1Password 6.9 for iOS and QR Code Scan

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited May 2018 in iOS

I attempted to sign in to 1Password 6.9 but could not get in from the 1Password QR Code. I kept getting 1Password update needed when v6.9 is the furthest I can get for a 32bit CPU iPad.

I cannot go to iOS 11 from this old iPad 4.

I cannot login to 1Password.com even though 1Password 6.9 supports subscription. I already have 1Password 7.0 on other devices.

1Password Version: v6.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.3.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Crumpler
    Crumpler
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, the same is true for me: I'm stuck on 1Password for iOS v6.9.1 on my iPad due to 32bit hardware, and the app will not let me sign in to my 1Password.com account.
    Scanning the QR code for the account setup from another device works as it should and the correct credentials are shown after doing so. However, I also get the same message "1Password update needed" whenever I try to complete the login procedure.

I did some poking around the support forums, but couldn't find anything related so far.
    As to the hardware/software in question, I should be fine using 1Password accounts with this version of the app according to 1Password's system requirements page
    And my account itself seems to be fine and is working flawlessly on several other devices and platforms.

Any help would be much appreciated!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Crumpler, @wkleem: I'm going to go out on a limb here: you've both enabled the new two-factor authentication on your 1Password.com accounts, right? If so, that's why you're running into this issue. The old version doesn't know anything about this new feature, and the only message it can give you is that an update is required to connect, which is true so long as you have two-factor authentication enabled. So you'll either need to turn that off, or update your device so it can stay up to date with 1Password and its features as well. Sorry for the confusion that caused.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I had not set up Duo for the iPad at the time as I thought Duo would have worked through my phone.Duo is now set up for my iPad.

I just remembered Duo went live for standalone apps only 1 or 2 months ago?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I am uncertain if it is related, but on Windows with 1Password 7 Beta v7.0.558, I have gotten a red banner stating an authentication failure again. Do I need to generate a diagnostic report for iOS?

• Crumpler
    Crumpler
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @brenty, good call asking about 2FA. That seems to be the source of my failed log-ins - and a rather obvious one now you've pointed it out. And suddenly, the up to now rather misleading error message does actually make some sense :chuffed:

I think for the time being, I'll set up 1P on the iPad with a local vault containing copies of my basic items only, as I don't use the device that often and I rather like the added security from having 2FA enabled :+1:
    In the long run, however, I guess some new(er) tech is in order...

Thank you for helping out here.
    Oh and btw, the new version 7 for macOS and Windows is awesome! Keep it up!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @Crumpler. :)

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@wkleem

I’m not entirely sure I follow, but if the issue is with 1Password 7 for Windows I’d suggest starting a thread in that category. :+1:

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,

Thanks. Back to email for follow up. I will have to look at 2FA/Duo for resolution? Duo is currently enabled. It worked before but back then Duo was in Beta for Teams and the was no 1Password/Duo for Standalone apps..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: If you have any second factor authentication method enabled, support for that did not exist in the old versions of the apps, as that's a new addition. You will either need to update or disable that.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

I have disabled Duo for the moment.

• Ben
    Options

:+1:

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Working now, but without the Duo Mobile part being active. Now might be a time to try TOTP?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Neither Duo nor the TOTP two-factor authentication are something the old iOS app knows about. It will not be able to authenticate with either enabled on the account.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! I'll leave it off then.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If it helps, no one is going to be able to decrypt your data without your Secret Key and Master Password anyway. :sunglasses:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi

I have a question which is that TOTP for 1Password isn't going to work when TOTP is supported in 1Password for iOS Pro features? Membership unlocks the Pro features for 1Password 6 and 7.

https://support.1password.com/pro-features/

"Store one-time passwords. No need to use a separate app or text messages for two-factor authentication."

• Ben
    Options

I’m not entirely sure I understand the question... but we don’t recommend using 1Password to store it’s own TOTP codes (unless also using a 3rd party app). Doing so puts you in the very real scenario of locking yourself out of your 1Password data.

That recommendation doesn’t affect 1Password’s ability to generate TOTP codes for other services.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I might be confusing the role of TOTP. Will one device only, everything I do be in 1Password, Duo, Google Authenticator in the iPhone. If I lose that device I will be inconvenienced greatly. Unfortunately I do carry one device most times.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Then it's a really good idea to save an Emergency Kit with all of your account credentials — including TOTP secret, if you've enabled two-factor authentication on your 1Password.com account — and keep them in a secure location in case you ever need them.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi

With the Duo that I set up prior to this issue with my iPad 4, I had multiple devices on Duo and it worked with the inclusion of my iPad 4. It does not work anymore but I was certain it used to work as an authenticating device.

Anyway Duo has been disabled in 1Password.com

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Yep. You're completely right. Previously, when there was only Duo support, and this was only available in the 1Password Teams Pro plan, this was not used at all in the apps, only when signing into the website. With the introduction of broader two-factor support with our own implementation in addition to Duo, we added this to the apps themselves, and this is enforced by the server during authentication. So older versions of the apps that don't know about this requirement simply cannot authenticate with two-factor of any kind enabled on the account. Sorry for the confusion there, but I hope this helps clarify the change.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

Thanks for the update!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time. Have great weekend! :) :+1:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

I had Duo and 1Password set to Recover my Duo account. However, because I disabled Duo from 1Password, the instructions from Duo seemed to get confused. I could not get Duo reconnect when asked to. I tried this from Android Oreo

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm not sure how that relates to 1Password. It sounds like maybe Duo needs to update their instructions. Is that the case?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I previously was signed in to Duo and 1Password Teams but I have now disabled Duo for 1Password, as discussed earlier. I'll check with Duo.

• Ben
    Options

Okay. :)

Ben

• rudy
    edited July 2018
    Options

@wkleem,

Hopefully you're talking about a scenario where you've updated your devices past 6.9, as 6.9 is not compatible with Duo or 1Password.com MFA.

https://support.1password.com/system-requirements/?ios

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy

Not all devices can be updated to iOS11/12.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yep. :)

This discussion has been closed.