Security Questions on Websites

Options
Kylereilly
Kylereilly
Community Member

I like the enhancements in version 7, but is there a way to store Security questions in 1P?

Currently, many websites have 3-5 security questions (ie where were you born, your first car, etc). Currently, I just store them in the Notes section for each item, but isn't there a way to somehow store them within the file so I can click on it instead of having to manually look/read/type in the security answer?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I've not done this for ages, but once upon a time I made several logins for a site, each created manually with an answer to one security question in each. But storing in note is perhaps the commoner and easier approach.

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options
  • MrRooni
    Options

@Kylereilly Great question! Here's what I do:

• Kylereilly
    Kylereilly
    Community Member
    Options

I just used the notes section for each item - I didn't know until now there was a custom field. Might take a bit more time though, as it looks like you have individual password fields within each.... Any plans to somehow integrate within 1P (ie. to save as I'm entering a new registration form)?

One more thing - I love password generator, but many times I have to constantly fiddle with it, because it doesn't meet the requirements. Some sites want a capital, some only letters and numbers, some special characters - is there a plan or a way to have 1P know the requirements for each site (using something similar to a watchtower database)? ie. if I have it setup to 4 word passwords like you do, but a site requires a special charter, it automatically suggests one with a special character? Does that make sense?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kylereilly

Any plans to somehow integrate within 1P.

Not currently. The trend these days is moving away from Security Questions, as they've been (correctly) identified as not that secure, so we're less likely to add that level of extra complication into the 1Password filling/saving apparatus. But thanks for making your voice heard.

Regarding 1Password's Password Generator, yes; that's something we're looking into adjusting. The problem, as you correctly identified there, is that it seems every site wants something different, and thus it's very difficult to add meaningful controls that a) help out across more password-generation situations than it hinders and b) doesn't run the risk of people inadvertently DEcreasing their overall password security. But it's definitely something we continue to evaluate.

• ossiejhmoore
    ossiejhmoore
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Actually I do this all the time. It isn't automatic, but it is easy and works better than just using a note field.

Storing Answers:

1. On the security question screen of the website, edit your 1Password entry.
    2. Add a new section called "Security Questions"
    3. Add a new field naming the field so I'll associate it with the question. For example, if the question is "What was your favorite teacher in high school", I will name the field something like "Favorite Teacher" then I change the field type from text filed to "password" field and generate a random string.
    4. Repeat step 3 for each security question.

Using Stored Answers:

Later, when you return to the site, you just click on the icon, expand the entry to reveal the question/answers, and copy/paste the answer from 1Password to the field.

This is great because it gives you a manageable and easy way to have random expressions as the answers to questions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ossiejhmoore - thanks for the tip! This is, in fact, the way we suggest you store such security questions when you run into them, just like mrrooni mentioned up above.

• Kylereilly
    Kylereilly
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you all

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kylereilly - you're quite welcome! Glad we were able to assist. :)

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Please delete , sorry.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No harm done. Happy New Year! :)

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for a password generator enhancement to exclude characters sites don't like in their passwords (which has always perplexed me -- why do they care what characters are in my passwords?? But I digress....)

+1 for autofill support of these stupid security questions. I totally agree that sites should not be using them, but I hope 1P will consider helping their users out who have to use these crummy sites. In my case, United Airlines very annoying web site has pre-canned questions with pre-canned answers both selected from menus. And if you get them wrong just twice, boom, locked out. And I quite often have to use the same browser to sign in and out of the accounts for each of my family members. And guess what, after each sign in -- it resets the tracker cookies, making me have to do these security questions over and over.

For now, I am doing the custom Security Questions section to at least make sure I manually don't screw them up -- but boy, if 1P could look these up by label and automatically select the right menu item, I would be ecstatic. Yes, I totally agree 1P should not have to support such hideous web sites... but pretty please?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BLD - we are indeed looking into refinements for the Password Generator in 1Password, to make it more flexible and easy to use. I don't have any sort of roadmap to share on that score right now, but it's on our radar screen. :)

This discussion has been closed.