1Password 7 - You guys need to test more... A lot more

bergdesign
bergdesign
Community Member

Just upgraded to 7 and signed up for a membership instead of upgrading a stand-alone license. Not a good experience in general, and that's surprising from a company that's given me a pretty good experience in all past versions.

I was originally lost in the question of "upgrading my existing license costs how much?", but then it appears that over the next few days you upgraded your web site and added some more info about non-membership licenses, probably due to user feedback from sites like MacUpdate. I understand that you have had free upgrades for several previous versions, so why don't you emphasize this fact since it makes it much easier to swallow a $65 price dropped to only $50 for the upgrade? So initially, I ignored the $50 upgrade price and decided to stay with version 6 while I pondered the membership option instead, but I really don't like trusting a company to host my most sensitive info, so I was now on the fence regarding this membership option. I trust Apple, and I almost trust Dropbox, but now I'm going to also have to trust AgileBits and that's a stretch. It took a few trips to the forum and this thread - https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/82646/multiple-questions-about-access-and-authentication - to help me trust you guys enough to sign up for a membership. So getting an existing customer to upgrade to version 7 to took some serious research and thought on my part, and this kind of upgrade decision should come easily for your customers.

So with that decision now made, I should be able to migrate to 7, move my vaults to your server, and clean up the cruft left behind on my machine from my previous local vaults and vaults stored on iCloud and Dropbox. Not so easy :/

I'm a simple user with two vaults, one primary vault that I use every day and one archive vault that stores old items that expired or may never be used again. The primary vault sync'ed to iCloud and the archive vault sync'ed to Dropbox, since previously 1Password wouldn't allow iCloud to sync more than one vault and I had to have off-site backup for both vaults for data-loss reasons. Once I signed up for the membership and 1P logged me in, I now had a new vault on your server, two old vaults locally, and two old vaults sitting on iCloud and Dropbox, plus a folder of backups somewhere in my Library folder where 1P keeps them. Common sense says "lets copy or move the old vaults to the new server, then delete the old ones, delete the sync settings, and delete my old backups", but there was no UI for copying or moving vaults and no obvious way to delete a vault. Plus, searching the forum for "how to delete a vault" brought up screenshots of an edit vault dialog that does not match what you see in 7.

Again, it took a trip to the forums to find out that I have to move/copy my vault items individually to the server unless I have a single vault in which case 1P will help migrate it to the server. This would be really nice to know without having to dig through the forums since there is no UI that suggests how to move my multiple vaults to the server or any dialog that says that I need to move items individually. I can't drag vaults nor are there menu items to move or copy them, and dragging items individually is not the intuitive solution to moving entire vaults.

So a short while later, I have renamed my new personal vault, created a new archive vault and moved my individual items up to their respective vaults on the server. Now its time to get rid of the old local vaults and turn off the sync'ing... You'd think the "..." menus in the sidebar for the vaults would include a delete vault option, but no. You'd then think that the vaults tab of the preferences would have a way to delete a vault, but no. And the Vault menu has a "delete vault" menu item, but it's grayed out for some reason for both vaults. And the forum results for "how to delete a vault" show edit vault dialogs with a delete button that doesn't match the UI in version 7. F*ck.

So some random combination of fiddling, disabling the iCloud and Dropbox sync'ing for both vaults, and deleting items from my local vaults finally enables the "delete vault" item under the Vault menu for each, and voila, the local vaults and sync'ed vaults are gone. Now to get rid of the old backups, but now the preferences tab for backups is now gone. F*ck.

The backup files are still there, mind you, but I have no idea how to find them other than to dig through my Library folder. Not a pleasant experience, and I'm a software dev that knows how to dig through things. So after searching for "1Password" and finding the wrong subfolders, I finally find "agilebits" and its container with the old backups, and ditch them manually. So I've finally cleaned up my local data and it's time to use 1P to identify vulnerable and weak passwords that need to be updated...

The first web site that I go to to update an old password asks for my old password plus a new password twice. I type in my old password and use Safari to suggest a new one, Safari then fills both new fields, I hit the form save button, 1P asks to save the info, and I'm good. Or so I think. Usually, the password is saved but the username is wrong since it's not a login form but rather an update form, so I go the the new entry to correct 1P's username data, but not only is the username wrong but so is the password - it's the old one. So I go to Safari's prefs to look at the saved passwords, but it has an entry for the website with no username and no saved password. F*ck. Now I have to use a "forgot password" routine on that website to get to a state where I can log in, then update the entry in 1P to fix things. Why does 1P not identify the correct form fields to save? When you inspect the form elements in Safari, it's pretty obvious which one is the old/current one and which ones are the new ones, and you obviously have to have this logic in 1P for saving new login info. Did you change something in 1P 7 and not even test it? I can send a snapshot of the inspector window with the relevant portion of the HTML visible to see the form element names.

So in general, the experience has not been what I would expect from AgileBits. It doesn't look like much thought, effort or testing was made to help existing users migrate forward. These are the symptoms of newer unexperienced programmers, and I feel like you guys have been financially successful enough to avoid this pitfall.

Brock Brandenberg

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bergdesign: You're right. We've identified some issues specifically with existing local vault users upgrading and simultaneously switching to an account and addressed them in 7.0.2. I'm sorry that you ran into issues with that, and that the improvements we've made were too late to help you. I just wish you'd reached out to us before going through all of that by yourself.

Regarding the issue you encountered in the browser, we haven't made changes to how this works in version 7. I'd like to know the URL so we can test this to improve it. While there was no need to do a password reset (1Password automatically saves a generated password when you use it as a safety net, and logins contain password history), but we'd rather make 1Password smarter about dealing with the page in the first place than relying on that. Again, I'm sorry you ran into that. We'll continue working to make it better. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.