Why does 1Password 7 not log me in automatically

jjkotarski
jjkotarski
Community Member

I purchased 1Password 7 license as an upgrade today. in 1password 6, when I logged into a website in Chrome -- for example, Google -- 1Password would automatically click the "login" button after entering my username and password. Now I have to click "login" manually. I recall this being a setting in 1Password 6, but it's been so long since it didn't work I don't remember how to enable that functionality. Sorry if this was answered somewhere else. I've been trying to find an answer to that question all day. Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:auto login

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jjkotarski,

Can you try something for me please. In 1Password's preferences, in the Browsers tab there is an option titled Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords. Can you toggle the setting for me please. I believe you will be prompted to save a file. Our Mac App Store users are more accustomed to this but it's new to our AgileBits Store users. 1Password 7 is the first version of 1Password direct from us that is also sandboxed like the Mac App Store version and so something we used to do before is no longer possible here. The small script 1Password is prompting to allow saved will allow the submit feature to work again.

If that doesn't happen or if something appears wonky at all please do let us know.

• jjkotarski
    jjkotarski
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

I can't believe I missed that setting! So I toggled the checkbox, then I tried to login. No change. I went back to the setting and the checkbox was unchecked. I checked it again and was prompted to save the script. I saved it in the default location. But so far there is no change in the action when I try and login.

• iay
    iay
    Community Member

I'm running into this problem, or a related one, as well. I found the option in question, ticked it, and was prompted for access to a directory. OKed that, and now when I fill a username/password (e.g., on this site) it fills the fields on the page but opens a new copy of the page with unfilled fields as well. So, I've had to disable the feature.

macOS 10.13.4, Safari 11.1

• jjkotarski
    jjkotarski
    Community Member

OK, after the script was installed and I restarted my computer everything is working like it did in 1Password 6. Thank you for the assistance!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @jjkotarski,

I apologise that I'm only just getting back to you. It sounded like you had more faffing around to do than I would have hoped for but at least the end result was a success. Thank you for your persistence and for thinking to throw in the restart. It shouldn't have been needed but you can't argue with success.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@iay,

Are you possibly running into the issue described in our post Open-and-Fill with Safari 11.1 ?

• iay
    iay
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

@littlebobbytables I did come across that other post, and it seems like it is probably a related issue but not an identical one as the workround (of selecting something other than the address bar as focus before filling) doesn't fix the problem.

The effect occurs no matter where focus is when I press Command+\

The username and password fields are filled, but then a new tab is opened. The original tab is still there, and the fields there have been filled. They are clear in the new tab.

I have tried disabling all extensions other than the 1Password extension (4.7.1), with no effect.

In Chrome, the page isn't submitted even if I have the option selected.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

@iay: How would you feel about creating a screen recording of what is happening and sending it into us via email? We could use our public support forums but I'd rather we had a degree of privacy given I'm asking you to show us what happens as you're using 1Password to log into a site. If you're up for it then Apple's support page, QuickTime Player 10.x: Record your computer’s screen can show you how to create a screen recording (it's really quite a nice feature) and the email address to use is support+extension@1password.com.

• iay
    iay
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables Sure, I'm up for that but it will be next Tuesday at the earliest as I have some stuff on for the next few days. Cheers.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iay,

Of course, I fully understand it's about finding an acceptable time within your schedule. I'm simply happy to learn you are willing to try that for me in the hopes that we can identify the cause. Thank you and we'll wait to hear you :smile:

• dixie44
    dixie44
    Community Member

I upgraded to Mac OS Mojave the other day and I'm running 1Password 7. I can't find a way to automatically login after 1Password fills my user name and password. I find no option for "Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords" Preferences> Browsers as before. Has this feature been dropped?

• DHK
    DHK
    Community Member

I'm running 1P 7.1.2 (70102000) on High Sierra and the browser preference panel has the checkbox for automatically signing in. I just upgraded another machine to Mojave and find that my 1P 7.2.1 (70201002) does NOT have that checkbox.

• iay
    iay
    Community Member

From the v7.2 release notes:

Autosubmit, which has become quite fragile due to some modern security improvements in macOS, has been retired.

So, gone, I guess.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dixie44 - you're not going crazy, that's the new behavior. Apple have decided to remove the ability to simulate the press of the Return or Enter key with a script -- which is how we were accomplishing auto-submit in previous versions of 1Password. Their reasoning is that although many apps (like us!) use it quite legitimately, simulating a return key-press is also how some of the worst malware installs itself. We actually agree with Apple on this one; simulating the press of an execution key like Enter or Return should be a user-driven action, not something that a clever or sneaky bit of code can do without your consent (or even knowledge).

So, well-spotted, @DHK - since the functionality was removed by Apple, we removed the checkbox for it as well. Apologies for the inconvenience -- it's one more key-press than previous versions, so it should be relatively easy to adjust to.

• DHK
    DHK
    Community Member

Actually @iay pointed me to it... I miss the function but certainly understand what you have to go through with 🍎 !

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DHK - we're sorry to have to remove a piece of beloved functionality from people's 1Password for Mac setups, but on balance we agree with the decision. The internet is a more dangerous place for your data than it was even a dozen years ago when we started out, and using script files to simulate user actions just isn't a good idea any longer. Sorry for the inconvenience, however! :)

• Atlantarandy
    Atlantarandy
    Community Member

I'm having this same issue as the original post but in my preferences under the Browsers tab there isn't an option called "Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords". Only 2 options under that tab, Always keep the helper running and Detect new usernames... Everything seems to be running the latest versions. 1Password7 is on version 7.2.1 from the Mac App Store.

Also, in Safari, it's not filling any passwords at all. I click the icon and the screen blinks but nothing happens. What am I missing?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@Atlantarandy - to be clear, auto-submit has been removed, and won't be returning. There is no box you can check, no preference you can set if you're using 1Password 7 for Mac version 7.2 or higher, that will re-enable it.

Auto-fill is a different matter; that should definitely still be working, so if you're not getting it to work, there may be a couple of reasons:

1. Either 1Password for Mac or the browser you're using is not in your main /Applications folder. Because we're a fully sandboxed app as of version 7, both apps (browser and 1Password must be in /Applications and nowhere else).
    2. You have not enabled the 1Password 7 for Mac extension in Safari Preferences > Extensions
    3. 1Password 7 for Mac is not paid for. Version 7 is a completely new version of 1Password, and thus requires either a new 1Password standalone license, or a 1password.com subscription (account). If you downloaded from the Mac App Store, you didn't get a standalone license, so do you have a 1password.com membership? If you do, sign into your account in the app, and that should fix the issue. If you don't have (and don't want) a 1Password membership/account, then you'll need to delete the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac, download a copy from our downloads page instead, and install it. Then you'll get the option to purchase a standalone license from our FastSpring store for $49.99. Make sure you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) first, then delete the Mac App Store version by dragging it to the trash. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash, restart your Mac, then install "our" version.
  • BluesBrother1980
    BluesBrother1980
    Community Member

Yes, I noticed this, too, when I installed 1Password for Mac, v7. When I couldn't find a "switch" for this behavior anywhere, I suspected that it had been removed, and this thread confirms it. A minor annoyance, but hey, we'll get over it...

• Hi @BluesBrother1980,

Thanks for understanding. Apple removed it to protect customers from a certain form of attack, and when it comes to protecting our customers, we're on board!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @M0bi0us0ne! Welcome to the forum ;)
    Thank you very much for sharing this article! I believe a lot of people will find it very helpful.

Have a wonderful day! :)

This discussion has been closed.