Windows 10 April 2018 update (1803), Edge as default browser shows 1Password splash window

Options
MikeT
edited August 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

August 1, 2018: Check for an update in Microsoft Store, 1Password 7.2.575 extension update for Edge may address this issue.

Hey folks,

We've been able to confirm that starting with the Windows 10 April 2018 update, if you have Microsoft Edge as the default browser and 1Password extension is installed for it, 1Password extension can prompt the welcome screen as if it is not installed after every reboot. This isn't normal and we do check to make sure 1Password is installed and running before we show this prompt. For now, you can safely ignore this. We're working on finding a long-term solution.

We're not sure why this started with Windows 1803 update; the same extension works just fine on any Windows versions prior to the 1803 update. We've added extra workarounds, which worked for a week until another Windows update came to undo our fix.

What we can see is that starting with 1803, if Edge is the default browser, Windows seems to be starting Edge first as a suspended process before most processes (like 1Password) starts. This doesn't happen if Edge wasn't the default browser. Even strange is that suspended processes shouldn't be running any code but 1Password extension did run some code as you'd see this window from 1Password extension often:

We're trying to get in touch with Microsoft about this issue and hopefully get this fixed soon.

Also, we've been able to confirm with a few other customers that unrelated Windows 10 crashes such as Settings app crashing were magically fixed when they've deselected Edge as the default browser, which leads us to believe this is more of a Windows issue.

In addition, if you're running Insider Builds, the extension will crash at every start of Edge. This is not limited to 1Password and you can upvote the issue(s) at Microsoft's Feedback: https://aka.ms/AA1m361 and https://aka.ms/AA1p3ac.

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

The current workaround is to de-select Edge as the default browser or disable 1Password extension in Edge.

• Benno118
    Benno118
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the workaround. Still hoping that you / MS find a solution as I prefer to work with Edge.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Benno118: You are very welcome! :+1: :chuffed: Hopefully, we will have more news soon.

++
    Greg

• Didiko
    Didiko
    Community Member
    Options

Yes please keep us posted!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• MikeT
    Options

Hey folks,

We think we have a workaround that could help with this. We've released 1Password 7.1 for Windows today and shipped an update at the Microsoft Store for the 1Password for Edge extension (7.1.565).

There is one potential issue, it may be destabilize on the Windows 10 Insider Builds but we're investigating it.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using the Windows 10 release build, with all updates installed, and this fixed the problem for me. Thanks so much, folks!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @LarryMcJ,

That's awesome to hear. Hopefully, we'll figure out what's going on with the Insider builds before it ships this fall.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

If anyone can...it's the AgileBits team!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Couldn't do it without your support. Thanks for being awesome! :chuffed:

• carlmwright
    carlmwright
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I've just restarted my PC for the first time after installing 7.1.567 and I'm still getting this error.

Is there any info I can send you?

Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0

C

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @carlmwright,

What Windows 10 version are you using? This is only fixed on Windows 10 stable 1803 (April 2018).

Just to make sure we're on the same page, you're talking about the splash screen that shows up saying 1Password isn't installed? If you're talking about a different error, it's not related to the fix we have.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

Unfortunately, Microsoft has released a new update to Windows 10 April 2018 update today that basically undid our fixes. We'll keep hunting for a different fix.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:cry: :+1:

• carlmwright
    carlmwright
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Yes, I installed KB4100403 yesterday, I assume that is the one that broke it all again :'(

Carl

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

I’m on auto-update and it’s broken again for me.

• MikeT
    Options

😢 Yep, just when we've really thought we have it fixed, Microsoft comes in with another Windows update to prove us wrong. We're looking into it as we speak.

We have a long term solution that we think will make 1Password more reliable in Edge but it will be a while before we have it done.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Thanks for continuing to improve the 1Password-Edge experience. It’s not the best browser available, but its speed and tight integration into Windows 10 make it a compelling choice for many of us.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I do like Edge as well...but man, it's hard sometimes. Thanks for the encouragement! :lol:

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

brenty, you have many years to go before reaching this point...but there comes a time when simple and efficient overtake complex and awesome :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hmm... No, I think I'm just about there. Maybe I just started early. :wink:

• toddphi
    toddphi
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using Edge with Windows 10 (latest version as of June 15th 2018). 1Password version 7.1.567. Every time I login to Windows I get a pop up screen from 1Password prompting me to update or visit the support site. I've updated 3 times now and I'm sure I have the latest version, but the prompt won't stop. How can I fix this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@toddphi: Sorry for the confusion. As Mike mentioned above, deselecting Edge as the default browser will prevent Edge from opening on startup, launching the 1Password extension, and then showing this because the 1Password app is not running yet and cannot connect.

• cvvorous
    cvvorous
    Community Member
    Options

When setting Edge as your default browser, it seems like Windows preloads it on boot. That would explain why deselecting it as default would eliminate the 1password message on startup - it's likely starting Edge before 1password is loaded.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @cvvorous,

Thanks and we did mentioned that behavior in the announcement post at the top here:

What we can see is that when Edge is the default browser on 1803, Windows seems to be launching it at every launch as suspended processes. Normally, suspended processes shouldn't run any code but 1Password extension did launch as you'd see this window from 1Password extension often:

We're trying to figure out how to make the extension more "flexible" and wait before it does anything. We did have a workaround like this in an earlier update but it stopped working in a later Windows update.

• cvvorous
    cvvorous
    Community Member
    Options

oh, duh - I somehow missed that part of the announcement. should have waited until I had my coffee.

• MikeT
    Options

Mmmmm, ☕. Sounds like a great idea, thanks!

• DearRoboto
    DearRoboto
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure I will be notified by only bookmarking this article, so just leaving a comment to make sure I get news about it.
    +1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It depends on your notification preferences:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/preferences/

But if you have it set to notify you of new comments in discussions you've participated in this will work too. Cheers! :)

• WinPass
    WinPass
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this yet? hopefully a fix?

This discussion has been closed.