No more perpetual license option for Mac OS?

Options
Mork
Mork
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

With 1Password 7 is the perpetual license option gone for good?

I don't mind paying a fair amount for an upgrade, but subscriptions are off the table for me.

Please don't try to convince me the of the subscription system's merit. I understand it's all about cash flow (mine leaving, regularly).

If no more perpetual license is available, I'll use 1P 6 until it stops working (after many years with your company) and then switch to a less convenient but free password manager.

I hope you still have and honor the perpetual license option.

Please advise.

Thanks,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @Mork

Standalone licenses are still available for purchase within the app. The only place they cannot be purchased is from the Mac App Store. Download 1Password 7 from our website at https://1password.com/downloads/ and you will be able to purchase a license from within the app itself if you choose to.

I'm not going to try and convince you to switch to a membership as you have made it clear you are not interested, but I do feel the need to correct something. This is not a situation of trying grab as much money as possible. If it was, a 1Password membership would not, in almost all instances, be cheaper than buying a standalone license.

• Mork
    Mork
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

There are assumptions in it being cheaper. For example, how often you would come out with a new version, etc.

Plus, I do not want to store any information in the cloud. My pw data needs to be local.

I appreciate your reply. :)

Thanks Corey.

• Jacob
    Options

Totally. The nice thing about a 1Password membership is that you don't have to think about that at all. But if you prefer a license, you can certainly buy one – we don't mind, and we want you to use 1Password the way that works best for you. We've just noticed that 1Password memberships typically work best for most people. :)

• eradicatereality
    eradicatereality
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hello! I wanted to know if this was still the case that you can buy a perpetual license in the app?

I have 1PW 6 on Mac OSX from a purchased family perpetual licenses. Like OP, I'm happy to pay for an updated perpetual license for 1PW7, but the subscription models don't work for me. The update page: https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/ suggests that I can still "purchase a license" in the app when I upgrade to 1PW 7, but I wanted to confirm my understanding of this page. It does not specifically state "perpetual license," and I want to ensure before I update that I won't lose my ability to have a perpetual license. (Otherwise I can just stick with 1PW 6 and not update!)

I love 1PW and recommend it to everyone (and yes many people do like the subscription model), but since the subscription doesn't work for me, I wanted to get additional up-to-date confirmation of this ability before I make any possibly irreversible changes.

Thank you so much!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@eradicatereality:

I wanted to know if this was still the case that you can buy a perpetual license in the app?

Yes, you can still buy a standalone license in the app :+1:

It does not specifically state "perpetual license," and I want to ensure before I update that I won't lose my ability to have a perpetual license.

Just to clarify however: there is no such thing as a perpetual license. If you buy a license for 1Password 7, you will be able to use it with 1Password 7 for as long as you want, but future major upgrades (such as to 1Password 8 or 9) will likely require a paid license upgrade.

• eradicatereality
    eradicatereality
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ana! Appreciate the quick response. To give some context to the below, I'm a bit frustrated, but not at you!... it seems like someone expected more than they should have from their perpetual license and now it's become company policy not to use the clear term... I'm not sure what kind of user came and over-interpreted perpetual and somehow decided that it meant "every product in the line that you make ever" that there is now such a debate on this. It stinks! I feel like this was really clear, and now because someone had unreasonable expectations, it's not anymore.

As far as I have always understood this, there are two license models: subscription (in which the user pay on some regular basis or the lose access to the software) and perpetual (in which the user pays once and can use the software for as long as their systems will support it.

The problem with calling it a "standalone" but NOT a "perpetual" license is confusing especially when you add "there is no such thing as a perpetual license." That lack of clearly using the term "perpetual" is why I felt like I had to come to the forums to ask-- because it's really otherwise unclear.

"Standalone" doesn't have the clear industry meaning that "perpetual" does. I assume when you say "standalone" you mean offline and not connected to the servers and syncing structure... which does not tell me about the costs, which is why I used the common term "perpetual" that is used to contrast against a "subscription" model.

> "A perpetual software license is a type of software license that authorizes an individual to use a program indefinitely. Generally, outside of termination, a perpetual software license allows the holder to use a specific version of a given software program continually with payment of a single fee."

In asking if there is a perpetual license, I'm asking, can I keep using the software that I purchase without needed to pay an additional fee for the specific software that I am purchasing --- not for future versions of the software.

As I said, I imagine that someone thought they could just get every full new version forever, which seems nuts to me and have ruined it for the rest of us. But I'm just trying to ensure clarity on the payment structure (perpetual vs subscription) vs syncing structure (cloud-based vs standalone).

I am interpreting all this to mean that your answer really is, "Yes it's a 'perpetual' license for 1Password 7 and therefore it will not require any further payment for the 1Password 7 software as long as it functions on your system (ie. will not be serviced forever for compatibility); and that license will likely not include a license to future new software such as 1Password 8."

As we move towards more and more subscription models in general, I guess we'll have to find language that everyone feels comfortable with to clearly express both the use and the fee structures.

Thanks so much for your help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@eradicatereality:

In asking if there is a perpetual license, I'm asking, can I keep using the software that I purchase without needed to pay an additional fee for the specific software that I am purchasing --- not for future versions of the software.

Certainly yes :+1: If you buy 1Password 7 for example, you can use 1Password 7 for as long as you like (or for as long as it works on your system in the future). Buying a license means that you get access to the specific version of the software you purchased, and minor upgrade within that version.

I am interpreting all this to mean that your answer really is, "Yes it's a 'perpetual' license for 1Password 7 and therefore it will not require any further payment for the 1Password 7 software as long as it functions on your system (ie. will not be serviced forever for compatibility); and that license will likely not include a license to future new software such as 1Password 8."

Correct :)

This discussion has been closed.