v7 - sometimes closing main app quits menu-bar as well, sometimes not

Options
JamesHenderson
JamesHenderson
Community Member

Hi,

I am a little confused about the relationship between the "main" app and the menubar icon.

Sometimes quitting the main app removed the menu bart icon and sometimes it does not. Can someone please clarify it for me?

thanks!
James.

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: personal

Comments

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member
    Options

I have also experienced this but I thought it was just me going mad.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JamesHenderson & @Sheza,

We used to have an option whereby you could have 1Password mini terminate when you closed the main 1Password window but we've done away with that now. You can remove the 1Password icon from the macOS menu bar but assuming you like having the icon there the behaviour you should see is as follows:

1. Closing the main 1Password window via the close button in the upper lefthand corner of the window or the keyboard shortcut ⌘W should not affect the icon in the macOS menu bar.
    2. Quitting the main 1Password window using the menu option 1Password 7 > Quit 1Password or keyboard shortcut ⌘Q should not affect the icon in the macOS menu bar.
    3. Quitting the main 1Password window using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌥⌘Q will cause the icon in the macOS menu bar to disappear.

If you're seeing anything else that is unintended and undesirable behaviour. Are you being notified of a crash at all when this happens?

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@littlebobbytables
    So here's the ways I might close the app:

1. Close button in upper lefthand corner. If I have just recently opened the app, it will close the app and remove the icon from my dock. That's the expected behaviour.

However, if the app has been open for a while, doing this only closes the window and the app remains in the dock. I just tested it (not sure how long you have to wait - give it an hour I'd say). Now when I try to close 1Password by clicking the close button in the upper lefthand corner, the app remains in the dock (with the little dot indicator underneath it).

1. Closing the app via 'right click - quit' the icon in the dock (not sure what keyboard shortcut that is, I don't deal well with shortcuts) used to close the app & the mini icon in the menubar. I am pleased to see the after 7.0.1 this is no longer the case.

So the issue remains - if I close the 1Password window using the close button, it won't respond in the expected way if 1Password has been open for a while.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

hmm - it hasn't done it in a while now ie quitting the main window does not quite the menu bar app now.

Maybe I just needed to restart my Mac after upgrading for it to work properly. I'll keep an eye on it.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

@Sheza I am seeing the same as you (just checked).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JamesHenderson and @Sheza - can you both please make sure to upgrade to 7.0.3? This is the latest version. Check if you're still experiencing the behavior.

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member
    Options

Sure... when it gets to the App Store. I know it's not your fault but I think you guys should be clearer on your site / FAQs etc that the App Store version is subject to delays and so bug fixes will be better on the standalone version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sheza: Unless I'm forgetting something, you should be able to use the version from our website instead. Some folks prefer the Mac App Store version because it can be updated automatically in the background without them having to worry about it. It's just a matter of preference. :)

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

yes, I was MAS as well. I did then change to AgileBits (to get 7.0.3) but then discovered a bug that meant I had to go back to v6 until it is fixed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1:

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

@brenty @Lars ...back on 7.0.3 after someone posted a workaround. As @dteare has also recognised the issue, I am guessing you don't need diagnostics from me anymore?

[Edit] - in looking for the link for the workaround I can now see that 7.0.4 has addressed the issue :+1:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JamesHenderson - I think you'll be happy with 7.0.4; give it a whirl and let us know whether you're still having difficulties.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

will do, thanks! :+1:

(still hate the all-caps title font in the main interface though...)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.