful of website URL values)

@Toshen @itp
    I "fixed" 1Password7 showing my creditcards options by toggling the display attribute to 'never display in browser' of those entries. I tend not to use autofill anyway, and just have them in 1Password for convenience and manual lookup.

• itp
    itp
    Community Member

I "fixed" 1Password7 showing my creditcards options by toggling the display attribute to 'never display in browser' of those entries. I tend not to use autofill anyway, and just have them in 1Password for convenience and manual lookup.

I'd say this fixes the problem for me: the credit cards are no longer part of the suggested items, and I still have access to the credit card info via the categories-menu should I want to ask 1P to fill a credit card form for me. Thx @mlkecdr

• Toshen
    Toshen
    Community Member

@brenty - I see the credit cards just about everywhere. Even on this page! Here, I see the login for the Agilebits forum, and below that the credit cards.
    @mlkecdr - Thank you! Didn't know about that attribute, and it fixes this issue for me. I appreciate you taking time to share the solution.
    @Henry - Interesting that you received several comments disliking this behavior and one comment liking it, and you choose to thank the one person who likes it and ignore everyone else's feedback.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Toshen

I see the credit cards just about everywhere. Even on this page!

Right. As brenty said in his initial response to your post, 1Password doesn't know what sites may have commerce on them. I'm glad to hear you were able to get things set up to your liking by using the "never display" preference. :)

• Toshen
    Toshen
    Community Member

Thanks, @Lars , but @brenty also said in his followup post, "I'm not seeing that at all. Can you give me the exact steps you're taking, and an example URL that you have a login saved for?" I was just letting him know that I saw the credit cards even on this page, and almost everywhere else (before I used the suggestion of mlkecdr to toggle the display off).

• Gotcha. Thanks for the update @Toshen. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think I don't notice this as much because I tend to use the keyboard shortcut and rarely see 1Password mini unless I explicitly bring it up. Also, Credit Cards are always below all of my Logins, Passwords, and Identities, so that can make a difference too. :)

• dbaskaran
    dbaskaran
    Community Member

I don't think so the "never display in browser" property works anymore. Everything I have in the 1Password is displayed in the "1Password mini" in both Safari and Chrome.

• dbaskaran
    dbaskaran
    Community Member

It worked in the previous version, 1Password7 has a serious bug.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dbaskaran: Can you elaborate? You've only typed a few sentences in this old thread, and I'm not quite sure we're on the same page with regard to context. For example, what OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions are you using? And could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• dbaskaran
    dbaskaran
    Community Member

@brenty macOS High Sierra, had 1Password 6 with extensions in Safari/Chrome and there were no issues with this combo. When I upgraded to 1Password 7, the display: never show in browser stopped working for the items I previously had it setup.

I tried to reset the same property for few of the items again to see if it works, but it didn't respond. Therefore I uninstalled 1Password 7 and reinstalled 1Password 6 again.

• dbaskaran
    dbaskaran
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for getting back to me on this issue!

• dbaskaran
    dbaskaran
    Community Member

@brenty to reproduce the issue again, I may have to reinstall 1Password 7 and I would try to explain the issue with screenshots over the weekend if that helps. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dbaskaran: That would be great. But it may be less work for you to just give me the specific versions (OS, 1Password, browser, and extension) you're using and the exact steps you're taking. If I can reproduce it myself, I can make all the videos and screenshots we need. :)

• dbaskaran
    dbaskaran
    Community Member

@brenty macOS High Sierra, had 1Password 6 with extensions in Safari/Chrome and there were no issues with this combo. When I upgraded to 1Password 7, the display: never show in browser stopped working for the items I previously had it setup.

I tried to reset the same property for few of the items again to see if it works, but it didn't respond. Therefore I uninstalled 1Password 7 and reinstalled 1Password 6 again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The only thing I can think of is you were using the wrong extension, but we'll never know without more details. We're here if you want to explore it further.

This discussion has been closed.