Cmd + Shift + C does not copy password of server anymore

Options
tompson
tompson
Community Member

In 1Password 7 Cmd + Shift + C does not copy password of server anymore - instead it copies "the second field" of the server entry (which in my case is either URL or username

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AMcAllister
    AMcAllister
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar issue with using ⌘⇧C not working as it did in 1Password 6. If I open the 1Password Assistant and search for a login item, sometimes using this old shortcut will work, but most of the time it will not. I haven't been able to consistently figure out when this happens, but it most often fails for things that don't have a webpage or username associated with them. (Things like server passwords or SSH Keys).

This really slows down my workflow as I have to use the mouse to copy and paste the password I need.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AMcAllister: It sounds like you're just expecting it to know what you're trying to copy, but it's static. Can you give a concrete example?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tompson: Thanks for getting in touch! Copying the second field is intentional, since that allows this to work with a wider variety of items and custom fields. But I can see how that would be undesirable in this case. I'll bring it up with the team.

ref: apple-1430

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member
    Options

From 1Password's documentation:

Shift‑Command‑C - Copy the password of the selected item.
    Control‑Command‑C - Copy the username of the selected item.
    Shift‑Control‑Command‑C - `Copy the one-time password of the selected item.

So Shift‑Command‑C should indeed copy the password, currently (for me) if I have a login with only a password (no username) and press Shift‑Command‑C all I get is an error beep.

• Jacob
    Options

@TonyHall We've seen a few reports of that and are trying to track down why it's happening. Could you try using the shortcut in safe mode to see if that makes a difference?

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob Wow - 1P's unlock screen is 'trippy' under Safe Boot!

While in Safe Boot pressing Shift-Cmd-C (with a login containing only a password) results in...nothing. No error beep and nothing is copied to the clipboard (this is with the main app and midi). Clicking the password's 'copy' button does indeed copy the password.

Back in normal boot the original problem still occurs, the password isn't copied but I do get an error beep.

• Jacob
    Options

@TonyHall Interesting. Do you still have 1Password 6 installed by chance? Or any other copy of 1Password?

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob No. I deleted the 1P6 app when I started using 1P7 betas.

• tompson
    tompson
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob to me it looks like the Shortcut hast changed from "Copy the password of the selected item." to "Copy the second entry of the selected item."

It still works for items that only hold two fields (e.g. username and password) where password is the second field. It does not work if I have an entry containing URL, username and password where password is the third field

• djspiewak
    djspiewak
    Community Member
    Options

Can confirm as well that Cmd-Shift-C doesn't work at all the way it used to, either in Mini or in the main application. https://i.imgur.com/SHNpg3l.png Note the lack of a keyboard shortcut. Hitting Cmd-Shift-C doesn't appear to copy anything.

I only discovered this after accidentally locking up my YubiKey due to muscle memory on the pin copy/paste process. :-/

• rejj
    rejj
    Community Member
    Options

This has also changed the behaviour of "Password" entries within the vault, which are just a single field (unlike "Login", which have a username and password).

After upgrading to v7, I can no longer cmd-shift-c to copy these passwords. Worked just fine in v6.

Needing to remember to change the keyboard shortcut to use every time I open Mini (by first having to look at how many fields there are in the item after searching) is a UX backwards step, I'm afraid. :( :-1:

• scato
    scato
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, just downloaded 1Password 6 from https://1password.com/downloads/ (choose "Using OS X El Capitan or earlier?")

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rejj, @tompson: Yes. I mentioned that above. We're looking into it. Thanks for your patience. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@djspiewak: If you look in the Edit menu, you'll see that holding the Shift modifier shows that menu option. I'm not sure I understand how YubiKey would be involved. Can you elaborate?

• jannik
    jannik
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Mini is almost useless due to this bug...

Either https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/ is out of date or there is a bug in the application.

ALSO: Password generator used to be usable in 1Password Mini which now seems impossible.

Please resolve this! Very productive feature!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. :)

• sjcjonker
    sjcjonker
    Community Member
    Options

Raised in Beta already, but due to app refactoring it was no longer supported. PLEASE bring it back.
    Shift-CMD-C should "just" copy the first password field (field of type password) in the entry, not just the second entry.
    :'(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sjcjonker: It's one option we can consider, but that breaks quick copy for a lot of other non-password stuff.

• sjcjonker
    sjcjonker
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, despite not being able to check out the sourcecode of 1p6 :p that seems to be how 1p6 (and earlier) worked. Shift-cmd-c copied a password, which always seemed to be the first for that entry.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Right. The point is that it's nice to be able to quickly copy things other than only the password field. That's been a popular request. I don't think any items but "Password" items have a password field as the first one. Certainly there are some edge cases with the new approach, but we'll see if we can figure out a good solution that helps both use cases.

