Touch ID on Macbook Pro not working after upgrade to 1P7

Options

Comments

• ian_delahorne
    ian_delahorne
    Community Member
    Options

Tried with 7.0.4 and 10.13.5 with the deregister touch ID in 1pw and OS / reboot / register touch ID - Still doesn't work.

• r_r
    r_r
    Community Member
    Options

I do have the same issue with 7.0.4 and 10.13.5.... :(
    Happend after replacing the keyboard or by changing the password... don't know as I tried after both actions...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience, folks. We're investigating this ourselves, and also reaching out to Apple to see if there's something they can recommend or address themselves. Thanks for your patience while we look into this.

ref: apple-1594

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fyreous: You shouldn't have to do something like that, but I'm glad you were able to and that helped in your case. We'll see what else can be done.

• BigLebowski
    BigLebowski
    Community Member
    Options

I have also a problem with. 1password7 v7.0.7 on my MacBook Pro running on 10.13.5. Touch ID is enabled in the 1Password preferences. In Touch ID Preferences, I deleted the fingerprints and added them again. But the login screen never let me use my fingerprints for login. There is also no fingerprint icon on the login screen. In the 1P security preferences, the option for fingerprint is enabled.
    The problem cames up when I deleted my mac keychain logins. Not sure if this is the root cause, but could be.

• jonathangunnell
    jonathangunnell
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this same problem. I have a feeling mine has something to do with Keychain (which I hate). I log in to the computer on a managed account using my credentials for my workplace. Everything was working fine until I changed my password. Keychain was giving me issues due to the password change so I deleted everything in it. Since then, touch ID in 1password stopped working. I do have the touch ID options in preferences showing but all combinations of removing/adding fingerprints, restarting, and turning the setting on/off in 1password have failed.

7.0.7 and 10.13.6

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks.

I’ve just been speaking with development about this issue. At the moment the only known solution is the one @fyreous posted which is to reformat the drive and reinstall macOS. This is obviously a fairly drastic procedure and I only mention it because that’s all the info we have right now. I don’t recommend folks do that at this point. We’re hopeful that we’ll be able to work with Apple on this issue and come to a much more reasonable resolution.

I’m sorry for the trouble, and I wish I had a better workaround to share.

Ben

• fyreous
    fyreous
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, if there's one thing I learned from this whole endeavor, it's "don't mess with keychain entries directly!" The system relies on entries in there, often entries that have no obvious label as to what they are for or what they do, and many are only created once at the time of OS installation. If they get deleted, renamed, or modified -- there's no easy way to get them back short of a fresh re-install.

• Ben
    Options

I’d say that does indeed seem like generally good advice, @fyreous.

Ben

• jonathangunnell
    jonathangunnell
    Community Member
    Options

I wish I could just uninstall keychain and never have anything to do with it. I guess that's a comment for another forum though...

• Ben
    Options

Being that it is a core part of the operating system I doubt that’ll ever be possible on macOS/iOS. That said there shouldn’t really be any reason for the vast majority of people to ever interact with the keychain directly.

Ben

• justinhamilton
    justinhamilton
    Community Member
    Options

Same issues as above. Running latest version of 1Password as well as latest OS. Tried turning off Touch ID in 1Password, erasing all fingerprints, turning the feature off in settings and then restarting. Made no difference. Still can't use Touch ID to unlock, which is really annoying,

What will fix this? Based on the above, obviously more than a one-off.

• justinhamilton
    justinhamilton
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

Will you update this chain once you all narrow down on a fix?

• Ben
    Options

@justinhamilton

Yes, as more information becomes available we’ll update this thread. :)

Ben

• thomaskekeisen
    thomaskekeisen
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Can confirm this issue still exists. The touch id option just disappears while it works pretty well in all other applications. I recently had to hit the "Reset My Default Keychains" button in the "Keychain Access" app. Maybe this has something to do with this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thomaskekeisen: Indeed, messing with the system Keychain can have a lot of repercussions, and it's definitely the most common cause of issues with Touch ID on the Mac that I've seen. By "resetting" it, you destroy some, but probably not all, data in the Keychain. That can have many other undesirable effects, and isn't really something we have control over. :(

• thomaskekeisen
    thomaskekeisen
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks. At the end I renamed my keychain folder and rebooted my MacBook. After that I had to reconfigure TouchID overall, but the 1password started to work again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thomaskekeisen - glad to hear things got straightened out in the end. Let us know if you have any further issues.

• thomaskekeisen
    thomaskekeisen
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Would at least be great to get this issue fixed. Deleting the Keychain only to fix the TouchID with 1password is not the most user-friendly solution at all! :-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thomaskekeisen - we'll continue working with Apple to address this issue comprehensively. :) :+1:

• ooo27
    ooo27
    Community Member
    Options

Any ETA on a fix for this? It's annoying to have to type my long password in every time. TouchID seemed to work initially, but I guess an update broke it?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @ooo27! We don't normally pre-announce release dates for new versions or even bug fixes, as many factors (some beyond our control) affect them. Please stay tuned. 😀

• ooo27
    ooo27
    Community Member
    Options

It's been broken since May. I can only stay tuned for so long :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ooo27 - if your Master Password is sufficiently long and bothers you to type too frequently, the option presented in the thread Ben mentioned earlier is to re-format your drive and re-install macOS. That seems to reliably solve this issue. :)

• budsimrin
    budsimrin
    Community Member
    Options

My wife has had this problem for months on her MacBook Pro running Sierra. I fixed it (at least for now) simply by running the standard suite of fixes from Cocktail and then rebooting. Cocktail was configured to run the Daily, Weekly, and Monthly scripts, cleared her System and Applications caches, cleared the User and Internet caches for All Users, cleared the log files, and enforced critical security updates.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Interesting. Thank you for sharing!

• cap10morgan
    cap10morgan
    Community Member
    Options

Running Cocktail fixed it for me too! Great tip, @budsimrin!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cap10morgan - that's quite interesting. It's been a while since I owned a copy of Cocktail, and I don't remember exactly what scripts it runs...but I'm a bit surprised to hear it would work to solve this issue. I'm glad it did, just...a little surprised.

• cap10morgan
    cap10morgan
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I downloaded and ran the free trial version of Cocktail. So this is something anyone can try. But yeah, it would be interesting to isolate what exactly inside those maintenance scripts is solving this issue (and putting it into 1Password potentially).

This discussion has been closed.