To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Password entered when setting up membership is not the one for vault?

jtucker
jtucker
Community Member

While wating for a reply to my question about costs in Purchasing, I decided to go ahead and try the membership trial. BTW, setting that up in the app put me into a loop of entering address to get the code, repeat. I finally managed to get it done via the website directly. Several of the steps were not clearly explained throughout this proces, especially in the app, but I stumbled through it.

Setting it up forced me to choose a longer master password, which I wrote down. After getting into the app again and setting it up for the 1Password.com account, it asked about copying my previous vault. I let it do that. Then I tried to install the Safari extension after "completely quitting" 1Password. It refused to install, but a restart of the Mac seemed to fix that.

However, when I then restarted 1Password, it refused the new master password I had chosen. Several times, resulting in quite a panic. Finally, I tried my original password and that worked. In the end, I guess that makes sense that the password is associated with the vault.

So, my question is: what is that new password used for? Is it now unecessary and I can forget about it, or is there some other purpose that it's used for and I'll need it sometime in the future?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Hi @jtucker

Do you still have a Primary vault in 1Password for Mac? If so that would explain it. Our default recommendation is to remove that after you’ve migrated your data. Doing so will make it so 1Password unlocks with your 1Password account password.

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jtucker
    jtucker
    Community Member

Interesting. Thanks, I do still have the primary that was synced via Dropbox; I'll delete it if I decide the membership is the right way forward. I did notice I need the new master password to login on 1Password.com.

Does that mean entering a valid password for any of the vaults will unlock all of them? That certainly is what happened in this specific case.

• The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.