can't close 1Password 7 - OSX 10.13.4

Options
nmarley
nmarley
Community Member

Hi,

I literally can't close the application. The window just stays open. Cmd+Q doesn't work, and even if I use the context menu, and click "Quit", it just stays open. I have disabled the mini helper because I don't like or use it.

I've read another thread which says this is expected behaviour but it's just really strange that you won't let me close the process. Can you please fix this? This is a terrible, terrible design, not letting users close the process out.

Thanks,

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't close 1password 7

Comments

• nmarley
    nmarley
    Community Member
    Options

Note that kill -s TERM <PID> does work...

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

Try Control-Option-Command-Q.

• Vince_Sz
    Vince_Sz
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I'm having the exact same issue for the first time today. I upgraded to 7 (latest) recently and had no issues.
    Today I can't quit the app except via the Force Quit menu or killing the process in Terminal. Example: ps aux | grep -i 1pass ; sudo kill -9 <PID_OF_1Password>

I monitored the application log (Go to "Help | Troubleshooting | Show Application Log"), but nothing special seems to be logged when I try to quit.

The app seems to be functioning normally otherwise: it's syncing items I've added while it's in this state, and it came back up OK after I Force Quit it a couple of times. Seems like a weird state though...

• bricin
    bricin
    Community Member
    Options

+1

Absolutely incorrect behavior and new in 7.

• Erik_NL
    Erik_NL
    Community Member
    Options

Me too! I have the same issue with the "not working" command (Cmd+Q) from the Menu to quit 1Password 7.0.1 (MacOS 10.2.6)
    Very odd to use the Force Quit for stopping 1Password. However closing the vault by using the red X dot closes 1Password too...
    I'm looking forward to version 7.0.2

About the new interface: I don't like the capital titles of the SECTION.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Vince_Sz ,

FYI - for future reference, you can use:

sudo killall -m '1Pass.*'

I realize this is tangential and doesn't address the real issue.

• bricin
    bricin
    Community Member
    Options

Lovely - 1Password apparently says this is "by design" https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/432080/#Comment_432080

Which is bonkers.

1. Cmd+Q closes all other Mac apps.
    2. Oddly enough Cmd+W which closes the 1Password window winds up closing 1Password (I guess since it has no Windows it shuts down).
    3. If, for some strange reason, Cmd+Q cannot in fact close the app (bonkers) then update the shortcut key or remove it.

So... why not simply make Cmd+Q do the right thing here? Because literally it does absolutely nothing. It simply flashes and then sits there.

Is Microsoft designing this UX? Feels like it.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@bricin,

Some apps are not closed w/Cmd-Q, since like 1Password, they are 2-part apps. SnagIt, for example, quits the Editor portion with Cmd-Q, but not the menu bar controller app.

Some apps allow configuring Cmd-Q to close only the open window, and not quit the entire app. This is not uncommon for apps that use Menu-bar control.

Or server-type apps that also have a UI component; users are used to quitting the UI, but want the server component to remain running and accessible.

Cmd-Q is working here to close 1Password (mini remains running of course).

Maybe its just a minor bug that will get resolved soon.

• bricin
    bricin
    Community Member
    Options

I hear you - although I think we can agree that the exception in this case proves the rule i.e. while there are other apps that require more this is not the norm.

But if I don't use Mini Mode/ menu bar then the argument is odd, right? In other words there is clearly a code path for truly quitting. I can validate this because Cmd+W in fact quits with a single window open.

So in the case of a single window, no Mini Mode, why not have Cmd+Q operate via that pathway?

The alternative is me (and others) learning a more cumbersome shortcut and the fact that today, in this scenario, Cmd+Q literally does nothing.

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

Are we seeing something different? For me Command-Q does close 1Password. That is, it closes the window and it's no longer visibly running in the dock or taskbar either. Are you saying that Command-Q does nothing at all for you? Or are you just saying that you can still see it in Activity Monitor? If the latter, why is that a problem? Remember that something needs to be running for the browser extensions to work.

