1Password 7 mini does not automatically starts + some general feedback

KoCMoHaBTa
KoCMoHaBTa
Community Member

Hi 1Password Team,

Fist of all, thanks for the amazing work you've done to bring to us this product. Keep going with the great work.

Recently i've update to 1Password 7 on my Mac, eager to see the new design and experience the new features, as usual.
I'm using 1Password from the Mac App Store, so my update was done by installing the new version and when i saw it was a separate app - then i deleted the old one (in case it matters).

So i've started playing around with it and noticed the following weird behaviour:

• the 1Password mini sometimes does not auto start when my Mac is restarted (i've got few unplanned restarts yesterday, so noticed that)
  • the 1Password mini sometimes disappears from the menu bar when i login (i usually just close and open my LID, aka. sleep/wake the Mac)
  • the 1Password mini most of the time disappears from the menu bar when i close the main application - see the video

I don't know if all of these are the same issue or if they are related, but at least the last one with the video, would be nice to be fixed.

In addition, i would like to share an initial general feedback about the new version:

• the new design is very nice
  • the 1Password mini sidebar, IMO, is unnecessary, however at least the ability to permanently hide it, would be nice to have feature.

1Password Version: 7.0 (70000017)
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Sheza
    Sheza
    Community Member
    edited May 2018

Are you quitting the main application, or closing it with the red button?

Here's what I find:

• Quitting 1Password quits 1Password mini
    • Closing 1Password with the red button a few minutes after it opens closes the app from the dock
    • If 1Password has been open for a while, closing it with the red button doesn't do anything. You have to quit it to close it - which in turn quits 1Password Mini.
  • KoCMoHaBTa
    KoCMoHaBTa
    Community Member

I'm quitting it, because closing it with the red button, on version 7, not always closes the main application, but just closes the window and leaves the icon in the dock.

Compared to version 6 - no matter whenever you close it from the red button or from the dock - it always closes the main app (removing the icon from the dock) and leaves the mini in the bar.

• Hey @KoCMoHaBTa! Thanks for posting about the 1Password mini issues. Those are certainly odd... To get a better idea of what the issue is, please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email, and send it to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a confirmation number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• KoCMoHaBTa
    KoCMoHaBTa
    Community Member

Thanks @Jacob! I've sent the report and here is the number - #TVZ-63418-198

• Perfect, I'll get back to you shortly!

ref: TVZ-63418-198

• KoCMoHaBTa
    KoCMoHaBTa
    Community Member

Thanks @Jacob, for keeping in touch with me and for the suggestion.
    I've responded to the email.

In short - the issues appears to be fixed in 7.0.1 which was released few days ago in the Mac AppStore.
    Thanks for the assistance.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KoCMoHaBTa - glad the update to 7.0.1 seems to have solved the issues you were having, but let us know if you notice anything else or have additional questions. Cheers! :)

• ewiesner26
    ewiesner26
    Community Member

I have a couple of things... 1. I am running 7.01, the Apple Store version and it has not updated to 7.02, why is that? I updated another machine last night from 6 to 7 and it updated to the latest version. 2. Why can I not generate a new pw from the mini? I liked that in version 6. V7 requires me to start the main application and will not generate through the mini.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @ewiesner26!

I am running 7.01, the Apple Store version and it has not updated to 7.02, why is that?

Because for the Mac App Store, we have to submit new versions to Apple and they have to undergo their review process and be approved. That's one of the advantages of having the version from our own website instead of the Mac App Store version.

Why can I not generate a new pw from the mini? I liked that in version 6. V7 requires me to start the main application and will not generate through the mini.

Not sure what you mean. You can generate new passwords from the 1Password 7 mini -- it'd be a lot less useful if you couldn't. In the new mini, things are a bit differently-laid out. You'll find it here:

Let us know if you have any other questions or issues! :)

• ewiesner26
    ewiesner26
    Community Member

I once had both the website version and the Mac App store version, and that was a problem. Not sure why and I don't recall why Agilebits had me go with the App store version. I remember something about a multiple versions error...

Ah, OK... I was in EDIT for the current logon and did not see the Password Generator option. The process to change a PW will be a little different than before.

Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ewiesner26 - glad I could help. :) Regarding the Mac App Store version vs our version issue, there was a time after Apple switched iCloud over from the older Documents & Data format to the newer iCloud Drive format during which a lot of this happened. Along with that change, Apple restricted the use of iCloud integration to apps that had been downloaded/purchased from the Mac App Store. That meant users with "our" version of 1Password 4 for Mac were suddenly in the position with 1Password 5 for Mac where they could not sync with iCloud unless they switched over to the Mac App Store version of 1Password. This might've been why we urged you to switch, or it might have been for another reason. But with 1Password 7 from both us and from the Mac App Store being sandboxed at this point, there's fewer compelling reasons to keep the Mac App Store version of 1Password. Not NO reasons, but if you don't care which one you have, you can certainly switch without much issue. Just a thought.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@Lars I have found at least one incident (or website?) where the password generator does not show itself as per your picture. There is definitely something odd going on. On that particular occasion, I had to get a new password by editing the logon itself. Afterwards I discovered it had re-saved the old password back (I found the password in "view password history". It took me ages to find out what had happened.

• @JamesHenderson If this happens again, could you post the steps that took you there? It's difficult to fix something if we can't reproduce it, so reliable steps to reproduce it are a start.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

@Jacob yes, fair enough - my comment isn't very helpful without specifics. I think I know which website it was, so will try and recreate the issue and let you guys know.

• Sounds good, thanks mate!

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

...is there a way to list the order of modification for just the password (for me to find the website in question as the one I thought it was, wasn't)? ...I ask because I have done the whole "unsecured website" thing and so have modified a lot of entries in the last few days.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JamesHenderson - unfortunately not. You can sort by quite a few factors, but editing ONLY of the password field isn't one of them.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

OK, thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.