Cannot import 1Password 6 into v7

Options
Regent12
Regent12
Community Member

Ahh, so much fun. After so many years of having Zero issues with 1Password (early adopter)... I'm having a terrible year with my favorite app.

I've now had months of not being able to unlock 1Password Mini in the browser (refuses my correct Master PW, and often rejects it in the main app, too... after multiple emails with support, issue finally escalated, then told it was a 'known issue' being worked on, hopefully fixed soon (Back in February) Never fixed.

Thought perhaps I would try the upgrade to v7 and hopefully bypass any issue... but alas, not to be.

Downloaded v7.0.1, activated Trial subscription. Asked me to unlock my v6 data with master pw. Entered it about 6 or 7 times with no luck, just kept asking for it, without giving me any error message. Seemed to be stuck in a loop.

Quit v7, restarted app. Choose "Import" then select 1Password 6 (Where is your Data coming from?). Attempts to point me to files in Application support, but everything there is 'empty.' I use Dropbox for sync, so I navigate to the 1Password.opvault there, but it isn't even highlighted as an option, i.e. no way to choose that file to import. Same thing happens if I choose 1Password Keychain to import.

Help!

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @Regent12

The import function of 1Password expects a .1pif file, not the OPVault keychain. Do you still have 1Password 6 available to you? If you do, you can use it to export a .1pif file that you can then import to 1Password 7. Either that, or we can use the synced Dropbox data to transfer it over and then migrate that to membership account, if that is what you want to do.

• Regent12
    Regent12
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Corey_C, that was close to what I was planning to try. After posting here the other day, I had to delete v7, unzip v6 (which was done automatically by the v7 installation). However, I kept getting errors when I tried to export all items from v6! (Kept asking for Master PW, but wouldn't accept it, multiple times.) Anyhow... just tried again and was able to export the .1pif file, finally.

We'll see what happens when I untrash 1Password 7... as it never allowed me to save the Emergency Kit (with the secret key).
    (I manage a 1P team account for work, so am very familiar with the usual setup!)

I'll post again or email support if I get stuck again.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Sure thing @Regent12. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

• Regent12
    Regent12
    Community Member
    Options

OK, @Corey_C so these are the options presented under import:

Neither of the first two (1Password Keychain, or 1Password 6) will accept the file I just exported from 1Password 6.
    The filename ends in .1pif but it is actually a folder??

Very confusing! (and I'm usually quite good at this sort of thing!)

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Regent12 You're right, that is strange. I haven't actually played around with the import options much. Click the "Other" option and then you should be able to import the .1pif file.

Turns out the 1Password 6 option is looking for a different filetype, an sqlite file stored in 1Password's data folder.

• Regent12
    Regent12
    Community Member
    Options

OK, update... with some feedback for the Team!
    I was finally now able to import the .1pif file into 1Password 7.
    BUT, I had to select the "Older 1Password" option to do this, for some reason. I exported from the most recent build of 1Password 6 (6.8.9).

@Corey_C I see you just posted while I was writing this. You mentioned an sqlite file... that never worked for me either.
    At any rate... the Upgrade/Import path from v6 obviously needs some attention. If someone wants to get in touch about everything else I tried, I can try to write up more details.

Thanks again.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, as you can see @Regent12, that's what I was going to tell you to do. I believe your initial import problems had to do with your issues with your Master Password, but it is definitely something to look into. The important part is that everything is working properly now, right?

• Regent12
    Regent12
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Corey_C. All the primary data looks like it was imported... but as I just posted in another thread, I lost ALL of my carefully curated folders. None were converted to tags. (I had a LOT of client folders)

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Well that's not a good thing @Regent12. The folders would get converted when going through the proper process. Seems like they are not when doing the .1pif import. Hmm, well, since we still have access to the 1Password 6 data, we can try going through the proper process again.

Move the items you just imported to the trash (click an item then in the menu bar, Edit>Select All, Item Move to Trash). Worst comes to worst we can always import them back. Now, open up 1Password's preferences and go to Advanced. At the bottom, there is an option for local vaults, check it, and enter your Master Password. That should make a "Primary" vault available. Sync that vault with Dropbox as you would previously using the Sync in Preferences and all your data (presumably with all your folders intact) should populate. Once that is done, on the left hand side it should say "All Vaults", click that and then choose your Personal vault. Then go to Help>Tools. There are a couple of options that will be useful to you, Migrate Primary Vault Account and Migrate Folders to Tags. Both of those should help you in terms of properly migrating your data over to the Membership vault.

Once that is all done, go back to Advanced preferences and disable the local vaults option.

• Regent12
    Regent12
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that's a lovely idea, but now that I've trashed everything as you suggested... it's not recognizing my Master PW for the local vault.
    (Even after quitting and reopening 1Password 7... which usually worked with v6 to get it to recognize the Master PW after similar issues.)

I'll try again late tonight or tomorrow morning...

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Oy, if need be, one of the benefits of membership is that you can easily restore things from the trash. Hopefully we can get this all sorted and you can get away from that problematic local vault. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

• Regent12
    Regent12
    Community Member
    Options

By the way, my local vault is in Dropbox (Apps/1Password/)
    Would that cause an issue when trying the approach you suggested above? Would v7 be looking somewhere else for the local vault?
    (I've already unsynced my two iOS devices from the Dropbox vault)

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, 1Password looks for your Dropbox vault in whatever location you tell it to look when setting up sync.

• Regent12
    Regent12
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Almost all of that worked >_<

I successfully synced the local Dropbox vault, migrated Primary Vault Account... then did convert folders to tags... watched it beachball for a while... and then... NO new tags, no folders. (I think it identified about 30 folders during import.)

So, that's something else that is buggy unfortunately. I'll cut my losses and work on reorganizing items later.
    Thanks for all your suggestions, much appreciated.

(BTW...I may have figured out a possible issue with the Master PW I was using. I won't specify here, but it had to do with the last few characters... which 1Password 7 didn't accept or save when I set it up. SO, the software and I disagreed on what the Master PW was. But that's for another day...)

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the trouble, @Regent12. The tool did identify the folders, so I'm not quite sure why it didn't covert them. If you are okay reorganizing later then we can go with that. I'll pass on the issues to our dev team.

• Regent12
    Regent12
    Community Member
    Options

For future reference, it seems that you have to use the Convert Folders to Tags tool (on the local vault) before running the Migrate Primary Vault Account tool. Perhaps that should have been obvious to me, but I ran them in the order you suggested above. When I started the whole process over again, I reversed the order, which worked. Thanks.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Aha, there we go! Hey, at least we have this thread now for people to see what does and doesn't work. Good to hear you got it all sorted.

• Regent12
    Regent12
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, that's why I decided to document as much of this as possible!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

We very much appreciate it, thanks. :)

• vjkane
    vjkane
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Regent12! I too have used (and recommended) 1Password for many years - this is the first problem I've had migrating. Silly me, I thought 1Password would just transfer everything over from 6 to 7! Your "Older 1Password" comment saved the day for me!! Thanks again!

• Regent12
    Regent12
    Community Member
    Options

Oh great, @vjkane... glad to hear my comments were helpful!
    (And if the product team is listening, that 'import screen' could clearly use some love!)

• Jacob
    Options

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.