• Vince_Sz
    Vince_Sz
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I don't use the browser extensions, and for me Command-Q doesn't do anything for version 7. 1Password stays running in the foreground, window fully expanded, and I have to spend extra seconds killing the app with brute force or do Command-W / "Click the red button, Frank" when I want it to go away. Often Command-W is not fully effective and Force Quit is also necessary.

Quit should mean Quit, period. Having additional helper programs continue on is fine, but currently 1Password doesn't make clear what's going on.

The app is still great at what it does. But this is definitely a bug to my eyes--an inconvenient and confusing one. Quit shouldn't be a "no-op" with zero explanation.

Sometimes people make an odd choice and decide to justify it or stick to it for whatever reason. Or maybe it'll be fixed. /shrug :)

• maxwell
    maxwell
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Please bring back the CMD-q functionality like literally all 99.9% of other apps do.

I don't care/use mini-mode or whatever it's called and I simply want a) a quick way to quit the application with CMD-q like it did for years and b) don't want a 1Password process still handing around (this happens when I just close the window).

Also: https://i.imgur.com/Wlyzm10.png literally does nothing, too.
    FTR: this screenshot shows the OSX 1Password menu "Quit 1Password - CMD q" which is broken as it does nothing, does not quit.

I've read https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/432080/ and you can argue all you want: but you broke the users expectations and I, as others in this thread, consider this a bug.

If one is not using the top bar integration or mini-mode then there's no ground for your 2-process argument because nothing is supposed to stay in the background.

I'm quoting and totally supporting Vince_Sz:

Quit should mean Quit, period

Sorry guys, but this is a pretty UX bad decision on your part you should rectify ASAP. Don't muck around with users expectations.

thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Being unable to close the 1Password window, whether you want to use ⌘Q or ⌘W isn't working as expected - that is a bug. As I've posted elsewhere today this is what should happen.

1. ⌃⌥⌘Q Quits 1Password entirely. Nothing is running and filling won't work.
    2. ⌘W and ⌘Q should both close the open window and my docked icon shows it as not running.

Anything other than that is a bug in my book although I don't understand why it works for me. I am running Sierra so unless there is something weird going on in certain High Sierra builds I would hope we see the same behaviour.

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    Options

I posted a question here https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/433421 before seeing the https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/432080/ one. The team member keeps saying it's expected behavior.

In my opinion, cmd+W should put the app into "mini mode" and cmd+Q should quit the app entirely. They clearly got it backwards (not to mention cmd+Q doesn't close any window), yet they insist it is by design. It breaks normal user expectation, and causes great confusion among all of us here, thus it isn't a good design.

I don't get why they cannot own it up and fix it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tzm41 - if ⌘Q doesn't close the main window and remove the Dock icon, then that's a bug by definition since it's not working the way we designed it to. Is this what's happening to you?

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    Options

Yes

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    Options

But as I said cmd W should do that and cmd Q should quit the app. Instead, cmd Q is doing nothing, and cmd W is quitting the app.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

cmq Q does it for me, but clicking the left hand round button (sorry - don't know the right name - pic below) seems to minimise the app as it remains running on the dock.

• rstewart
    rstewart
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I'm seeing the same thing as @tzm41 and the preference setting to uncheck "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" is not saved (even after updating to v7.0.2). Cmd-Q does not close the main window or the dock icon. Per the discussion on https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/433421 there's clearly a use-case for a user not wanting the extension running and expecting to be able to quit the app. It makes some sense to me that if I have the extension running, I may want to just be able to close the main window. If I don't have the extension running, and I "quit" the app, I would expect it to actually quit.

It feels like there are two bugs here: the preference for the extension helper not being saved and cmd-Q not actually closing the window. I can agree that there may be a difference in expectations as to what "quitting" the app might mean, but based on the discussions (at least 3 threads now?), there are more than just a couple users who expect quit to actually quit the app.

