How to switch master-unlock-vault, the vault and matching password to unlock all [1Password 7, Mac]

Options
rmpel
rmpel
Community Member

So I got myself a 1P subscription, and I downloaded the 1Password 7 installer on my personal mac.
After starting 1P7 it detected my vaults and now I can use my old vault, my work vault and my newly acquired cloud vault.
Unlocking is done with the password of my work vault, which was the default vault in 1P6.

On my work mac, I installed 1P7 and upon start it did detected multiple datasets. 1 with 1 vault, 1 with 2, so I selected the "2 vault" option, which holds my existing vaults. 1P7 continued to ignore the vaults and presented me with only my cloud vault. I proceeded then to find out how to add local vaults, which is not very clear when using 1P7, had to search/google on how to add local vaults (turns out to be a checkbox that is disabled by default, but enabled and greyed on my personal mac) and after that, I could add the two vaults.
I now have 2 local vaults and 1 cloud vault, unlocking is done with the master-password of my cloud vault.

Now this is not so much a problem, but it is inconsistent.

Ideally I would want to unlock 1Password on my work mac with the (previously default vault) work-vault-master-password. In other words; as it is on my personal mac.

How do I do that?
Would be happy with half-way there; getting to unlock 1P on work mac with the "Default local vault" instead of the "Cloud vault", which used to be the case before upgrade, and IS the case on my personal mac.

I know there is no UI to make this switch, but point me to the correct configuration file, and I might figure it out ;). I tried the usual places for configuration files, but without success.

(If all else fails I would want to overwrite the ones on my work mac with the ones from my personal mac, but I need to know which ones to copy. Preferable I would like to know which plist file I would need to edit on my work mac, after comparing with personal mac. And yes, I know it's risky, but the data is both in DropBox and in multiple backups; I'm willing to accept the risk of temporarily losing data)

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: n.a.
OS Version: OSX 10.13.3
Sync Type: Folder/Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rmpel: Glad you asked! There isn't a way to manually set/change which vault/account is the one whose Master Password is used as, in most cases, these should all be the same. But certainly in this case it makes some sense that you'd have a different one if you didn't get to choose the Master Password for the vault being shared with you.

The reason you're running into this is that the 1Password app follow a very specific rule: it will unlock with the first account/vault you have setup there. So, with that in mind, what you can do is 1) backup your data, 2) reset the app, and then 3) set it up first with the vault/account whose Master Password you want to use for unlocking. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• rmpel
    rmpel
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, I foresee that won't help, because when I want to start the app after reset (I guess) it will ask me to supply my license (which is done by cloud account) and set-up that vault before I have the chance to add the local vaults.
    I will try, of course, but I suspect you'll be reading from me soon ^^

In any case; thanks for the response.

• rmpel
    rmpel
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, my ... so glad to be wrong!!

happy camper here!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, I'm happy if you're happy! And we're here if you need anything else. Enjoy your weekend! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.