1Password UI Fails

Options
abriden
abriden
Community Member

The improvements in security features that 1Password 7 includes are obviously welcome, but with the subscription model in mind, changes to the workflow are more invasive than ever as one has no choice but to accept them.

It is really disappointing therefore, that there are a number of changes to the UI that I'm sure I'm not alone in having issues with. The biggest I guess, is the new 1Password Mini window that has lost all the utility it had as a simplified drop-down menu and now apes the main application window, that many will already have open in the background. This is a seriously retrograde step, with lost functionality.

The new collapsing sidebar is another UI change which has been completely overcooked. The fact it can collapse is welcome, but where as it could have been achieved simply and intuitively by double-clicking the dark background area, one instead has to notice the pop-up tab that appears from the second-column and then fiddle with that. This is not an interaction used elsewhere, so why complicate matters?

Finally, having created many log-ins without labels (where they are redundant, such as listed items) I am now presented with fields marked as 'label', which if renamed with blank spaces, do not collapse the unwanted vertical space when exiting Edit-Mode as they did previously. Neither, can I seem to create multi-line field entries. Typographically, spacing between labels and fields is particularly tight, whilst between separate items there is more space than required – it's neither balanced nor is it visually clear. The fact that labels now sit above their corresponding fields (as opposed to their left) also increases the overall length of entries considerably and that requires more scrolling.

These changes do not improve functionality at all !

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS High Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member
    Options

I completely agree, especially with the visual confusion in 'edit' view... it's not intuitive at all.

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @abriden! Thanks so much for the feedback and perspective. The new 1Password mini is the first step toward making it a more usable mini version of 1Password. There are more steps coming. We've discussed this a lot in the past few weeks so I'd recommend checking out some of the other threads about it where our designer has weighed in. I'll save us both time rather than restating the same thing they did. :)

The new collapsing sidebar is another UI change which has been completely overcooked. The fact it can collapse is welcome, but where as it could have been achieved simply and intuitively by double-clicking the dark background area, one instead has to notice the pop-up tab that appears from the second-column and then fiddle with that. This is not an interaction used elsewhere, so why complicate matters?

We've had a bit of feedback on this as well, and it's something we're considering improvements for in the future.

Finally, having created many log-ins without labels (where they are redundant, such as listed items) I am now presented with fields marked as 'label', which if renamed with blank spaces, do not collapse the unwanted vertical space when exiting Edit-Mode as they did previously. Neither, can I seem to create multi-line field entries. Typographically, spacing between labels and fields is particularly tight, whilst between separate items there is more space than required – it's neither balanced nor is it visually clear. The fact that labels now sit above their corresponding fields (as opposed to their left) also increases the overall length of entries considerably and that requires more scrolling.

Could you take a screenshot of this please? I just want to make sure I'm on the same page so I can help.

This discussion has been closed.