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    Options

Totally agreeing with @rstewart that they designed it backwards… and that if the extension helper isn’t running quit should just quit the app instead of doing nothing.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I think there is a difference between 1PW7 and 1PW6 that partially explains this issue, but from other posts it seems there is also a bug.

In 1PW6 and earlier cmd-Q quite the main 1Password program but kept the Mini running. You needed a different keystroke to quit 1PW Mini as well as 1PW itself.

I believe (I could easily be wrong) that 1PW Mini and 1PW have somehow been rolled into one in 1PW7. If I am correct, there would obviously be slightly unexpected behaviour with cmd-Q.

I don't have any issues myself, but I have seen an oddity. I use DragThing as a Dock replacement. When I have 1PW open and press cmd-Q, 1PW disappears from DragTing's Process Dock and shows as closed in the Mac's Dock, as expected. But it shows as running in DragThing's main dock, which never used to happen.

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

There does indeed seem to be a bug related to having 1Password open for a period of time. Today I had it open for a while in the background and when I tried to bring it to front, it was weirdly unresponsive. I managed to make it respond by first opening 1Password Mini. But after this incident the window position bug was suddenly back again. I repaired permissions with the troubleshooting tool and that seemed to work again. But I doubt it will stay fixed.

I don't know if these are all related. But there do seem to be problems with

1. Quitting doesn't quit properly
    2. Main window not activating after a period of inactivity
    3. The window position bug keeps coming back

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce any of the above consistently.

This is with version 7.0.1 as that's still the latest in the App Store.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

I discovered that if you open 1Password and immediately issue ⌘Q, nothing happens. But if you click inside the just-opened 1Password window and then issue ⌘Q, the application does indeed close as expected. I note also that only after clicking inside the open window does the search field become active, as indicated by a blue outline. In addition, the red, yellow and green dots are not active either, until the window is made active by a click. Could it be that the problem is that opening 1Password from its icon in the dock only brings up a window but doesn't really start the application? So issuing ⌘Q is like trying to quit an application that isn't actually active in the first place?

• bricin
    bricin
    Community Member
    Options

As reported earlier - not only does Cmd+Q not close 1Password but even taking the time to click 1Password7... Quit 1Password simply does not quit 1Password.

This is crazy - there is literally no way to reliably close this app.

I'm happy to repro this via video, troubleshoot with logs, whatever the team needs. But it's bad.

• tzm41
    tzm41
    Community Member
    Options

You can force quit… that’s it. Or as the team suggested, use some very inconvenient combination of keys that isn’t shown anywhere in the app.

It is bad, I agree, but they don’t.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bricin - to Quit 1Password completely, type ^⌥⌘Q (or hold down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).

• schwaggy
    schwaggy
    Community Member
    Options

This is some odd behavior, I agree, when compared to how other apps behave. How about making the menus change the fuinction's wording like most other apps do when you hold down the key modifiers? Hold down Command+Option+Q - State in the menu what will happen if you select that menu item...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@schwaggy

How about making the menus change the fuinction's wording like most other apps do when you hold down the key modifiers?

We do. With 1Password 7 open, click the 1Password menu item. You'll notice at the bottom the working for ⌘Q (Quit 1Password). Now, with that menu still visible, hold down the Control (^) and Option (⌥) keys as well, and you'll see the description change to the specified behavior (Quit 1Password Completely). Hope this helps!

• schwaggy
    schwaggy
    Community Member
    Options

Well you sure do! I wonder what keys I was pressing when I tried ;)
    Thanks

• Vince_Sz
    Vince_Sz
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

As of my upgrade tonight to Version 7.0.4 (700040001), no more issues closing/quitting for me. Thanks for the fix!

By the way, I submitted a troubleshooting report and got a nice confirmation email that this was indeed a bug.

Info on diagnostics/reporting here:
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

This discussion has been closed.