No log in option for 1Password 7 for Mac

Options
mercuryrsng
mercuryrsng
Community Member

I am a long time 1Password user and I just signed up for a free trial for the 1Password.com account. I was successful in signing into and migrating my vaults on my iOS devices but I am having a hard time on my Mac.

As I open the recently downloaded application, I am presented with two options. I can either 'Subscribe Today, Get your first month FREE' or I can purchase a license. There is no option to log into an existing account.

If I choose to sign up for the free trial, for a split second I see a screen where I can sign into an existing account. But, the screen rapidly changes (literally a split second) and then I am presented with a text box asking for an email address. If I enter in my email address, the application tells me that I already have an account and I have no choice but to move back to the main screen again....with the two options still being to sign up for a free trial or purchase a license.

I am at a complete standstill at this point.

How can I sign into my existing account?
I am currently using Mac OS High Sierra.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: 1Password.com Account

Comments

• DamnDingo
    DamnDingo
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem.
    I created my account on 1 Mac and when i try to login at my second Mac. I only have the option to subscribe (which i did) but then i cant lock on to the account i created on the first Mac. The only option i have is to create a new account then.

• jtucker
    jtucker
    Community Member
    Options

@mercuryrsng & @DamnDingo

I also have the exact same problem. I "had" it, actually; I managed to do some weird things and get past it.

Here's how I did it: I eventually chose the "standalone license" option from that screen. It then gave me the login screen to 1Password, "log in to complete your purchase". I logged in and saw the window to complete the purchase which was waiting for credit card info. I just closed that window with the red button and went to 1Password Preferences to add the 1Password account information and complete my unique configuration preferences. It seems to have finally worked There were a couple of restarts, multiple quits of 1Password, and one complete reinstall in the middle of all this but I don't think those were relevant.

For the AgileBits folks: This kind of stuff annoys me immensely!!! I spent a few years working in (and later managing) a software QA group, so I completely understand the huge difficulties in that effort. But seriously, being able to install the software in various scenarios is the VERY FIRST requirement. It looks to me like it was only tested in a couple of relatively pristine configurations or else the process depends on some server-side code that was recently changed without being tested. The install on my first Mac a few days ago was also broken and difficult, although the symptoms were different.

I have been a 1Password user since it was first released a decade ago and I would be lost without it. But this has been a terrible rollout, based on my experiences over the last week and on reading all the forum messages about confusion and problems.

• reysKeys
    reysKeys
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I have exactly the same problem. There appears to be no way to install 1Password 7 on a second mac and log into the account you set up on the first computer. There's an initial screen that forces you to import data from 1Password 6 (don't want to do that either) - then forces you to sign up for a new account. I'm at the point of giving up right now - just simply can't understand how to set up 1password on a second Mac - which is completely essential for this product to work properly. This make makes absolutely no sense. 1password people - you need to either fix this problem or make it clear what we are doing wrong (I'm open to the possibility that I'm missing something obvious here), but I'm not even going to consider getting a subscription to this product until simple stuff like this is working properly. Remember - this is basic - we are entrusting you with our passwords - if we can't figure out how to install the app with the same account on a second computer - where's the trust here? If you can post something here that explains what I need to do, I'm still open to upgrading.

ref: IEH-73773-487

• jtucker
    jtucker
    Community Member
    Options

I think the response from @Ben here provides a clue to what's happening, at least in my case, even though that discussion is about standalone license:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/432910/#Comment_432910

Also this one from @Lars

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/432745#Comment_432745

They use iCloud to sync license information. That may apply to standalone as well as memberships. It behaves as if when no iCloud credentials are found they assume you need to either purchase a membership or license.

That is a terribly incorrect assumption.

It implies the 1Password license or membership is associated with an AppleID. But there is no requirement for that by AgileBits and there are all kinds of reasons why I might want to use my 1Password vault with any number of my AppleIDs.

For example, on my laptop, I have two user accounts, each with a separate primary ID. One is my "personal" account which I use daily and the other is the "family organizer" account which I use primarily if I need to change something in our family sharing setup. Both will need my 1Password vault.

There needs to be a simple option to sign into an existing 1Password.com account regardless of whether there's anything about it in 1Password's iCloud data. (Or in the case that Ben was replying to, an option to enter an existing standalone license key.)

My apologies to the QA folks, I now think it's more likely due to faulty understanding by the developers of the use cases and how people will want to install 1Password than to incomplete testing by QA.

• davegarratt
    davegarratt
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I agree - I also have 2 accounts for 2 machines. My laptop which is always with me and a Mac mini which I use to run a home security system. The latter has a different Apple ID as the machine could be physically stolen and I want to mitigate the risks. Both are my machines and both have 1Password sync'd via Dropbox. I would want to use the same licence code for both my machines.

ref: ICL-89517-842

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi to everybody in this conversation (@mercuryrsng @DamnDingo @jtucker @reysKeys @davegarratt)

Despite all the first launch testing we did we did manage to completely miss one scenario and that's despite the solid efforts of at least one individual in testing and purging and re-purging. Once we realised our mistake we did wonder how on earth we let that slip past us given previous versions of 1Password didn't make this mistake.

1Password 7.0.2 is now out and should make installing a fresh copy of 1Password on a clean machine with existing data elsewhere a lot easier... as in possible from the first launch screens. We do apologise for this omission and I have no doubt there will be a number of small updates to 1Password to refine and fine tune the new toys and interface as we learn more about the gotchas not caught in beta.

This discussion has been closed.