MAS or Website download?

Sheza
Sheza
Community Member

Hi there,

So, upgrading to the new version. Should I download it from the website, or get the MAS version? Would the MAS version get delayed updates? Is there a benefit to one over the other?

Another question - what's the point of vaults? I understand if you have multiple accounts for some sites you might want to separate them into different vaults depending on, say, if you have your 'user' hat on or you 'employee' hat on. But I see 1Password has such a huge focus on adding multiple vaults. Why? When you can organise a single vault with tags etc? I think I need a primer on how to use vaults.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Sheza,

If you have a 1Password account then you're free to pick whichever version of 1Password 7 you want. We update the Mac App Store version at the same time we update our site and the versions are almost identical with the one small exception of licences. Some users still prefer a one-off purchase of a licence with standalone vaults. That will require the 1Password direct from our site as we decided that paid updates in the Mac App Store were too painful on the user.

You're not under any obligation to use multiple vaults if you don't feel the need and are happy with tags. The primary benefit of secondary vaults is sharing but for the the pull was to act as this logical divide between work and personal. That way I could have my personal vault active and not be swamped with items from work which often are client specific. In the work vault I use tags to help separate out client items. If you can do everything in a single vault and you're happy with the arrangement though it's hard to make a case for making it more complex if there isn't a benefit.

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member

Hi, thank you for your reply. Makes sense.

However I have just updated and I have to say... what on earth have you done to the mini/browser extensions. Why is it stuck to the middle of my screen? It used to be that I could click the browser icon and it would appear right next to my cursor and I can easily select the login I want to use. Now I have to drag all the way to the middle of my 27" screen to click on an item?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018

@Sheza

Why is it stuck to the middle of my screen? It used to be that I could click the browser icon and it would appear right next to my cursor and I can easily select the login I want to use.

Heh. Sorry for the suddenness of the change. As of 1Password 7 for Mac, ⌘\ (Command‑Backslash (\)) is a global shortcut. We did this because 1Password will now also work when you have other apps open (instead of just your browser). Try it: open iTunes, log out of your account if you're logged in, then click to log back in. Type ⌘\. Neat, huh! :-) If you use the same ⌘\ shortcut in other apps, you’ll need to either change the keyboard shortcut for “Fill Login or Show 1Password” in 1Password > Preferences > General, or change the keyboard shortcut in your other app to something other than ⌘\.

Now I have to drag all the way to the middle of my 27" screen to click on an item?

Not quite. The new mini is indeed "disembodied" from the browser...but it will stay where you put it. If you prefer having it up near the top of the browser's menubar, you can drag it there, and it should (re) appear in that same location each time you call it up, which mimics the previous behavior.

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

If you prefer having it up near the top of the browser's menubar, you can drag it there, and it should (re) appear in that same location each time you call it up, which mimics the previous behavior.

I did try to do this, but dragging didn't work. I tried it again now and figured it out... there's a thin slither at the top and bottom of the search box that is draggable. That wasn't intuitive.

The issue with this is that if the Safari window is moved or resized at all, it becomes out of place. If this is necessary to allow the new app-like functionality of 1Password Mini then I suppose it's a trade-off I can live with. I really liked the 'menu bar' feel of the old one, but it was lacking in some features or felt a bit stripped down. It's a shame to lose button-tracking but I guess I understand it.

However - I wish there was a way to disable macOS theme matching. I might like my menu bars to be dark, but 1Password Mini will pop up on the very white Safari bar / background of most websites, so it looks really out of place being all dark grey. I was surprised that there was not an option to turn this off (this is the moment where you tell me that it is, in fact, an option, but it's hidden somewhere the average customer can't find it)

• @Sheza Glad to hear you found the part to drag. It is a smaller version of the main 1Password app, so dragging it around is a sort of hidden feature for folks who like to do that. Otherwise it'll be centered, which I personally prefer – I use Magnet to keep my apps right in front of me.

However - I wish there was a way to disable macOS theme matching. I might like my menu bars to be dark, but 1Password Mini will pop up on the very white Safari bar / background of most websites, so it looks really out of place being all dark grey. I was surprised that there was not an option to turn this off (this is the moment where you tell me that it is, in fact, an option, but it's hidden somewhere the average customer can't find it)

We'll keep that in mind going forward. :)

This discussion has been closed.