Tried to upgrade from V6 to V7. My master password is too short and can't be entered!

hankfeir
hankfeir
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

I have been a 1Password users for many years and recommend it frequently. I use it many times per day. I was running Version 6 on my iMac and downloaded Version 7.01. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to buy or subscribe. I couldn't find the purchase price unless I selected buy . I decided I wanted to subscribe instead. In the process of all of this, my vault was upgraded to the new OPVault. When I tried to subscribe, the application treated me as a new user and asked for a master password as well as my name and email. When I entered the current master password that I have been using for years, it tells me it's too short (minimum is 10 characters) and won't accept my current master password. I also have 1Password on two iPads, an iPhone and two other Macs. Those versions use my old, "too short", password. I didn't enter a new password. I use DropBox to sync. I noticed that the Agile password file on the iMac on which I installed Version 7 is different than on my other Macs that still have version 6. Obviously, I don't want to lose my 1Password file with all of my passwords, confidential data, etc. What do I do? Please respond promptly. If I can't use 1Password, this is a huge problem for me!

Thanks,

Hank

1Password Version: 7.01
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @hankfeir,

When creating a Master Password for a 1Password membership, there are some requirements such as a minimum length. What you need to do is pick a new, longer Master Password to use with your membership account and then you will be given an opportunity to migrate your data over to the new membership.

It has been some time, so what is your current situation, being mindful that this is a public forum?

• hankfeir
    hankfeir
    Community Member

I figured out that the password for the membership does not have to be the same as for my vaults. Am I correct, or am I skating on thin ice? I've now been able to convert all of my devices (iOS and Mac) to the membership. Things seem to be Okay, and I need to delete some older vaults that are still existing. This all seems a bit complicated, but I guess I get it. Please confirm or not that my assumption stated above is correct or not. One additional question, if I want to change my vault password do I have to do it on each device separately, or if I change it on one device will it propagate to all of the others? Thanks for getting back to me.

• hankfeir
    hankfeir
    Community Member

Corey, If we need to continue to discuss this, can we do it by email. I'm concerned that if I give additional information on this forum it will be too public. AgileBits obviously has my email because I received a notice that you had replied to me. Thanks, Hank

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

@hankfeir You are correct. Your Master Password for your 1Password membership does not need to be the same as what you used for your standalone vaults. It can be different and the new Master Password is the one you need to remember from now on once you get all your data transferred over.

Once you have all your devices linked to your 1Password account, if you change your account password it will change for all of your devices automatically.

We can absolutely take things to email if you wish to. Feel free to email support@agilebits.com at any time.

ref: XXL-58614-154

• hankfeir
    hankfeir
    Community Member

Hi Corey, Thanks again for following up with me. I would like to move this conversation to email. I need to understand the data transferred statement because I think I've already transferred the data but am not sure if I've done it correctly. Obviously, doing all of this correctly is very important to me. One concern I have is that the iOS apps are using a different Master Password than the Mac apps. I have a support case filed. I don't know if it's prudent to post the case number here. I hope that you can find it. I created it tonight and received the case number in an email received at about 7:55 pm CDT, May 28. Thanks again, Hank

• @hankfeir Sounds good! I see you got in touch and Steve is helping out. He's waiting for a Diagnostics Report from you, so please send that over when you get a chance and we'll continue helping. :)

This discussion has been closed.