Problem setting up new computer

henryturkel
henryturkel
Community Member

My wife and I have a family membership with her as the family member. I am having trouble setting up 1Password on my wife's computer for her.
When I first started to set up her computer we were sharing an Apple ID and PW and I had downloaded 1Password 7 in that configuration.
We later decided to change so that we each have our own Apple ID and PW so those changes were made.
Now when I try to open 1Password on her machine it requires my master password to open it.
I have tried to remove 1Password from the machine to reload it (now that she has her own Apple ID and PW, i.e. it's her machine, not shared) but it won't let me send the program to trash, telling me it's "open" even after I click "quit" from the drop down menu in the 1Password toolbar.
It should also be noted that the 1Password icon never appears in the dock even when I do open it to log in by clicking on it in "applications" even if I log in using my master password.
Something seems wrong here.
I try to send it to trash as I could not find an option to "uninstall".
I've tried rebooting the computer but no change.
Can you advise?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: not installed yet
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud but only for photos, contacts + find my Mac

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@henryturkel: That's really weird, as rebooting should have done the trick. Try this: open Activity Monitor, go to the CPU tab, search for 1Password (upper right), select 1Password in the list below, and then click the "force process to quit" button in the upper right ( X inside an octagon like a stop sign, NOT the x to close the window). With 1Password killed, you should be able to drag it to the Trash successfully. Please restart the Mac after that, and download the latest version from our website:

https://1password.com/downloads/

Let me know how it goes!

• henryturkel
    henryturkel
    Community Member

Thanks for the response. Since I wrote the question (5/23) I was able to solve the problem. Now I don't remember for sure what I did! But it may have been rebooting by shutting down rather than restarting and/or also verifying that I had closed the program by quitting via the drop down menu in the 1Passwork toolbar. Previously I may have been just closing out the 1Password window and thinking I had quit the app. I usually use the dock and the little dot under a application's icon to see if the window is closed but the application still open or if the application is quit. Without the icon in the dock I may have been assuming the app was quit when I closed the window. In any case working great now.

Another question: Is there a 1Password upgrade to version 7 (or comparably updated but differently named version) for iOS yet?

• @henryturkel

Thanks for the update. As for 1Password for iOS... that was the first product to be upgraded to v7. Are you sure you aren’t already running v7? :)

Ben

• henryturkel
    henryturkel
    Community Member

I'm not sure. I can't find how to know the version I'm running. But I do have automatic updates set to "on" for the the App Store. So I am probably up to date.

• In 1Password > Settings, at the very bottom, it’ll list the version number. Unless you’re running an older version of iOS I suspect you are correct and are already on v7.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.