An error occurred while trying to replace the existing file [Anti-virus solution interfering]

speedysk1
speedysk1
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Patch 7.0.553 is not installing and I get the above error. DeleteFile failed: code 32. I'm on Windows 10.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:7.0.553

Comments

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

I don' know if this is another gremlin caused by the latest Windows Update, but when I tried to update my 1P7 today I got the attached screen..

It resulted, eventually, in 1P7 disappearing completely from my computer and I had to go to the net and download/install 1P7 all over again.

Now it is up and running again.

I see in the release notes something about only having until May 27 to update my licence. Is this correct? What happens to a Beta user if they are unable to update during that period? Does 1P7 disappear in a puff of smoke as in Mission Impossible?

As a Beta user why did I not receive some message with full details? Had I not looked at the releaase notes I would be none the wiser. Frankly, I'm still not sure what the release note is meant to be telling me.

1Password Version: 7.0.552
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Windows 10 April Update: Ugh!
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• Hi @Andrew42,

Thanks for reporting this.

We cannot be sure that it is caused by Windows update but we often see this caused by the anti-malware solution interfering with 1Password while it replace files, that's why 1Password is saying it cannot rename a file, something is using it.

Can you tell me what solution you're using?

I see in the release notes something about only having until May 27 to update my licence. Is this correct?

1Password 7 will require a license or 1Password account to keep editing and saving your data. However, we do not start requiring this until the "free" grace period ends on 25th. That way you can still use it without a license until you get a chance to either buy or sign up for 1Password account.

Here's what happens on May 26th when the grace period expires:

1Password goes into read-only mode with that yellow banner on top.

What happens to a Beta user if they are unable to update during that period? Does 1P7 disappear in a puff of smoke as in Mission Impossible?

No, 1Password goes into read-only mode, you'll always be able to use 1Password without a license to view your data but you'll need a 1Password account or license to modify your data.

If 1Password does "puff" because of lack of license or something like that, we should go out of business because that's not how anyone should be treated.

As a Beta user why did I not receive some message with full details?

In this beta, we've presented two separate messages: the ending of free beta period on May 25th like this:

and the welcome to 1Password 7 window when you unlock after the update is installed:

Frankly, I'm still not sure what the release note is meant to be telling me.

The release note is usually just a list of changes that goes into the update.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Mike, Thanks for the response. The reason I asked the questions is because having had to reinstall 1P7 after the problem I had, (mentioned above), I see neither of the two messages you mention.

I use Malwarebytes, CCleaner and ESET.

• MikeT
    edited May 2018

Hi @Andrew42,

Do you have a 1Password account in the 1Password database? Can you go to the 1Password menu > License, what does it say?

If it says 1Password membership, then neither messages will show up because it is not required in your case. All 1Password.com customers get free upgrades included.

I use Malwarebytes, CCleaner and ESET.

Unfortunately, both MalwareBytes and ESET are known for doing this to us. Here's another customer reporting the same issue today with MalwareBytes and ESET. I'd recommend whitelisting 1Password directory at %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password in both tools to prevent this from happening again.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thanks again, Mike. Since I booted my PC this morning, the licence message is now appearing as it should. My guess is that having to reinstall 1P7 discombobulated something.

I will add the exception to Malwarebytes and ESET as you suggest.

• Great, please do let me know if that helps with the next update that's out now.

• speedysk1
    speedysk1
    Community Member

Current version installed is 7.0.552

• Hi @speedysk1,

I've merged your posts here. It's not 1Password issue but your anti-malware solution blocking 1Password. Are you using MalwareBytes or ESET by any chance?

• speedysk1
    speedysk1
    Community Member

We use McAfee products. Are you suggesting the Anti-virus suite is causing this? Also my 1password helper app has stopped so the browser extension doesn't work. This happened with *.552 yesterday.

• Hi @speedysk1,

Yes, in almost 99% of the times, the solution would touch or lock the file while 1Password replace its files, causing it to halt during the setup process. AV tends to do this because of our encryption libraries included, so we seems like ransomware to them.

Uninstall 1Password and reinstall it from here, be sure to disable the AV temporarily.

Also my 1password helper app has stopped so the browser extension doesn't work.

Once you hit this setup problem, it is not recoverable, you have to do a clean uninstall and reinstall.

• v2qrY7y2JZWy7Zup
    v2qrY7y2JZWy7Zup
    Community Member

I've encountered this three times and on two different machines in the last week or so. First was on Windows 10 (1803) and using 7.0.5xx (unsure as I thought it was a strange one-off and didn't grab the version). Next two times were on 8.1 using 7.0.543 and then 7.0.533. On the Windows 8.1 machine, I'm now on 7.0.555.

In all three cases, I was using the machine as normal and had used 1Password many times in the hours leading up to the issue. After a reboot or coming out of sleep, a 1Password error appears. Don't have the screenshot but text in the log says:

An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory:
    MoveFile failed; code 183.
    Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to skip this file (not recommended), or Abort to cancel installation.

It appeared to be a setup error as when I tried to reinstall 7.0.555 just now, it said another instance of the setup was running. Aborted the error message and then reinstalled. I can share the full logs with staff if necessary.

Is anyone else seeing this?

1Password Version: 7.0.543, 7.0.553
    Extension Version: 4.7.1.90
    OS Version: Windows 8.1
    Sync Type: Cloud and Standalone

• MikeT
    edited May 2018

Hi @v2qrY7y2JZWy7Zup,

Thanks for reporting this and I’ve merged your post into this thread talking about the same issue.

When 1Password is installing, something is blocking it from completingand that can result into a missing install. So far, we haven’t found it to be an issue with 1Password itself but the way anti-malware solution intereferes with 1Password.

Can you tell me what anti-malware solution you’re using?

• v2qrY7y2JZWy7Zup
    v2qrY7y2JZWy7Zup
    Community Member

@MikeT thanks for the details here. On both machines, it's Windows Defender plus Malwarebytes 3.5.1. I actually work at Malwarebytes and would love to dig into this with you. Can you PM and we can get the right teams talking on this?

• Awesome, I’ll send you a private message.

• Hi guys,

Huge thanks to v2qrY7y2JZWy7Zup for finding a workaround you can use right now: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90843/1password-may-experience-a-setup-error-during-updates-if-youre-using-malwarebytes-3-will-be-fixed#latest

They'll fix the issue on their side as soon as possible.

This discussion has been closed.