• AMcAllister
    AMcAllister
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty It looks like the issue I was getting at has been hammered out by other commenters. As @regg pointed out, it seems to be an issue for "Password" entries, which are just a password but no username. The shortcut seems to work fine if I add a username to my password entries, and on my normal login items.

And just to make sure we're on the same page.

I want to:
    1. Bring up 1password mini
    2. Find the login item I'm looking for (usually through typing)
    3. Hit ⌘⇧C to get the password of that item

• djspiewak
    djspiewak
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty YubiKey got involved because I was GPG signing some things and I needed to enter the PIN. I do this quite often and so muscle-memory dictates the following workflow:

1. Initiate signing
    2. Get MacGPG Agent prompt
    3. Alfred-switch over 1password (and unlock if need be)
    4. Search "yubi pin"
    5. Cmd-Shift-C
    6. Cmd-Tab
    7. Cmd-V
    8. Return

If this doesn't work, I just blindly do it a second time, since usually what happens to make it fail is I accidentally select the wrong PIN (since there's also an admin pin on the device) or I switch too fast and don't get the password copy completed. Unfortunately, in this particular case, I had already failed a signing a minute earlier and didn't realize it, so then the second and third failures just locked the smartcard. Not really 1Password's fault per se, but an example of how muscle memory got messed up by this change.

I don't think any items but "Password" items have a password field as the first one.

As a datapoint, I exclusively use Cmd-Shift-C with "Password" items. Seriously. Logins are always going to be handled via browser auto-fill (aside from some really niche cases). So in other words, this change removes the only useful application of the functionality (for me).

• rejozenger
    rejozenger
    Community Member
    Options

I have same issue as @sjcjonker: I am used to use a single keyboard shortcut to copy a password and this became broken with 1P7. I see the same behaviour as mentioned in this thread. Instead of a single shortcut to copy the first password (which as the behaviour in 1P6), now I need to verify the how-many-th item the password is then adjust the shortcut accordingly. So, blindly using a single shortcut to copy the password does no longer work. I am using that functionality of that previous behaviour often as I have many passwords to enter outside of browser such as entering the passwords for ssh keys and shell logins in terminals etc. Please revert to previous behaviour.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@djspiewak: Ah, thanks for clarifying. It does help to understand the context. Indeed, that's not good at all.

I think you and @rejozenger said it best: you were pushing the keyboard shortcut and trusting it. I'm sorry we let you down. We're discussing the best way to proceed to make this usable for you and others again while still making it possible to copy other things quickly.

ref: apple-1429

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AMcAllister: You shouldn't have to add usernames to password items. In fact, those are really only intended to be used by 1Password to save generated passwords that are used so there's a safety net if a login is not saved. it can get pretty cluttered in there as a result. I'm not sure what we'll end up doing, but we'll find a solution for you.

• allcentury2
    allcentury2
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see a way to +1 this thread but this is an unwanted change. My workaround right now is to hit right arrow then enter but would prefer cmd + shift + c to work as it did in v6.

• RafBM
    RafBM
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry if I’m not bringing anything new to the table, but I can’t see any dilemma on how to fix this @brenty. Quoting you:

The point is that it's nice to be able to quickly copy things other than only the password field. That's been a popular request.

I don’t get that part. Is ⌘⇧C supposed to let you copy anything other than passwords? It doesn’t for me. Say I have a Secure Note item with some simple text, ⌘⇧C doesn’t copy anything. It just beeps. Just like it beeps when hitting ⌘⇧C on a Password item with a single password-type field.

Unless I’m missing something, the current ⌘⇧C behavior is “Copy the password field of Login items and nothing else”. I don’t see any improvement brought by this 1P7 change. It’s a plain regression.

• michbsd
    michbsd
    Community Member
    Options

Same here.. considering downgrading to v6. This is really annoying, and it's reducing my productivity because I constantly have to grab the mouse to select the password, whereas the keyboard was enough for me in the past.
    Dear 1password team - please bring back this critical UX feature asap!

• EKA
    EKA
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this issue. Previously I was able to copy a password for a Password item in three moves: (1) Click 1Password Mini, (2) Move mouse to drop-down selection in one motion, (3) ⌘⇧C. Or, three to four keystrokes + ⌘⇧C ... no mouse.

Now, if I am using the new Mini app correctly: (1) Click 1Password Mini, (2) Type three to five letters (that's the kicker - I typo a lot), (3) Move mouse to the password (maybe scroll down too if the password I need is lower on the pane), (4) Select "copy" once I target the (small) copy button.

Maybe the muscle memory will kick in with the new version eventually, but when I'm accessing password items over twenty to thirty times a day, the fewest number of mindless moves saves valuable time. Maybe bring back the menu-drop down and ⌘⇧C as one pref option along with the floating pane?

Love the product, though - and the support is great!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@EKA: Thanks for the kind words. We're looking at tweaking the behaviour a bit, and the feedback helps. We don't want to give up the ability to copy stuff other than just passwords, but I think there's room for improvement. :)

This discussion has been closed.