Touch ID on Macbook Pro not working after upgrade to 1P7

frehder
frehder
Community Member

Hello,
I just upgraded from 1P6 to 1P7 and now I can't unlock it with Touch ID on my Macbook Pro. This little Touch ID window is not appearing.

Do I have to enable it anywhere or did you remove this feature?

Best regards,
Florian Rehder

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for the trouble. 1Password 7 also supports Touch ID, but you may have hit a snag because it uses Apple's Secure Enclave for this. If you're still having trouble, disable Touch ID in 1Password and System Preferences (remove all registered fingerprints), restart your Mac, and setup Touch ID in System Preferences and 1Password again. That should do the trick.

• frehder
    frehder
    Community Member

I just removed all registered fingerprints and restarted the Mac, then I did the setup of Touch ID again.
    I couldn't find an option in 1Password to disable Touch ID.
    Unfortunately that did not work. I still cannot unlock my Vault with Touch ID (I have only one Vault, and in other Apps and to log in to my Macbook Touch ID is working fine).
    Where can I disable Touch ID in 1Password?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

1Password 7 > Preferences > Security then un-check Allow Touch ID to unlock 1Password.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Stephen_C: Thank you!

@frehder: Please give the instructions a try again including that step if that doesn't work for you right off, and let me knowhow it goes!

• frehder
    frehder
    Community Member

There is no such option. It's the most recent 1P7 Version 7.0.1.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

That is very odd. I suggest:

• Checking you have enabled Touch ID on your MacBook; and then
    • rebooting to see if the option appears in 1Password (where it definitely exists in my copy of 7.0.1).

Stephen

• frehder
    frehder
    Community Member

Touch ID is enabled and I did the whole Touch ID Setup process again today. It is working everywhere else on this computer!
    I already rebooted 2x today and I reinstalled 1Password 7.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@frehder: Ah, that's the problem. macOS isn't telling 1Password that Touch ID is available. As far as 1Password knows your Mac does not have that feature. Did you notice anything else around the time it stopped being available?

• frehder
    frehder
    Community Member

As I said, everthing works fine with Touch ID (I can login and I can buy Apps in the App Store).
    In 1P6 it worked great, it's just since I upgraded v6 to 1P7 that it stopped working in 1P.

• rudy
    edited May 2018

@frehder,

This sounds like its possibly a scenario we've seen with 1 other user.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Rudy

• frehder
    frehder
    Community Member

Support ID: #DHA-62175-349

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@frehder: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: DHA-62175-349

• The resolution here is that you need to update to 10.12.6 in order to use Touch ID.

• frehder
    frehder
    Community Member

The update to 10.12.6 did it!
    After the update the Touch ID option appeared in Preferences->Security and it's working fine now!
    Thank you all!

• :+1:

• fyreous
    fyreous
    Community Member

I seem to be experiencing this same issue after upgrading to 1P7. Unlike the poster above, however, I do have the option to enable Touch ID in the 1Password preferences. It just... Doesn't work. The box is checked, but as soon as the 1Password app locks, it can only be unlocked with my password.

I am running the latest OSX (10.13.4) and the latest Mac App Store version of 1Password 7.

Any ideas?

• @fyreous,

It sounds like it might be a different problem given that you're on 10.13.4. I think in this scenario we'd be interested in looking at a diagnostic report to see if the logging shows whether its a known issue or not.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• fyreous
    fyreous
    Community Member

I just submitted the report by email to you guys, but forgot to include the link to this forum (did not see that bit until after I sent). I did include a problem description though. Can you let me know if you received it?

• @fyreous,

I found the report, but it looks like you're getting an error back trying to decrypt using the secure enclave key, I've only seen one other person get that particular error and I'm not yet sure what the cause is. Are you using a 2016 or 2017 model MacBook Pro with Touch ID?

Rudy

• fyreous
    fyreous
    Community Member

It's a 2016 model.

• fyreous
    fyreous
    Community Member

So, as a further update, I tried resetting the 1Password data following instructions on your site, and set up the account over again like new. That did not work. I also tried uninstalling and re-installing from the Mac App Store, but that did not work either. Let me know if there's anything else I can try -- I really miss the convenience of TouchID! :-)

• sklein
    sklein
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Same hier. Touch Id worked fine in 1PW 6 on a brand new Macbook Pro, butted stopped working with the upgrade to 7. The setting is there, I also tried the troubleshoot instructions. I opened a case a few days ago, but did got no answer yet.

Support ID: LHH-32134-954

• ian_delahorne
    ian_delahorne
    Community Member

I'm seeing this issue as well. Touch ID worked on 7.0.2 previously on 10.13.4 on a 2017 15" Macbook Pro, then I changed the password on my mac and I've upgraded to 7.0.3

I've tried the above flow of disabling touch ID in 1password, disabling touch ID on my mac, rebooting then re-enabling Touch ID in OSX and 1password. The option to use Touch ID does not show up when unlocking 1pw.

• fyreous
    fyreous
    Community Member

@rudy and others:

I solved the problem... By re-formatting and re-installing OS X. I know that it was a drastic action, but I'm well-prepared to get back up and running due to cloud backups of everything I need, and so it was worth it for me. Everything is now working as it should, including TouchID unlock of 1P7.

I believe the issue was due to something becoming corrupted in my login keychain file, and from what I read online, there are certain parts of that file that can only be restored through re-installation of OSX.

• mrclary
    mrclary
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I'm having the same issue (running 10.13.4). I've tried all the suggestions above without success. Re-installing OS X is not an option for me at this time. Is there a way to download 1P6?

• mrclary
    mrclary
    Community Member

support id: IXF-82183-263

• sklein
    sklein
    Community Member

Day 8 after I sent my support request and still no answer from Agilebits. This needs to be improved...

• jonathanlaniado
    jonathanlaniado
    Community Member

Any update on this, devs? 2016 MBP here with 1Password 7 and Touch ID is not working for me either.

• gabem
    gabem
    Community Member

I am now back in the same boat. My Touch ID to unlock 1Password 7 stopped working over the weekend. I'm running 10.13.5 and 1Password 7.0.3.

• gabem
    gabem
    Community Member

Just to preempt any calls to upgrade and report back, I just tried again with 7.0.4, same behavior.

This discussion has been closed.