Adding a licence to 1Pw7 on Windows

einsteinbqat
einsteinbqat
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

How do you add the licence to 1Pw7 on Windows? No matter how many I drag and drop it on the window app or try to open the file with the app, the licence does not add itself. The Mac licence is in the app, no problem there. I believe that it added itself when I bought it back in March when the beta started. However, I bought a Windows licence today, but the app did not add it automatically. So

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @einsteinbqat,

Thanks for writing in. There is no general drag and drop support in the Windows app but we do plan to implement that kind of support in the future.

When you said you’ve tried to open the file with the app, what do you mean by that? Did you go to 1Password menu > License to add that file? You should see the option in the License window to add that license file you downloaded from FastSpring or the email you got after purchasing the license.

Double-clicking on .onepassword7-license-win file can also work but there is no feedback from 1Password if you do that. This is coming in the next update soon.

• einsteinbqat
    einsteinbqat
    Community Member

Both, doubled clicked, and right clicked + selected open. Waited for a feedback, and nothing happened. Dragged and dropped the file, nothing happened. By happened, I mean that I expected to see a "1Password 7" software licence or an entry to be automatically created like the Mac version would do.

• einsteinbqat
    einsteinbqat
    Community Member

The licence entry for the Mac version get all the details automatically created : customer, publisher, order, even the licence file is attached. I expected something similar for the Windows version. And well, you know the rest.

• Hi @einsteinbqat,

I might be misunderstanding your original post. I’ll clarify two different situations here:

1. 1Password on Windows does not have this feature to automatically create a Software License item for the license that you add to it. That’s coming in the future but it is not implemented right now, this is exclusive to the macOS version only.
    2. Can you confirm if 1Password 7 for Windows is in fact registered with your license? You should know for sure in 1Password menu > License.
  • einsteinbqat
    einsteinbqat
    Community Member

Yes, it's registered.

• Ok, great, that’s the first thing I want to make sure it is working.

While this isn’t meant to be an excuse but to explain the feature parity mismatch, 1Password 7 for Windows is still a very young app compared to 1Password 7 for macOS, the first actual release of this Windows codebase was 1Password 6 back in Oct, 2016. 1Password 7 will be the first stable release with support for standalone vaults and licensing but we still have a lot of catching up to do to match the feature parity with the macOS version of 1Password. We are closing the gap every month, though.

Note that we’re not reusing any code between 1Password apps on any platforms, every app is natively coded for the platform it runs on.

This discussion has been closed.