1Password 6 Not Updating to 6.8.9

stevenj
stevenj
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

I purchased the stand alone version awhile ago and a couple of days ago got a message to update to v6.8.9, which i attempted to do. However, before the update was complete, I got an error message that you can see in enclosed file.

I contacted support and was advised to go the agile bits website and dl the update directly, which I did. However, after installation, 1Password says "trial expired" and I am unable to edit or add any entries.

Will someone please help me resolve this isse?

thx,
Steve H

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:update

ref: ZWP-53237-363

Comments

• ryanofarrell
    ryanofarrell
    Community Member

Has anyone updated you Steve? I'm having the same issue here.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Steve_H, welcome back to the forum. We are happy to help :smile:. It seems like you may have downloaded 1Password 7 from the AgileBits website rather than 1Password 6. 1Password 7 requires a new license as it is a complete revamp of the Mac app. You can download 6.8.9 directly from our website at this link. Please let me know if this does not solve your problem.

Hi @ryanofarrell, welcome to the forum! Like I told Steve, try downloading 6.8.9 directly from the AgileBits website at this link. Please let me know if this does not solve your problem.

• ryanofarrell
    ryanofarrell
    Community Member

Thanks @jadchaar. That did the trick!

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

That is great to hear @ryanofarrell! We are here to help if anything else comes up :smile:.

I hope the solution I stated above helps Steve as well.

• stevenj
    stevenj
    Community Member

Hi jadchaar,
    I didn't see your message until today. No, that fix didn't work for me. It says v6.8.9 but still says "trial expired' and it's been locked since last week. Please help em resolve this, I'm getting very frustrated...

• stevenj
    stevenj
    Community Member

and my original copy was purchased from the itunes store

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stevenj,

The devil is in the details so I need to confirm how you previously purchased 1Password for Mac. I say this because you could have purchased 1Password for iOS and that would be from within the iTunes store and it doesn't cover the Mac.

If you definitely purchased 1Password for Mac and did so via Apple's Mac App Store then the following should work.

1. Ensure you have a note of your Apple ID password.
    2. Quit 1Password using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌥⌘Q from the main window.
    3. Drag the 1Password application bundle from your /Applications/ folder to the Trash.
    4. In the App Store application switch to the Purchased tab.
    5. Download a fresh copy of 1Password. This is where you might need your Apple ID password as you may need to re-authenticate.
    6. Launch the fresh copy of 1Password currently in your /Applications/ folder.

If instead you purchased directly from us it sounds like you need to apply your licence if 6.8.9 is saying trial expired. This link, If you see “Trial Expired” in 1Password: Add your license can help with this along with assisting locating a licence if you can't find yours.

Does this help at all?

• stevenj
    stevenj
    Community Member

hi there,
    I don't remember where/how I purchased the program (but I know i bought a stand alone license). I may have purchased the iOS ver from the itunes store and it included a ver for all devices (inc MacOS). I know that I purchased the "pro" version. Everything was working fine before, until I got the error message above, and was asked to dl a ver from the agile site, and then everything went kablooie! I'm happy going back to the last ver that worked, as that ver had all the features I need

I'm not against trying the fix you listed, but will that preserve my data? Also, it appears that the only ver available in the app store is v7, and I'm using v6. Will that work?

thx,
    Steve

• stevenj
    stevenj
    Community Member

ok, I was able to delete the existing version, and then the Apple App Store had it available for installation. So, I think it worked.
    questions:
    1. when I installed it, it prompted me for my "families" key, password, etc (I tried this when it first came out and decided to go back to the stand alone version. Is it going to be ok that it's prompting me for that?
    2. The app store also has v7 available. Should I have dl'ed that version instead?

thx,
    Steve

• stevenj
    stevenj
    Community Member

I may have spoke too soon. 1Password thinks I'm using the "families" version. How do i tell i that I'm just using the stand alone version?

• stevenj
    stevenj
    Community Member

Someone from Agile tech support, please respond!

• @stevenj,

If you purchased 1Password from the App Store then it would show up on the Purchases tab in App Store.app as 1Password 6 was pulled from sale when we released 1Password 7.. The iOS version wouldn't have included anything other than enabling Pro features in the iOS version, so it wasn't that.

If you're operating in a standalone mode your options are: 1Password 6 from the Purchases Tab in App Store, 1Password 6 from our website, or 1Password 7 from our website with the addition of a standalone license purchase. 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade for license users, so that's something to consider there.

You can verify whether you're signed into an account by opening the Preferences window and clicking on the Accounts tab, if you're in standalone mode there should be no accounts in the list.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Rudy

• stevenj
    stevenj
    Community Member

Rudy,

I'm confused.

I purchased the app from the Apple itunes store, because when put the app in the trash, it appeared for dl in the app store (1Password 6, that is). I dl'ed it yesterday, but it thinks I'm using the "families" version and has created a personal vault (I tried this version for a while, but decided to just stick with the stand-alone version. So now . I just want the stand alone version, but it's currently set-up (it automatically did that when I installed it) for the 'families" version. How do I go back to the stand alone version and "turn-off" the families version?

thank you.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Ah, @stevenj, I see. In that case, give the instructions over at this page a try. It will get you where you want to be.

• stevenj
    stevenj
    Community Member

Thank you, I believe that worked. In addition to being helpful, the directions in the link were perfectly correct. When it said select "vaults", it was actually there! thx!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad Corey was able to help out. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.